Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

When is 'old' too old?

Dad turned 71 this year. He's got a fused back and a steel hip with another on the way, but he climbed to the top of a mountain to find a bear this spring and will be with me in Idaho looking for moose and elk in Montana. I'm not sure if he's a dumb SOB or a tough one....probably a bit of both.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1437750487502.jpg
    FB_IMG_1437750487502.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 3,550
As I read this and consider my (young compared to most of you guys) age I think about my future I of hunting. I turned 36 a few weeks ago and have really only just started backcountry hunting. If I have 30 years left it's not so bad. But considering my physical condition (6'3"/270#) I may not have that picture no if I don't get my butt in gear. Fortunately I'm pretty active with my job. I'm a concrete contractor and as most people know that is a very physical occupation. I realize it's not the same as daily exercise but it has to beat sitting in an office all day and not exercising. And it builds stamina and drive when you have concrete on the ground and can't stop and take a break just because you're hot and tired. Concrete and old age wait for no one!!

I guess I really need to buckle down and crack the whip on myself so that in 20 years I can still look forward to another 10+ years of doing what I have come to love!!

I don't know, I think a lot of people on this thread are cutting some quality hunting years off by basically tossing in the towel at some arbitrary number.

I think the way you hunt may change, but I just don't see myself hanging up the rifles at 65. My Grandfather, who passed away in September of 2000 at 84, had deer and elk tags in his wallet that he fully intended to fill, and there was a damn good chance of that happening!

Heres a couple pictures of my Grandfather, who filled his whitetail B-tag, and elk tag, the same day on public land...with his model 70 300 win. mag. Not bad for a guy that was just a few months shy of his 80th birthday.

grampswtdoe.JPG

He had a tough time seeing this elk as it was about 230 yards away right at dark on an over-cast cloudy, rainy day. But once he saw it, he rested his rifle against a tree and promptly sent a 180 partition through its shoulders...no problem.

grampselk.JPG

I hunt with 3 guys here in Wyoming that are all 70-79 and they still pack elk on their backs out of designated Wilderness areas. Do they hunt as far back as they used to? No. Do they shy away from some areas they used to hunt? Yes.

A picture of the oldest guy in our Wyoming elk camp...doing what he's always done, filling elk tags and packing them out on his back. Think this guy was ready to toss in the towel at 65? Not hardly.

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

For the record, once he got to the trailhead, he dropped the heavy pack, but walked another mile back to camp...because it was "such a nice day to be out",,,,

I don't know, I think a lot of people on this thread are cutting some quality hunting years off by basically tossing in the towel at some arbitrary number.

I think the way you hunt may change, but I just don't see myself hanging up the rifles at 65. My Grandfather, who passed away in September of 2000 at 84, had deer and elk tags in his wallet that he fully intended to fill, and there was a damn good chance of that happening!

I don't think anyone says they are tossing in the towel at some arbitrary number, or at least I'm not. Like I stated, I use 65 as a marker that I hope I get to re-set when I get to 65. A marker lets me see just how quickly the window closes and allows me to find a way to capitalize on more hunting opportunities than I might find if I just took it for granted that I will always be out there. Might not be what works for others, but it works for me.

When you younger guys are out there this fall, think about the possibility that you only have 14 more elk hunts in front of you. I can assure you such thought will give you cause to savor each day of that hunt a bit more than you other wise might have. And when you are packing up your camp, it causes a bit of melancholy thought, knowing you are now even one year closer to the terminal end of your hunting years.

I'm 28 and have had this mentality for quite some time. I used to do the majority of my hunts when I was in my early 20's with hunting buddies (which I still do a couple each year as it is important to me) but I now do a lot of solo hunting. I'm not guaranteed tomorrow and I refuse to not get out and explore cool places just because I don't have someone else other than my dad who is as passionate about hunting as I am. I really appreciate threads like these because they teach a lot of us lessons and remind us not to take anything for granted. I plan on doing some cool hunts every year throughout my lifetime but that dream can change in a second. I hope I end up dying in the mountains when I'm 100 but nobody knows. There are millions of people who would give ANYTHING to be able to physically do what we are able to do every fall. Some of them were born with a disability, some have had a tragic accident or illness, and others are just too old now and never took the chance to do it and now they lay in a nursing home bed filled with regrets. Next time you climb up on top of the mountain and you are sore, out of air, and sweating your brains out, remember that. You are ALIVE right now so get out and live!

I think it's very common for hunters to contemplate mortality more than the average Joe - because we do deal with death on regular basis.

For me, I'll be turning 40 this year. I won't say things are "falling apart" for me - but I've had to address some physical ailments this year that set me back on a short term basis. I've been able to get back into consistent work-outs the beginning of July after getting Dr's clearance. I'm working on "getting light" (which for me would be between 200-220).

My hunting strategy has changed in the last 5 years. From 20-35 I was really focused on hunting for me. Long, extended trips into the backcountry were the norm. Now it's more about spending time with my Dad and brother on some hunts, other hunts are getting my kids involved (they are 2 and 5). I try not to set expectations on these hunts - just enjoy what comes.

My Dad will be 70 this year and has dealt with a replaced knee and prostate cancer within the last 5 years. His "good knee" needs to be replaced as well. We focus on hunts that he can participate in. There's no chance of climbing 3500' in a day for him - even steep ground can be difficult to negotiate. So we hunt in country that allows him to have fun. He is a tough SOB, on one pack out he tore his ACL, but didn't mention it until the elk was completely packed out.

I'm trying to get our schedules lined up for a week long archery elk trip. I can take a cow in an area we've hunted lots of times with my general tag - but in reality it's more about spending time with him in the woods than anything else.

I have found that I really need goals in order to motivate myself into staying in shape. I used to do the Ridge Run in Bozeman just for elk-hunt training. But now they are long term goals. Extending my hunting years, thoughts of specific hunts with my kids someday. Most guys think of "walking their daughter down the aisle" but I'm looking forward to my daughters first back-country elk experience.

I really think you all should stop thinking about age. It's the wrong thing to focus on. Sometimes I have to think about how old I am, because I never think about it. I totally ignore birthdays.

Stay focused on getting your tags, and preparing for the hunts. Negative thoughts will ruin a hunt. I have so many medical problems you wouldn't think I could even hunt for squirrels. I just ignore them, and go hunting. I might climb the mountain a lot slower now, and i might have to take twice as many trips to get the meat out, but so what? One advantage to hunting when you're old is you'll have lots of time to do anything. Take your time, pace yourself, and have fun.

To retire from hunting, is to retire from life. I'll never be ready to do that. We're all hunters. Go hunt, and don't worry about age. It's just a number.

I really think you all should stop thinking about age. It's the wrong thing to focus on. Sometimes I have to think about how old I am, because I never think about it. I totally ignore birthdays.

Stay focused on getting your tags, and preparing for the hunts. Negative thoughts will ruin a hunt. I have so many medical problems you wouldn't think I could even hunt for squirrels. I just ignore them, and go hunting. I might climb the mountain a lot slower now, and i might have to take twice as many trips to get the meat out, but so what? One advantage to hunting when you're old is you'll have lots of time to do anything. Take your time, pace yourself, and have fun.

To retire from hunting, is to retire from life. I'll never be ready to do that. We're all hunters. Go hunt, and don't worry about age. It's just a number.

Echos my thoughts exactly....

My dad is 82. He and a friend killed an elk last year. He spends more time on his ATV but still walks. Another hunting mentor, Gary, is 81. His back bothers him, but he still makes it to elk camp and got a mulie buck last season. That said, another good hunting buddy of mine dropped dead at 43, even though he was in top physical condition, of an undiagnosed heart flaw. My son will never hunt because of his epilepsy, but he can still fish. I think the "secret" of both my dad and Gary is, just don't stop. Whatever time you got, whatever health you got, USE IT.

I'll be turning 59 in August. though I never have been a backpack hunter, I still hunted fairly hard from a base camp. I still have adapted from my earlier years, I wear out the seat of my pants from sitting and glassing more than I do the soles of my boots now days. The success of a hunt is getting out and doing it rather than how much country you cover, or the animal you may harvest. My brothers and I took my dad out 2 years ago at 83. I only got him a 1/4 mile from camp, helped him to the top of a small finger even packed a lawn chair for him to use. He has Macular degeneration, his sight is about gone, Though he didn't see any deer, He was "Hunting" can't think of anything that meant more to him than that.
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=48330&stc=1&d=1437758215

Attachments

• DSC00529.jpg
    DSC00529.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,260
At 48 I had not even considered the possibility of having my body let me down. Right when I turned 49 my knee decided to let me know I have osteoarthritis. I soon found out how important one knee is to my way of life. I will never take another season for granted! I took way too many for granted in my younger years...

Somehow I will be elk hunting as long as I am alive. Pretty good chance that will shorten the length of my life and I am just fine with that.

My dad just turned 70 in May. We will be in Montana this fall hunting elk and mulies. I don't think my dad will ever quit. He can out-walk me on a lot of days. Longevity, with health, runs in his family though. My grandparents were both in their mid 90s. Grandma spent many days digging yellowroot and ginseng, mushroom picking, and berry picking in the hills by herself well up into her 80s. Her mother was 104 and still doing housework when a dang busted hip got the best of her. I think it is up to the individual and knowing what you are capable of. Nobody said hunting was racing.
20150204_180034 (800x450).jpg
Dad showing off some sheds he found this year
20150427_101936 (800x450).jpg
Dad on a Montana mountain top

I don't think anyone says they are tossing in the towel at some arbitrary number, or at least I'm not. Like I stated, I use 65 as a marker that I hope I get to re-set when I get to 65. A marker lets me see just how quickly the window closes and allows me to find a way to capitalize on more hunting opportunities than I might find if I just took it for granted that I will always be out there. Might not be what works for others, but it works for me.

I agree, many think they'll live forever and can always go elk hunting "next year".

Another good idea IMO, is to prioritize the tougher species to hunt while you're younger...like Dall sheep, Mountain goats, etc. even if it means strapping yourself financially when you're young.

If I had a re-do, I would already have hunted a few species that I thought would always be a bit more reasonably in reach to a hunter of average means (stone sheep, grizzlies in MT, unguided Goat in AK, etc.).

Too old is when your dead. I am 62. Manage your hunt to your current abilities. I have stopped hunting mule deer. Just too many and does not provide the thrill. Draw an oryx tag about every 5 to 8 years and that is an easy hunt. Elk, I have applied for years and cannot draw. Thought about buying a cow tag on Ted Turners ranch, but doesn't seem right. Price is going up!

I will probably keep trying and hunt wisely until I have an elk hunt. With my older body, I will not hunt deep in the woods. As many have stated, elk can be taken 200 yards off the trail. I can handle that.

My brother, 65, has a primary hunting partner that is probably 85. Still enjoys the hunt.

Hunting is the passion. If I fill the tag, that is the bonus.

Getting Old??

Someone, somewhere posted a phrase saying....."You'll run out of health before you run out of money". WHAT A GREAT CONCEPT!!! :hump: In Dec., I'll be 75. This year, I have eight hunts scheduled..Wyom. antelope, deer, and cow elk. Calif. wild pig (two hunts), deer (two hunts, muzzleloader and rifle), and ducks. Having taught P.E. and officiated athletics, I'm very conscience of my physical status. Purchased a quad a couple of years back and that has really opened up my ability of covering ground. As I've read on numerous hunting forums, the "quad" usually takes it in the shorts....but there'll be a time when it just might come in handy.
After half a heart and aortic replacement two years ago......I can't wait to spend that money and use my health!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

If you couldn't do it when you were 20, 30, or 40, probably won't be able to do it in your 50's, 60's, or 70's . The more active you are, generally speaking, the more active you will be.

I know there are things I can't do at 53 that I could do at 23 and for some I'm thankful I can't, wouldn't have lived long if I kept doing them. So I'd like to think I'm getting smarter, and more patient. I Don't have to be the first one up the hill.

In the old days we'd hunt like fools, get up early and hunt all day rushing from place to place. Now we still get up early but we take breaks, we sit down, have something to eat and drink, talk about what we did and make plans for what we will do, maybe even get a story of the old days in. I think the way we do it now is more fun.

Thanks for the replies, opinions, stories and pictures, brilliant!

I would prefer to die doing something i love than wasting away in a nursing home, in my own country, but popping my clogs in a far away country would cause my family a nightmare!
So i must not be selfish, i reckon hunting elk in my 70's will be fine don't you?:D

This was one of my old hunting friends pictured below, we used to roam all over my county shooting foxes at night, he had a heart attack, then he had stents fitted and always told me not to worry about him.
But he passed away doing what he loved, he was lamping for his son off a quad bike, he jumped off the back of the quad to open a gate, his son drove through the gate and waited for his dad to get back on, realizing he was taking his time he looked behind, at the young age of 63 he had dropped down dead of a heart attack.
I am glad he was with his son and not me.
By the way he had a great hat, when our wives moan at us we call it 'nagging', on his hat it said 'nagless'!

Richard

Last edited:
Along those lines, I did speak with 3 hunters this year, ages 91,87,and 83, who all killed elk, deer , and pronghorn, respectively, which is more than I can say.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back