Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What’s too cold to tent camp.

OzWildlife

Is it crazy to backpack in alone and set up a tent camp with no stove for heat and base from there for several days in the weather we are having now and planned for the next week? I’ve got a Hilleberg setup with a zero degree Western Mountaineering bag and good pad, but not sure if getting back in there alone is stupid or not right now. I’m a flat lander!

I've tent camped in -10. A zero degree bag means you won't die overnight wearing underwear if it actually gets down to zero degrees, but you'd be chilly. Remember to have emergency fire starter, know that food stoves take more fuel to cook when it's cold, and have a extra set of clothes in case the first one gets wet. E blanket is also a must. Worst time of day is when you get out of the AM sleeping bag but if you can psych yourself through 10 minutes of discomfort you can do the rest

I have been in sub-zero F. In a Hilleberg. No stove. Did have some of those pads that warm when open the plastic film.

My tips if you head into the cold. Stocking cap. Balaclava. Eye mask. Foam ear plugs. This keeps exposed skin to minimum. Add gloves and shirt or fleece top if you sleep with you hands outside of the sleeping bag. Put a thick pad or two under the bag then place all dry clothes on top of sleeping bag for more insulation. Hang damp clothes so they have a chance to dry but likely will just freeze solid. I use gallon ziplocks so can wizz without climbing out of the warm and leaving the tent. I can fall asleep right away with the ziplock approach but if I instead spend 5 minutes crawling out of the bag and heading out of the tent into the cold and wind to wizz then am wide awake as crawl back into the bag.

Not related to cold but do you have a garmin explorer, spot, or other communication device for emergencies? I would be more worried about being alone with other dangers. Trip on deadfall, slip on rock, accident with broadhead (if applicable), etc. Then there is having help packing out an elk if you are backcountry.

I slept in a tent this season when it got down to 21 degrees. I don’t like the cold so I probably bundled up more than most but I had 2 cheap Walmart sleeping bags inside each other and I wore my first lite furnace long johns with my puffy jacket and a beanie. Stayed comfortable all night.

I will invest in a quality sleeping bag before next season. Will probably also buy a quality insulated sleeping pad. Used a cot this year and hated it.

Is it crazy to backpack in alone and set up a tent camp with no stove for heat and base from there for several days in the weather we are having now and planned for the next week? I’ve got a Hilleberg setup with a zero degree Western Mountaineering bag and good pad, but not sure if getting back in there alone is stupid or not right now. I’m a flat lander!

No such thing as "Bad Weather", just bad gear. Right mindset, proper gear for the enviroment, us humans can go near anywhere!

It's doable for sure, but like everyone else has said good gear goes a long way, and your margin for error is less.

I found all the previous information great, but also check for drafts in your sleeping bag. I hate putting my head in the mummy part and tightening it down, so my bag tends to draft down my neck. I solved this problem by stuffing a sweat shirt next to me to block this draft path.

Also, keeping water thawed becomes more of an issue too, you may have to sleep with your water to keep it from freezing on you.

One night I pushed my 10deg bag to ~0, it wasn't warm, but with wool everything base, along with sweatpants, down vest, sweat shirt with my hood up, I was able to sleep without dying or shivering.

Not related to cold but do you have a garmin explorer, spot, or other communication device for emergencies? I would be more worried about being alone with other dangers. Trip on deadfall, slip on rock, accident with broadhead (if applicable), etc. Then there is having help packing out an elk if you are backcountry.
I do have a Garmin InReach for all the reasons you listed.

I would go to any big city , in the area you plan to hunt and ask the homeless.

with the right gear cold isnt an issue and with a log a piece of bent pipe you can heat a tent easy if the cold is getting to you
cant recall the name just how to make it, try to google finish like findland log stove its easy to do the pipe isnt hot but pipes hot air into any tent

I do think having a beacon of some sort is indirectly related to cold. If you have one, you're more likely to be able to get help should you suffer some mishap that is compounded by cold. Getting wet (hypothermia), slipping on snow/ice, lost in a blizzard, frostbite, etc., can all be potentially deadly so having a beacon is an absolute must. Especially when one is alone? No brainer if you ask me.

It was because of this incident where I had early signs of hypothermia that afterwards I bought a PLB. Fortunately we had a mountain radio.

Something to remember to do the day after a cold night is to get your bag opened up so it can dry out from your body being in it. If not it makes for a damn cold bag the next night

I did a bit of google this morn to add to my other post its making a tent stove from a Swedish log torch not that we all carry a piece of pipe with us back packing in but good info to know the same
IMO.

Reactor Extreme: Lightweight and travels in my packs as part of my carry emergency kit and I've yet to experience a rough night due to the cold. 0* bag.

Good sleeping pad is essential so the ground does not suck the heat.

Beanie. The one clothing item for sleeping I forgot once and double/triple check to make sure it remains only once forgotten. I have an Under Armour equivalent though could not find it online.

Long johns - self explanatory. Good socks.

Tent / bivy sack. Depends on the intent of the solo hunt. Sometimes the biv fits, other times, (most of the time) I like having tent space, especially when getting prepped in the morning.

Many other items help however, I think these are focus points for myself when faced with potential lower then normal temps for camping.

Oh, InReach.

with the right gear cold isnt an issue and with a log a piece of bent pipe you can heat a tent easy if the cold is getting to you
cant recall the name just how to make it, try to google finish like findland log stove its easy to do the pipe isnt hot but pipes hot air into any tent

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back