When is 'old' too old?

62-2/3 here too!

Southwind, great photo & comments, very inspirational to me! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

It’s a timely topic for me as I just turned 58 and just retired. I’m more active than most but I can see room for improvement, especially since I have now have ‘retired’ time. I need to drop 20 pounds and get a bit more hiking and biking in. With that, I may be able to extend my hunting time by some extra years.

What a perfect time to find this thread. I'm 70 and mostly a solo hunter. Sitting on double digit elk and other big game points in several states pondering another year. Killed my best bull at age 67, 3 months from my 68th birthday with my bow, and a cow this year a month before my 70th (both public land hunts). Hunted elk a total of 5 weeks in 2017. Passed on killing another cow out of a herd of about 300 as I had my freezer full, but I still went out with that tag in my pocket and got in range of that herd.
Supposed to have both shoulders replaced this winter but that now has to wait as the wife's medical issues are taking precedent. My hunting techniques have certainly changed the last few years and I am no longer comfortable hiking on icy trails solo, scrambling over rocks or across downed timber "bridges" and realize about a two mile pack out is at the far end of my leash. Not quite the way Randy hunts, as those high honey holes are now realistically out of reach, but time in the woods is a passion I am not ready to let go of. I did buy a ResQLink+ Buoyant Personal Locator Beacon last year as a hedge. I wouldn't want loved ones wondering what the heck happened to me out there...
I like to remember my birthday each year. It is the year of my birth I try to forget. That way age falls away and I am as young as I feel.
May you all draw your dream tags this year and create some great memories.

What a perfect time to find this thread. I'm 70 and mostly a solo hunter. Sitting on double digit elk and other big game points in several states pondering another year. Killed my best bull at age 67, 3 months from my 68th birthday with my bow, and a cow this year a month before my 70th (both public land hunts). Hunted elk a total of 5 weeks in 2017. Passed on killing another cow out of a herd of about 300 as I had my freezer full, but I still went out with that tag in my pocket and got in range of that herd.
Supposed to have both shoulders replaced this winter but that now has to wait as the wife's medical issues are taking precedent. My hunting techniques have certainly changed the last few years and I am no longer comfortable hiking on icy trails solo, scrambling over rocks or across downed timber "bridges" and realize about a two mile pack out is at the far end of my leash. Not quite the way Randy hunts, as those high honey holes are now realistically out of reach, but time in the woods is a passion I am not ready to let go of. I did buy a ResQLink+ Buoyant Personal Locator Beacon last year as a hedge. I wouldn't want loved ones wondering what the heck happened to me out there...
I like to remember my birthday each year. It is the year of my birth I try to forget. That way age falls away and I am as young as I feel.
May you all draw your dream tags this year and create some great memories.
I like your approach to the question this thread discusses. Distance from the truck and time spent solo may have to be adjusted as age creeps along. But I don't like the idea of completely being without some form of hunting and time in the wild as I get older.

I'm 67+ years old, and figure that while I'll slow down, I have a lot of years left in me. This topic is a case by case basis for individuals obviously. For myself, I always worked out and I know I'm in better shape today than I was a few years ago. I also pay my dues though, lifting weights and running at altitude here in Colorado. What really catapulted me into getting in top shape was taking up "Western Pack Burro Racing" with my Burro. We run 15 mile races in the Summer, and some start at 10,200 ft. elevation and to up to way over 12,000 feet. We finished in the top 1/3 of all racers in every race, with no age classes. So, a person can do this stuff if they put their mind to it.Victor mt. running.jpg

Not to deter anyone, but Grandpa die in elk camp this year of a heart attack at age 77. There was no way he would let us leave him home. Did cpr for 45 min with a guy from the next camp over. Routt Co. emergency responders were awesome. Only one guy on our camp had cell service, not sure what we would have done otherwise. Bringing a Sat phone next year.

You guys get me excited every morning when I open the Forum. My last trip into the mountains of Idaho was in 2014 at the age of 63. I walked a number of miles each day in the mountains around Challis. I haven't returned due to work. Believe that, at my age?? Yep, work. I'll be headed back into the Idaho Mountains this year in Unit 12. Can't wait to go through the Lolo Pass!! I'll walk slower, glass more, sit more often and breath harder as my face hurts from the grin on it, because I will be in the Mountains!! Age is a number, a goal for some and that can make you feel younger when you reach it and are ready to go further. It's and old man's climb to see what's on the other side of the Mountain! I look forward to seeing you guys on the trail and thanks for giving me something to look forward to every morning.

I'm 67+ years old, and figure that while I'll slow down, I have a lot of years left in me. This topic is a case by case basis for individuals obviously. For myself, I always worked out and I know I'm in better shape today than I was a few years ago. I also pay my dues though, lifting weights and running at altitude here in Colorado. What really catapulted me into getting in top shape was taking up "Western Pack Burro Racing" with my Burro. We run 15 mile races in the Summer, and some start at 10,200 ft. elevation and to up to way over 12,000 feet. We finished in the top 1/3 of all racers in every race, with no age classes. So, a person can do this stuff if they put their mind to it.View attachment 78841

This is inspirational windyman....I should have bought Mr Goodride and brought him back from Colorado.
Untitled https://www.flickr.com/photos/152360342@N02/, on Flickr

will be 61 this season. Last year I killed my first bull, was 6 miles back in, it was a long day with my partner getting it out. He's only 35, which helps me out a lot. I'm still recovering from that, bad back and something going on in my neck. If I draw a tag for that state thats probably the first spot I'll be at when the sun comes up on opening morning though. And my goal is to be 10 lbs lighter than last year. A lot of hunting is how tough your mind is also. If you tell yourself you can't do it you won't. I plan on hunting elk at least another 11 years, thats when my grandson will be old enough to go.

This is inspirational windyman....I should have bought Mr Goodride and brought him back from Colorado.
Untitled https://www.flickr.com/photos/152360342@N02/, on Flickr

Tempted to look at a mule for packing & trail riding. But then again....
Cool you can do those runs Windyman. Just wondering if that burro is any good at hauling game meat or is it just trail running companion. I see tons of donkeys & burros in NM & never seen one working these days.....horses, mules, llamas, dogs.....no burros packing game.

hank4elk, many decades ago when I hiked and camped as a boy attending Philmont Scout Camp in NM, all our heavy gear was hauled by burros along the trails. I wonder if that still is the case?

hank4elk, many decades ago when I hiked and camped as a boy attending Philmont Scout Camp in NM, all our heavy gear was hauled by burros along the trails. I wonder if that still is the case?

Yep,& I saw them in the Sierras in the 60's hauling camps & firewood like in NM too. I do know they are stubborn suckers to ride & not very smooth at that....lol
I was caretaker of a horse ranch for a few years & the owner was in his 70's & ran trails with horses & still was running & riding competatively a few years ago in the Sierra's & in UT....but he is a freak of nature.

Last edited:
I will be 69 when I do my solo bull elk archery hunt this fall. I still hike and shoot the bow good so what is the problem? I have had two shoulder surgeries and a cracked hip but just keep on keepin' on. It won't be long until I have to do the ML or rifle thing but for now it is all good. Turkey hunt in a few weeks.

What's amazing is this thread is almost 3 years old....time, surgeries, and obits will pass....and quickly

Carpe the heck out of each Diem fellas and gals.

Last edited:
Carpe diem! Ita vero, Harley. At 73 I strive to wring the heck out of each diem ... but sometimes my joints and muscles carp loudly in a different way. ... and the extra sedentary-derived weight from "wintering well", just grin and bear it by moving til it's gone.

Carpe diem! Ita vero, Harley. At 73 I strive to wring the heck out of each diem ... but sometimes my joints and muscles carp loudly in a different way. ... and the extra sedentary-derived weight from "wintering well", just grin and bear it by moving til it's gone.

True grit....and Aleve

Back