MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

When is 'old' too old?

Not to deter anyone, but Grandpa die in elk camp this year of a heart attack at age 77. There was no way he would let us leave him home. Did cpr for 45 min with a guy from the next camp over. Routt Co. emergency responders were awesome. Only one guy on our camp had cell service, not sure what we would have done otherwise. Bringing a Sat phone next year.

This is how I plan on going out.

I started archery hunting about 5 years ago and shared a camp with a guy that was 80 years old and still a traditional hunter. He hunted with another friend of his in his 40's. They were up and walking before first light every morning and he covered ground quickly. He did mention that he was slowing down and was going to switch areas that were easier walking for him so he could still cover plenty of ground. Impressive. He is still hunting as of last season.

What's amazing is this thread is almost 3 years old....time, surgeries, and obits will pass....and quickly

Carpe the heck out of each Diem fellas and gals.
Funny how time flies, when I started this thread I was experiencing a few aches and pains, they are still with me, and a few more, but it doesn't stop me, I have even joined a running club to get fitter.

It's great reading all the posts, some sad, and some very inspiring, keep going you oldies!

Cheers

Richard

I didn't become a health food nut, but I did change my diet a fair bit. That has helped along with the running and other exercise that is now more or less a life style rather than a necessary chore. Dairy Queen has suffered. Coca Cola may go broke, but I'm a better hunter now than I was 10 yrs ago.

I'm also funding the college educations for the children of several very good physical therapists.

My old man is north of 55 and I think he would struggle in the mountains but he isn't in the greatest shape either. Its really up to you and what you can take.... aka health.... I'd go to eastern montana and if you can do that then you are good to go for awhile. Lot easier then 13,000 feet in Colorado.

I feel all warm and fuzzy, being 63 and all, with this group, ha!

This year will actually be the first year I'll be attempting an elk hunt, and I look forward to the challenge of it! The year after this one, my 12 year old son will be joining me for what I hope to be many years of great adventures. She doesn't know it yet, but my wife is going to join us simply by default....if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? Working on my 32 year old unmarried and beautiful daughter, too....

All of you are an inspiring lot! But what would one expect from dedicated and adventurous hunters?

Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, canoeing, as I age the trips will get less adventuresome, but they won't stop until my kids spread my ashes into Lake Superior. I am 52 now so hoping that is many many years from now, but I can say after 50 I have started to feel my age for the first time.

As a lurker on this post, no where near old enough to complain about a damn thing, I really appreciate hearing the stories. Some are said, some are inspiring, all are enjoyable to read. I wish you all a happy, healthy hunting season.

This is how I plan on going out.

Can't agree more! It was a pleasure to be hunting with him on his final days. Even my 14 year old son who was there with us, told me on the drive home, "That is how I hope to go out when it's my time"

Buzz, If he is cut from the same cloth you are, there aren't many of those cuts left. You guys are all special. Believe me, that is envy you hear talking. I'm 73 now and I've had a few incidents over the last 10 years hunting in the high country. Been flown out of Kaibab once, but I keep recouping and going back for more. Just not ready to give up yet. I went through the "trim and healthy" years and the "chubby" years when I carried enough lard for three people. I "de-larded" and am back down to a trim 180 and move around pretty good for an old man. I believe you are restricted by two things. Your physical abuse of your body when you're young and your genetic composition. One you can modify, the other there is nothing you can do anything about. If you have good genetics, you can take a hell of a lot more abuse and still come out smelling like a rose... Thanks Mom and Dad... Oh, and that guy that came up with the "Golden Years" idea,... You had the color right, but it's not Gold.. It's rust. and we didn't get drawn for Elk or antelope this year, but we are putting in for Couse Deer again.. so maybe we still have a chance.

I'm 59 and having my right knee replaced in two weeks and I fully intend to elk hunt this year if I draw a tag in Montana great if not back to Colo. this making 27 years I have traveled from the Carolinas to hunt elk and I know the time will come when I won't be able too but it's not because of a number. Keep in mind the mountains were there before you got there and there is nothing wrong with going around the mountain instead of over the top if it gets you to the elk.

If you can put one leg in front of the other and have the will to keep going never stop. I turned 44 yesterday. My realization was I needed to train harder to go longer. The love of the backcountry drives me. I will hunt the backcountry until it takes me. Peace!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back