Caribou Gear Tarp

Will market volatility and or heath concerns with the virus influence your western hunting plans

Will stock market volatility and the virus curb you from heading West to hunt?

• To much financial risk and or health risk in traveling - not going this year

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Risky, will apply and decide later whether to go

Votes: 60 19.0%
  • Not concerned, headed west with no changes planned

Votes: 232 73.7%

• Total voters
The very first 2 hunts on my schedule, IL public land turkey, just got cancelled. Don't even get a refund. Third one in IN is on. Forth & fifth in WI are on right now.

I originally voted that I wouldn’t change plans...but it looks like there are so many unknowns and some states are shutting down spring hunting opportunities. Like many others my spring turkey hunt got cancelled here in IL. I’ve heard rumors that with the uncertainty of this virus, there could be another outbreak in the fall. I’ve applied to one state. I’m gonna leave it that way. Even if I don’t draw, I believe there would be leftover or returned tags to choose from. If not, I’ll figure something else out. I’d rather see people get better.

heard that nebraska just suspended NR turkey hunting this spring

i didn't confirm but i don't doubt it

From the NGPC

error.png;jsessionid=67A3E0D9C98643AAFEA311915A54C579
Nonresident spring turkey permit sales ended 03/30/2020 at 5:30 PM In support of the Governors Executive Order (No. 20-11), the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is suspending the sale of nonresident spring turkey hunting permits in a proactive effort to prevent the potential for the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Game and Parks will stop selling 2020 nonresident spring turkey permits effective immediately. Nonresidents who have purchased permits will be able to use them, but will not be able to purchase additional permits. Nonresidents with Nebraska turkey permits will be contacted by Game and Parks through email in the next week with additional information, including potential refunds. Nebraska's spring turkey season opened March 25 for archers. The shotgun season opens April 11 for youth and April 18 for adults. All turkey seasons close May 31.

Not to be Debbie downer but I am starting to think this whole year will be a loss. I am hearing stay at home orders could go till June. Most “experts” are predicting this firing back up this fall. If that happens, we will either be sick of dealing with it and just power through it or stuff will start getting shut down again, who knows which by that point.

I was originally not going to let this change my plans, but decided last night to pull the plug. Was going to use Dad’s 12 points for a good muzzy elk hunt in the Gunnison area. Now I don’t want to risk using his points and not even being able to go. I’m now going to plan on going OTC or leftover if it’s looking like it’ll be ok to go as it gets closer. Otherwise it’ll be more local hunting this year

U
I was originally not going to let this change my plans, but decided last night to pull the plug. Was going to use Dad’s 12 points for a good muzzy elk hunt in the Gunnison area. Now I don’t want to risk using his points and not even being able to go. I’m now going to plan on going OTC or leftover if it’s looking like it’ll be ok to go as it gets closer. Otherwise it’ll be more local hunting this year
Use your dads points?

I can see people getting tired of the land closures and lost hunting seasons and completely rebelling against the social distancing guidelines if they continue to close down outdoor activities. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but Americans love freedom and they are greedy. The crap is gonna hit the fan at some point and people's "screw everybody else" button is gonna get pushed.

There is a lot of NR Idaho hunting that can be done within a couple hours from my house. I am strongly considering M or G, but even being very close in proximity it's hard to pony up not knowing how states are going to land on this. If I'm that unsure I have to think the average M/S/G entrant is even more gun shy.

Those unemployment numbers have to mean some people’s plans are going to be altered. With unemployment blowing through 10% in a hurry, it will be interesting to see the draw results.

So far an indefinite closure of BLM and state lands prior to 5/31 is the only thing that will change my plans.

I posted this a while back, I filed a bunch of FOIA requests last year and put together some data on elk tags across states. Obviously this is a little dated and doesn't have current regs or 2019 numbers.

But...

Look at how much revenue CO is getting just from NR elk tags... imagine the effects if those hunts were cancelled. CPW doesn't get revenue from other sources to the degree other states do, it's budget is mostly from license sales.

1585842529855.png

Compare this to other western states and you can kinda guess which states will be effected the most.

1585842630865.png

Am I the only crazy person who is thinking about getting on some cancellation lists for fall hunts? This may be my best chance at getting on the returning customer list for 40 mile air.
Keep this under wraps, or everyone will have the same genius idea. And there go your chances for a great tag.....

I posted this a while back, I filed a bunch of FOIA requests last year and put together some data on elk tags across states. Obviously this is a little dated and doesn't have current regs or 2019 numbers.

But...

Look at how much revenue CO is getting just from NR elk tags... imagine the effects if those hunts were cancelled. CPW doesn't get revenue from other sources to the degree other states do, it's budget is mostly from license sales.

View attachment 134253

Compare this to other western states and you can kinda guess which states will be effected the most.

View attachment 134254
Kinda makes you question the wisdom of relying so heavily on NR's.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back