When is 'old' too old?

I am 66. I got up this morning at 03:15 to go to work. I got home at 16:25. I am just finishing my trip plans to Montana with my wife ( 61 ) this fall. I guess no one has told me I am getting to old to do the thing I want to do. Or maybe they are smart enough not do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dad notched his last tag at 88, but was with us in camp when he was 90. Did real good on the uphills, but downhills were tough on him.

Interesting to read the thoughts here. Steve and I got on the topic of age, almost by accident, as I could see I was making many remarks that were not quite relevant to Janis, who is in his early 30's.

The reason I have picked age 65 is that I had to find some mark to put in the ground to keep me focused on a time frame. If I am lucky, I will get to 65 and re-set the marker. But, I'm not going to the mountains each year taking for granted I will get to do a re-set.

Dealing with your own major health concerns can cause one to think about their mortality, or lack of immortality. Losing friends or family causes us to think about it, but not to the degree you think about it when you are laying at the Mayo Clinic, convinced your days are numbered in weeks, not years.

I find that when I don't put a date on something, I take for granted that it will be there forever. As such, I think I appreciate the increasing scarcity of the opportunity when I realize that I might only get to do this for 10 or 15 more years. Hell, that is not very long, once you get a bit older. When I was 30, ten years seemed liked forever. Now, ten years seems like a short passage of time.

I've got my share of family health history that gives me no reason to take anything for granted. My Dad died at age 62, his father at age 63. I've got a rare liver condition that causes a lot of health complications. I've got a blood clotting problem that has created three major clots in the last dozen years.

Or, I could pray that I get the longevity on my Mom's side, where her Grandmother lived to be 102, her Grandfather 91, both her parents well into their 80's in spite of smoking for packs of Pall Mall non-filtered, every day. In that case, I've got a lot more elk hunting days ahead of me.

Or, I might draw the short straw as my Mom's brother Elton did. He was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer two weeks after retiring at age 62. We buried him in May.

Last year I went on three hunts with guys who all have some major health issues. They were probably three of the most rewarding experiences I will have in this TV show. I could see how much each of them appreciated what had just unfolded. They were taking nothing for granted, as they have had life-changing events that give them perspective as to the fickleness of health. Hunts like those help me measure my own appreciation for the gift that each hunt represents.

Point of all that above is this; I'm not taking anything for granted. I might have 5 years ahead or I might have 25 years ahead. Every year I have, I'm taking advantage of it and enjoying it immensely. When I die, I hope my buddies all say, "Damn, I wish I had hunted as much as he did."

I do think that when you start finding a way to measure the closing window, it gives you much greater appreciation for each hunt. This November, I turn 51. According to the arbitrary marker I set, that means I've got, at most, 14 more years to elk hunt. That scares the hell out of me. When you younger guys are out there this fall, think about the possibility that you only have 14 more elk hunts in front of you. I can assure you such thought will give you cause to savor each day of that hunt a bit more than you other wise might have. And when you are packing up your camp, it causes a bit of melancholy thought, knowing you are now even one year closer to the terminal end of your hunting years.

Not sure if that makes sense. It is my way of putting some perspective as to how limited our health is, as it relates to an activity that requires good health; public land elk hunting. I do it, because I find the busy-ness of my life causes me to underappreciate things unless I put some measurement system in place that shows the scarcity. The more scarce something is, even future elk hunts, the more value you place on that which we have.

Exactly. I have noticed that once you retire, it is like time speeds up. I retired at 50 and it seems like it was yesterday, but in reality has been 10 years. The old thought of "I'll do it someday", becomes irrelevant, as every year that you put off your trip, the some days get fewer and harder to find.

Do it till you know that you have hit your limit.

Live until you Die-Live being the indicative word. I am 69 and treat every season as my last as there is no way to predict the future. This year I will be hunting elk in NM,elk in Montana, antelope in Wyoming, deer in Wyoming, antelope in MT and deer in Montana. I am lucky to live at the base of the Bridgers in MT and can hike up into them 5 days a week. The mountains get steeper every year which means I have to work harder to get in shape for hunting season.

Just because we get older does not mean we have to get old!! There is a big difference.

I had a close scare with death at 29 and it changed my outlook. I became a bible reader and a follower of Christ after that period. Each season I hunt I always reflect it could or will be my last season. I'm only 40, but life is like a vapor, here today and gone tomorrow.
I bet when we reach our death day all the trophies we attained will not mean much. The only two things that will matter is if you go to heaven and inherent the earth or you love the earth so much that you can't escape the hell on earth. Secondly, the memories with family/friends spent in God's creation.

I'm 69, my blood pressure is 120/69, 6' 1" and 166 lb (that includes 10 lb of muscle I didn't have in high school. Six days ago I climbed 12632 ft Mt. Adams to fulfill a childhood dream, and kept up with the teenagers doing it for the first time and the experienced older folks who've done it many times. My girl friend says we are 16, and I'd rather act 16 than live the lives of other people my age. I work 40 hrs a week as a Forest Protection officer in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Took up down-hill skiing at 53 and love it.

My dad said before he died, "If I had known I was going to live so long I'd have done more." He retired from professional baseball at 40 and spent his spare time in front of the TV for the next 46 years. Bad decision in my opinion.

So, let's go!

hank4elk, what did you do to aid yourself before help came?

I'm 60 as well & don't like thinking of the day that I cannot elk hunt but realistically our Septs are numbered! (grin)

ElkNut1

I grabbed my 1st aid bag and took 2 aspirin and went straight to neighbors house and had them check my vitals quick while I called 911....call dropped,we got in his rig and headed to meet ambulance/EMT's @ hwy 12 mi away. 9am .His wife had gotten thru on landline. Quemado ambulance was waiting and took me to the heliport. Helicopter arrived 30 min later.I hit 240 over 110 before morphine kicked in....I was in having an MRI by noon and angiogram next day showed no damage. Just on baby aspirin and some blood pressure meds for a while....and avoid people when possible...HAH. That's easy here.

But the trauma kicked my skinny ass for a couple months. I lost 10 lbs I need back.Muscle.
I just have to take it easy now,back up to couple miles twice a day around the ranch.
Did go into the Gila and poked around last week. GPS said I had done 8 mi,easy peasy.lol,I used to do 20 mi in the Sierras with65# pack ....10-14kft

I'm also still working on several building projects at my place,slowly but surely.

I'm not giving up by any means,but I stopped thinking about my mortality when I was 17 really. I just hunt smarter these days and maybe won't run out ahead of a herd
this year,lol.

Last edited:
Love the stories and experiences being shared. I turn 59 next month and went on our first elk rifle hunt in Colorado last year. Have hunted whitetail in the Pineywoods of East Texas over 20 years but had never went on a high country hunt before with my son. Going up the mountain on horseback to a drop camp was awesome. Didn't see a thing but just being up there at 10,000 feet and sharing it with your son does something to a man's soul. We came down off that mountain already planning a New Mexico archery hunt. We want to hear a real elk bugle.
Have worked at my company for 26 years and have been blessed. So in February, I announced my upcoming retirement for June to go and do what I want. In March, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I was able to keep my job for insurance. Had surgery at MD Anderson in May with some bumps but am on the road to recovery. Plan on working for two more years. I don't try to understand why this happened because I know God has a plan. Aside from that I am in good health.
So our hunt has been moved to 2016. My son got his master's degree and moved out of state to his job so this way he will be able to build up vacation time. After this chapter my bucket list has grown and Good Lord willing He will allow me to do them. I do not take anything or day for granted. I tell my wife, sons, and immediate family I love them everyday. We will be getting our travel trailer real soon and start practicing, so we can do it full time after I do retire. I want to jump in it and just drive straight up from Texas to Montana and circle around. May everybody's plans and dreams come true. And remember, "Yesterday has done gone down the river and we ain't never getting it back".

Live life like you are going to die tomorrow,plan life like you are going to live forever.

"The Trembling Giant", an elk hunting movie made by Danner, featured an older gentleman who broke down as he said something along the lines of, "I'm scared to death of not being able to do this much longer."

Certainly rings true for myself.

I am 72 & looking forward to this season as I do every season. I can't go at it like I used to. Fat & out of shape to name a few. Have had 2 bypass surgeries & a cancer surgery last year. My wife goes with me now when we set up camp . Last year week in Gravelly Range for archery & week in Big Hole plus day trips near home. Still hunt by myself even though she doesn't like it.. She doesn't hunt , but loves to camp. I don't care as much about killing anymore , but love to get out in this great state to chase deer & elk. Will still pull trigger if "its" right. Can't think of not hunting again & hope I never have to make that decision!

2014 I turned 63 and killed a 4x4 elk and a cow moose and was all alone and plan on hunting and fishing till they pry my gun and fishing poles from my hands.

I am 76 and have the attitude of don't give up. I am going elk hunting this year in NM. Next year I hope to get tag in Wyoming I have 5 points.The biggest problem I have is most of my friends gave up and say they are to old.The problem I have is my mind makes a promise my body can't keep.last class reunion I was at most class's mates acted and thought old. I refuse to be like that . May God bless all of you and manny years of hunting in your future. John

I'm a 'young' 60 next month. I still do a minimum of 10-12 miles over a weekend and don't see any reason to cut back any time soon. (May take a few minutes longer though)

I'm not stupid, like I was back 30 yrs ago. I know I have certain limits now and plan/equip for them. No, I don't drag a deer, or anything for that matter, anymore. A game cart is pretty handy, or cut it up nice and lean, then carry it.

I set myself up for shot within my physical limits. Hasn't changed a thing as far as opportunity goes, just thoght out more ahead of time.

I guess I'm saying I hunt more at leisure now, than trying He-Man it.

Another 10 yrs seems like piece of cake............

I had my right hip replaced in April. When I was getting ready to have my left hip replaced I found out I had a rare cancer under my toe nail. They are probably going to cut my toe off. I am not giving up. I am only 57 and just need to make some modifications. I will be too old when I go under. Peace!

I think age is irrelevant. My dad hunted well into his 70's with no problem. The trick is to know your limitations and hunt accordingly. His last few years he was quite happy to hunt within sight of camp and keep things tidy and have a nice hot dinner waiting for us when we got back to camp.
I'm 53 now and hope to keep hunting for a long time. I work out 3 days a week and am in good health. No high cholesterol, no high blood pressure, no diabetes and most importantly not overweight.

I fully intend to kill my next elk (this year) within 60 days of my 70th birthday. Age is relative. If you really want to do something, you will unless your body won't support it. When my body won't support tramping around the hills, I will sit in camp and cook for the guys who can still tramp around..

There comes a time when you look at that steep mountain ahead and think, heck I'm not 65 anymore. I'm 68 and my knees are shot. Bone on bone in the right. I'm still going after Elk, and this year I broke down and applied for, and drew a cow moose tag. Lots of hard work after you kill a moose. Been there done that, but that was 25 years ago.

Back