Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

When is 'old' too old?

I have worked out and been athletic my entire life.My career in construction has helped matters,being active all day and such.Now at 52 I work out to do my job and hunt.I basically put my life on hold for the last year to build my family another home.20 days off total in 365 was no mere feat,working on my own project and keeping my business running.I nearly framed the entire house solo, siding/soffit solo, and then interior.Point is,with determination age is somewhat of a non-factor.Climbing peaks has always been a passion for me,not a bad recreation for summer going in to fall.Having not climbed anything substantial in two years I decided to go for it last weekend and get back to knocking off all the 10k peaks in the Tobacco Roots.3500 ft. of elevation in 2 hrs. had me thinking I'm not so bad off after all.Again,determination a big factor.....keep the legs pumping and ignore the pain of a lifetime of old injuries and new ones brewing.Wouldn't mind rewinding my body about 15 years though.
The shits of it is (some of you will relate), I can be in damn good shape,feel strong and firm,but one week of not working out and the gut seems to go flab again.But no doubt my nightly anti-stress treatment;) plays in to this.
Enjoyed reading comments from the senior crowd, good inspiration for us young-uns to quit griping now and again.

I realized I could no longer do solo back country elk hunts at 60. At 59 I hiked in and packed one out. At 60 I hiked in to far and had a hard time hiking out that night. I tried again at 61 and could not go the extra mile to get to the elk I'd spotted. I don't think it's so much age that stops you as it is the injuries from earlier in life. My hips are my worst problem but my feet and most of my joints also give me trouble. I still hunt them but not the way I would like to be able to. My advice is don't miss a single year because your hunting days can end suddenly.

I can't see myself retiring from hunting ever, but I can see me retiring from elk hunting. I'll just concentrate on deer hunting when that happens.

Im only 44 but notice the difference from 20 years ago. I carry the same philosophy as my dad who is 66. He used to still hunt deer a lot,but as he got older his legs and hips couldnt take it. In his words he didnt give up still hunting deer,he just adjusted tactics. Thats my plan until they throw dirt on me.

Not knocking or making fun of the disabled in any manner,but if they(the disabled) can find ways to get into the field for deer/turkey/and other big game,then I have no excuse other than laziness not to hunt all my living days in one form or another.

The body of course does slow down and weaken with age,but a lot of it is mind over matter.If you want it bad enough you'll find a way to make it happen.

I retired and moved to Colorado 5 1/2 years ago. We built a ranch on our 49 acres, and worked our tails off doing it. I have 2 horses and a mule and ride many days in the forest lands, sometimes up over 12,000'. Am I as tough as I was 10 years ago? No. Can I still hike up the mountains and hunt? Definitely. I'm archery hunting in only a few weeks.
Anyone can have unavoidable health problems, however many folks make destructive choices with their health, or don't do what they should to preserve it. I think if a person just did 100 sit ups every other day, it would make a big difference in their fitness and how they feel.
I know I probably have a good 5 years left for sure, which will take me up to 70. I'm alone in the forest a lot of hours, and if I die there, well it's better than the rest home in my book.

I don't think of my last year,I rather plan on my next year. I am 63 and going elk hunting solo this fall and making plans for next year.

As we get older, it definitely gets harder, and being a flatlander even makes it harder IMHO, I just turned 63, I try to stay in decent shape by using my Treadmill and elliptical 2 or 3 times a week.
I believe that as we get older, we need to except the fact that we can't do what we did at 40, and hunt smarter, as of right now, I plan on Elk hunting for 5 or 6 more years, and maybe longer ?, it will just depend on how I feel.

Kevin

It is likely we will be hamstrung by some accident, injury or illness before we reach too old an age. It could happen tomorrow. I try to look around and notice the day but not often enough.

Picture from yesterday's hike with my 14 year old daughter on the Gallatin Crest above the smoke. Six miles/2000 feet elevation from the trailhead. It was then I realized I would be 82 when she is my age, maybe showing her kid the same view. Guess I'll have to get a horse to go with her.

Attachments

• s IMG_3181.jpg
    s IMG_3181.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 484
Apparently I'm not the only thinking about this lately. I'm approaching 48, and as a new elk hunter, I often wonder how many years I'll get to chase elk in the Rockies.
Like most on here, I've been hunting since a child, and have hunted whitetail for 35 years, but found out real quick the difference between sea level trees stand hunting, and high altitude hunting. I've always been concerned about my health and am honestly healthier than most guys half my age. So I have a good start to be approaching 50.
Looking at my family as an example of what to look forward to, my father is 70, works (physical work) 6 days a week, great attitude, almost non existing health issues, and is strong as an ox. I hope I've taken his genes as opposed to my mom's side. Which I believe I do. Blood work shows: triglycerides=105, LDL=39, HDL=86, Cholesterol =95, and 5'7" 169lbs.

I remember reading an article about 20+ years ago about sheep hunting. It was talking about something similar to this. He said, when you're young, you can't afford it, when you get to the point that you can financially go on a sheep hunt, you're almost too old and can't climb the hills. There's some truth to that. Besides a short window, which I feel I am at.

I'll say one thing. I honestly believe the dreaming about elk and what it takes physically to adapt to high altitude for a flat lander, helps me to strive to be in the best shape I can all year, which in turn will add years...unless I get hit by a beer truck or something!:(

I'm not going to become depressed as I go through the next 10 years, but will use that to push harder, so I can squeeze out a few more 20 years from now.

Never Give UP ???

Just turned 70 this year , and as long as i have a good string of mules and my grandson's I'll keep on chasing deer and elk!

Attachments

• Calif X12,2010 075.jpg
    Calif X12,2010 075.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 474
Two Wyoming leftover late cow tags for Dec.and Jan. Regardless of sub-zero temps, deep snow, and 62 years, I'll be getting after it. On the other hand, I never buy green bananas.

I'm going to be 50 in November and I still think I can hoof it with the best of them, but that being said, I still try to keep my wits about me. I just plan on doing what I can each and every season until it just doesn't happen any more. My job keeps me in pretty fair shape and i work a little extra to get ready to hunt each year. Guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

50 is young. I looked the same at 50 as I did at 25. I was at my peak then.

Eat right, and exercise. You'll last longer.

I've been telling my business partner the same thing every year for the last 7 years..."We only need 10 more good years, then we can quit."

never to old

I may not be the oldest here but probably the oldest flat lander. going OMO back packing elk hunt this oct. ( unless someone wants to join me) will never stop hunting until the lord stops me. I will be 74 this Dec.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back