Tell me about your elk camp canvas tent setup! Add pictures if you got em

I like having a floor. Just throw out a couple of canvas tarps. Easy to sweep up the mess and you don’t have a sewn in floor to make it harder to dry out.

I got the Kodiak 10x14 and it has served me well. Practice setting it up in your yard a couple times and if by the third try you can’t do it in 15 minutes by yourself, just sell it because you probably shouldn’t be going into the woods anyway. I was impressed with how well it handled 3 days of ridiculous wind on the prairie. Also impressed with how well it handled 24” of snow in the mountains. I installed a stove jack and a small Riley stove and think it turned out great without a lot of effort. Welders blanket material is cheap and makes a good heat shield for the back wall and to protect the floor. I spent a few years going the mr buddy route. Just got sick of the constant growing pile of empty green bottles. Wasn’t interested in lugging a 5 gallon tank around either. I just love wood stoves and wood smoke I guess. If a lot of snow is forecasted a10x10 Poly tarp brown over the top with a bungee going to each corner stake will guarantee no snow load problems. Hope you enjoy yours to, should last a lifetime

I bet that thing gets hot as hell in there lol!

I like having a floor. Just throw out a couple of canvas tarps. Easy to sweep up the mess and you don’t have a sewn in floor to make it harder to dry out.
Yep, I like a floor as well. I went with that fake turf looking stuff when I bought my tent 15 years ago. I was skeptical, but it works pretty awesome. Its 12 feet wide, so I bought a 14x12 foot piece. Works great leaving the front 4 or so feet of the tent a dirt where the wood stove and cooking stove go. I put runners from the door to the fake turf.

Surprisingly that stuff has proven to be hell for stout, rolls up pretty small, its light, dries quickly and I can't think of anything much better to use.

IMG_5077.JPG

To protect the floor of my Kodiak and make for easier cleanout, I use carpet scraps of various sizes. They go under every cot and table leg, and everywhere I walk. No boots in tent. When one gets dirty, take it out and shake it off.

And I put a tarp under the floor to protect it from sharps on the ground I might have missed before pitching. Seems like the floor, while stout, is the most vulnerable part of a Kodiak tent.

I'm going to have to try this idea out. I wanted the floor in mine, but it does get tiresome trying to keep it clean. I'm going to start looking for some spare carpet to lay down in the main walking area and that should help a ton.

Kodiak Tent tip #2:
Can us lag bolts and washers instead of stakes.

I tried this a few times last season and made the 16 stakes go in and out like a breeze.

Just need a solid drill or impact gun. Previously in hard ground I bent a couple of the stakes, but this made it super easy.
Im gonna try this! I think a ziptie under the washer might hold better than the rubber bands. Cool idea!

I ordered a couple of washable canvas tarps to pit on the floor. It seems to be highly recommended. They are cheap and easy as well

I ordered a couple of washable canvas tarps to pit on the floor. It seems to be highly recommended. They are cheap and easy as well
The really nice thing is how compact they are. Three heavy tarps that will cover my entire floor are about 2’x1’x8”.

I leave the area under my stove bare. Sweep them off every day or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not bothered with anything yet to hold the washers with bolts, so am just a little careful. Can keep it super simple but man it makes set up and take down so nice and easy.

Well, the tent finally came in. First setup took about a hour with lots of cussing and a rock getting thrown across the prairie. Definitely glad I set it up before going out. It true Wyoming fashion, 20 mins post setup, a storm came through. 40 mph winds, lots of rain, and pea sized hail. I cant express how impressed I am with this tent. It is bone dry inside and held up like a champ. I am getting more and more excited to take it out for the elk opener!

Attachments

• 20230726_171221.jpg
    20230726_171221.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 20230726_181809.jpg
    20230726_181809.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20230726_190844.jpg
    20230726_190844.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 59
  • 20230727_175602.jpg
    20230727_175602.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 64
  • 20230727_200702.jpg
    20230727_200702.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 61
  • 20230727_200706.jpg
    20230727_200706.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 59
Well, the tent finally came in. First setup took about a hour with lots of cussing and a rock getting thrown across the prairie. Definitely glad I set it up before going out. It true Wyoming fashion, 20 mins post setup, a storm came through. 40 mph winds, lots of rain, and pea sized hail. I cant express how impressed I am with this tent. It is bone dry inside and held up like a champ. I am getting more and more excited to take it out for the elk opener!
Cool post except for the selfie.😎

Name of tent?

I have a bell canvas tent. I got it for the ease of setup and take down. I either camp by myself or with my boys, and you never know how much help they will be on any given day depending on the weather lol. I have really enjoyed my bell tent, but I completely understand your concern about space. You do lose some of the the floor space due to rectangular vs circle shapes. I have camped with my 2 boys and myself on cots with a wood burning stove and had room for a small table inside for several nights in my 13' bell tent. But, if you are really interested in maximizing the space you have, I would go with a cabin style.View attachment 284511View attachment 284512View attachment 284513
Would you recommend the Bell tent for 2-3 adults? I have been considering one. How easy is it to set up if you are by yourself? They look a lot easier to set up than a wall tent but I've never set one up.

Would you recommend the Bell tent for 2-3 adults? I have been considering one. How easy is it to set up if you are by yourself? They look a lot easier to set up than a wall tent but I've never set one up.
It depends on how you are sleeping. With cots, 2 adults can easily do it comfortably. 3 adults is going to be tight with cots, but doable. If you are on the ground with a pad and bag, 3 adults would be no problem. I have the 13 foot tent. You can get a bigger one and probably fit 3 cots with no problem. I've done my cot, which is a really large cot, my son on a regular size cot, and my younger son on a kids cot. It wasn't like there was a ton of walking room, but we all fit with the stove, tote, and other gear.

The bell tent is going to be way easier to set up than the regular cabin style. I can do it by myself in about 15 minutes, most of which is pounding stakes in the ground. It really sets up and takes down very simply.

I have a Davis (under old ownership) 16x20, we have hunted anywhere from 2 to 6 out of it comfortably. If you're like me, the thing you will miss the most going from a camper to a tent is the crapper. As far as my tent goes, I have a large stove and 3/4 floor. The stove is right inside the door on the left as you enter the 3/4 floor gives us a good space for a "mudroom". The tent stays dry and warm in the worst of weather (if someone feeds the fire). I have been toying with the idea of converting my stove to a gravity fed pellet stove so it burns all night.

I run just one coleman propane lantern for light and it works well enough to read by. The layout changes based on how many are in camp. Usually, beds are along the back wall and the table is in the middle. I have the kitchen set-up from Cabela's to the right as you walk in. I will look around for som pictures.
Please update us if you do a pellet conversion. This is something I'm very interested in trying

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back