Backpacking tents/sleep systems... thoughts?

I have a Seek Outside Cimmaron and it is a wonderful tent. If you're not using a stove, say in the summer/spring when the mosquitoes will carry you away you can get a nest for a little bit of nothing from lite outdoors. That same company also makes tents that are similar to Seek Outside tents and they also make stoves as well. If you got one that is the size of the Cimmaron, 2 people and gear would probably fit just fine. The sleep system I have recently just changed over to is the Viam Outdoors Quilt. It's a 0 degree bag and when paired with an insulated pad it does the job quite well down to 30s so far. I haven't slept in the system any lower than that quite yet but I'm sure it would be fine depending on the person.

I used to pack tents but found the whole set up/tear down thing was a PITA. Started going really light with a bivy (make sure it breathes good) and have not only had more success but it's light enough I just carry it everywhere and when I'm ready to be done for the day I just sleep wherever I end up.

I’ve run Big Agnes tents for years. Big fan. With gear, it’s quality, weight, and price. You can usually have two of the three (assuming you’re not filthy rich), and I’ve found BA to offer a good mix of all three. Right now I’m running a Fly Creek UL2 (retails for like $300?). Plenty of space for me (I’m not bite-sized) and some of my gear. Total weight is under 2.5 lbs. They used to make a 3P version that would prob work for two grown men; I think it may have been discontinued, but I’m sure they still make something comparable.

I have never put my backpack or bow in my tents. They are left outside hanging on bow hooks covered with contractor garbage bags or a pack rain cover. Only thing in my tent are clothes stuffed in pillow case and basic sleep stuff. Food is also left outside hanging in a waterproof bag. This leaves me a ton of room to dress and move around. Leave boots in the vestibule. Buy the 3p Copper or Tigerwall with double vestibule and split carrying the tent parts.

My hunting partners and I have been utilizing the sandwich technique the last few years. It's designed to optimize floor space and minimize pack weight.
Are you the lucky one that gets to be the filling in the middle? Asking for a friend

It sounds like it's time for separate tents. Your requirements vs your dad's requirements are different. You could easily take that lightweight 2-person tent and just run the rain fly and a tarp for more space, and your dad can purchase a 1-2 man lightweight tent that he can set up however he wants.
This as well. 2 people in a 2-person tent just sounds like too much, unless you are from California, and that sounds about right.

I'm not in your league for height, however, if I was exploring tent options, I'd start with the Durston line. He has pro line and a standard line. Either might work for you and your Dad.

Dan Becker is a big fan. He does regular hiking gear reviews.

I am curious to see if anyone else has run into this issue, or what their best solution has been?

Previously, we have purchased a light weight 2p tent (my dad and I hunt together in late September at high elevations and we backpack all of our gear in). In our experience the 2p tent is too small for us. He is 6'2", I am 6'7". For starters, I had experienced my feet touching one side with my head smudged in the other. It didn't make for hardly any sleep our entire trip... Between both of our packs and bows, I have been doing my best to look for lighter weight, but dependable 3p tent ideas that offer a little more room for sleep and gear. I could care less if it had a floor or not but the old man refuses any idea without one. Last season, I hucked around a standard 3p tent that had to have been around 12-15lbs in its entirety... My pack ended up weighing in at almost 60lbs full (heaviest I have ever had it). I'm looking to cut that down significantly. I can handle the weight, but I also believe in making things a little more manageable/mobile whenever possible, so I am open to suggestions or ideas.

Side note, for myself personally, the tent/sleep system setup has been the one thing that has been the most irritating & difficult for me to dial in, as it's been a bunch of trial and error with not much success in that category. We have tried several different tents and sleeping pads, and we have also run a trip with just hammocks. But as we have started to hunt later into September, Hammocks tend to be a little too cold at night and they offer 0 protection from any potential weather. I've also tried out 3 different sleeping bags but with my broad shoulders and height, I think that's just always destined to be an issue LOL.

I appreciate any advice, suggestions, or recommendations!
Might be time for two tents. Also, you can get hammocks with rain fly systems that provide good weather protection. Might be worth exploring. Good luck

Have you looked at the Kifaru Sawtooth with a floor/liner or pack your own. It would be large enough for both of you, your father and your gear and if you were so inclined could also run a stove. But again that's extra weight. You would also have a little more head room then normal. While I am not as tall as you I have had the same problem with sleeping bags especially anything for backpacking-I am 6'4 and 245lbs. I have even thought about trying out the Sitka sleeping bag along with a packable down blanket as I can't find anything that fits comfortably either my feet or my shoulders. Can I ask what pack you use as I find that is difficult as well to find one that has a long enough torso a lot of hip belts ride high I have an old Dana Long Bed for packing but I can't hunt with it at all it's heavy and noisy. Looking at buying the Mystery Ranch Beartooth or Metcalf this spring.

Have you looked at the Kifaru Sawtooth with a floor/liner or pack your own. It would be large enough for both of you, your father and your gear and if you were so inclined could also run a stove. But again that's extra weight. You would also have a little more head room then normal. While I am not as tall as you I have had the same problem with sleeping bags especially anything for backpacking-I am 6'4 and 245lbs. I have even thought about trying out the Sitka sleeping bag along with a packable down blanket as I can't find anything that fits comfortably either my feet or my shoulders. Can I ask what pack you use as I find that is difficult as well to find one that has a long enough torso a lot of hip belts ride high I have an old Dana Long Bed for packing but I can't hunt with it at all it's heavy and noisy. Looking at buying the Mystery Ranch Beartooth or Metcalf this spring.
I have not! I will look into that. I don't anticipate using a stove, however, I like the idea of having the option especially if we end up on a later season hunt.

As far as the pack goes, I run a Kuiu 3600. For myself, the hip belts seem to be okay, but I also have long legs and my hips sit high as it is. Its the first "nice" pack I purchased and have ran it a few years now. Unfortunately I can't really compare it to anything else because I have not ever used anything else. I wouldn't say it's "comfortable" by any means, but I have just chalked that up to being part of the challenge of hunting, I never thought to question whether the pack is actually the right fit for me. Maybe thats part of my problem every season.. :ROFLMAO:

I'll thumbs up the copper spur ul3 as well. Can run it several different ways. Fly and footprint if it's decent weather to save weight. I also have the Durston single and love it as well. My brother runs the xmid 2 and it's a roomy 2 man, but sure was glad we had the big agmes to share the last time we were out together. Wasnt roomy, but not uncomfortable either.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back