Caribou Gear Tarp

Will market volatility and or heath concerns with the virus influence your western hunting plans

Will stock market volatility and the virus curb you from heading West to hunt?

• To much financial risk and or health risk in traveling - not going this year

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Risky, will apply and decide later whether to go

Votes: 60 19.0%
  • Not concerned, headed west with no changes planned

Votes: 232 73.7%

• Total voters
I'm definitely with you here...my belief (just my opinion - based on nothing but my gut feeling and uneducated position) is that the lock down is an attempt to space out the cases so that more patients can and will be saved. This may not work at all - the treatments being tested may not work - the infection rate could rise out of control even given our best efforts. BUT you miss 100% of the pitches you dont swing at, and for me personally I feel like we gotta try.
Respectfully, I think this has gotten blown out of proportion by the media and I am not terribly worried at this point about the disease , what I am worried about is people’s mental and financial well being . This is going to be hard on a lot of folks . That lay offs have even started here in little old ND. Not to myself or my wife , I think 🤞we will be safe , but the economic trouble is going to be the worst part of this when all said and I done I think , just my opinion . God bless

As a co-owner of an "essential" business our revenues fell 50% last week, approximately $7500 gross drop. I think our business will be down 60% this week or more. I consider my western hunts as non-essential and will not be cashing in on any draw hunts this year. Best case scenario would be a Colorado OTC if the recovery occurs by that time. I feel like the economy is going to really tank in about 4-6 weeks. When I noticed this last week I begin to circle the wagons and liquidate any non-essential items asap. Perhaps I am over-reacting but the current behavior of sheeples scare me, when the money dries up (3-4) weeks. I have a eerie feeling things are going to get western really fast. Most western states have raised the rates of applying and participating to a point I believe that even "white collar" types like ourselves will be strained to find the disposable income for recreational activities very soon.

As a co-owner of an "essential" business our revenues fell 50% last week, approximately $7500 gross drop. I think our business will be down 60% this week or more. I consider my western hunts as non-essential and will not be cashing in on any draw hunts this year. Best case scenario would be a Colorado OTC if the recovery occurs by that time. I feel like the economy is going to really tank in about 4-6 weeks. When I noticed this last week I begin to circle the wagons and liquidate any non-essential items asap. Perhaps I am over-reacting but the current behavior of sheeples scare me, when the money dries up (3-4) weeks. I have a eerie feeling things are going to get western really fast. Most western states have raised the rates of applying and participating to a point I believe that even "white collar" types like ourselves will be strained to find the disposable income for recreational activities very soon.
Agreed 100% and sorry about your tough times with your business

....need a commiseration icon. Right there with you as are many of my colleagues and local retailers. While ALL of our elected Nero's fiddle.

Gentlemen, I apologize if what I say is interpreted as rude but can we please keep this thread focused on what the OP asked? There are several other Corona virus specific threads related to mortality and infection rates. Again, not trying to be rude, just to try to keep the thread focused. Thank you.

Agreed (y)

I find I have to plan and book most of my out-of-state hunts out at least a year in advance, so the travel restrictions are definitely influencing my decisions.

I'm probably going to focus on CO hunts, and then some NE hunts.

I've decided to just build points this year in MT and WY, UT apps are out the door but lets be honest about my chances there.

I was planning on going to AK, one that front I'm going to hold off any buying tickets till June, and possibly just skipping this year.

Certainly not going to panic cancel, but I'm not going to over extend myself either.

Agreed 100% and sorry about your tough times with your business
No Worries, we will maintain rational decision making, then adapt, improvise and overcome! Keeping the family healthy is our primary concern. We took the risk and have enjoyed the rewards, missing a few hunting trips isn't the end of the world. It's a crystal ball no one can read today, things might do an about face. Fortunately where I am located it's a mecca of southern hunting and fishing opportunities that will keep me occupied for the rest of 2020 and beyond!

I’m not about to pitch this to my wife.... BUT her and her sisters and mom are/were going to Hawaii in early May.

If this keeps up, we’ll have a few thousand more dollars. Could that be another hunting trip!? That’s the part I’m not bringing up outside this forum 😃

Little wrench in this idea.

This trip was booked and paid for through Costco on December 5th.
The fine print says that 100% refund will be given for unforeseen circumstances and events.

They won’t give us our money back because they consider COVID-19 ‘foreseen’.
Either Costco owes the world an explanation how they foresaw this on Dec 5 and didn’t tell anybody or they owe my family a few thousand dollars.

Little wrench in this idea.

This trip was booked and paid for through Costco on December 5th.
The fine print says that 100% refund will be given for unforeseen circumstances and events.

They won’t give us our money back because they consider COVID-19 ‘foreseen’.
Either Costco owes the world an explanation how they foresaw this on Dec 5 and didn’t tell anybody or they owe my family a few thousand dollars.

None of my trip insurances, credit card or purchased third party, would cover COVID either. They claimed pandemic was covered.

None of my trip insurances, credit card or purchased third party, would cover COVID either. They claimed pandemic was covered.
I think they’re going to let us move the dates which will also work us. Will know more soon.

I imagine when all this shakes out there will be a lot of people filing complaints or going to their reps over things like this.

My wife asked me the other day how much I would get back if I asked for a refunds of my MT big game combo . . . Since it's my only western trip I'm really hoping that 20% loss will dissuade her lol.
Unfortunately I’m sure there’s people who applied early March that are now asking for their money back or will be . I won’t be one of them . I’m going in November like normal . Unless the country is still shut down in which case we would all have much bigger problems

I'm still planning on a Spring bear hunt here in Southeast Alaska. Currently most air taxis are continuing to fly people as well as cargo because the cruise ship industry in Southeast is taking a dive until at least July (Who knows how long afterwards?) so they need all the revenue they can get. Most air taxis are reducing hours for regular pilots, and limiting seasonal hires as well. I just learned this morning that some air taxis are only flying cargo, which may restrict the ability of some people to get out to their hunting areas, myself included if it gets to that point. In addition, as it's been noted elsewhere, many of the smaller bush communities and Native villages are trying to limit exposure from people outside their communities that could be carriers. This is something that could affect not just non residents flying up to Alaska to hunt, but also residents as well. Finally, just to note but anyone flying up to Alaska is being asked to self quarantine before going out in public currently. Not sure how this will play out as the Spring turns to Summer, and to Fall.
I was up there during the 911 event. Being stranded in the backcountry and not getting picked up was an adventure in itself. Everything turned out fine. Lot's of planning for you for a back-up plan. Good luck

The government offices where the applications are processed and tags are issued from may not be essential. I'm going to say their is going to be a hugh delay in that process. Plane flights ? I think a 50% decrease in NR applications. Undecided for me.

The government offices where the applications are processed and tags are issued from may not be essential. I'm going to say their is going to be a hugh delay in that process. Plane flights ? I think a 50% decrease in NR applications. Undecided for me.

Yeah but they do a lot of that, if not all of it, remotely. State governments are going to want money just as bad as the rest of us. If interstate travel gets shut down, then we’re outta luck. If not, I doubt that game and fish offices being closed is going to prevent them from issuing tags.

I have no Idea on what im doing this fall had planns to be in montanna over summer taking fiance out west she has never been and to get lay of land in a area I will be hunting or was going to hunt in 2021
And going to Idaho again in september for a week or 2 for archery elk season but at this point my business is shut down due to our Gov. and last 2 customers havent paid yet . So Im kind on hold
Not crying about it many have been hit worse than us, we will take one day at a time and pray for those that this is effecting their lives and not just work and finances

Yeah but they do a lot of that, if not all of it, remotely. State governments are going to want money just as bad as the rest of us. If interstate travel gets shut down, then we’re outta luck. If not, I doubt that game and fish offices being closed is going to prevent them from issuing tags.
I'm sure G&F is working on double overtime trying to get ahead of this. Health dept. is running the show right now and they are only focused on health. $$ is not a concern and thought is "we will worry about that later". I think all will have an impact. Still undecided but running out of time.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back