Yeti GOBOX Collection

Tell me about your elk camp canvas tent setup! Add pictures if you got em

Wyhunter

Well, I finally sold my camper and I amswitching it up to a canvas tent. I will be solo hunting, mostly in the early season for archery. Right now, my main idea is the Kodiak 10x10 w/stove and heat shield, or the kodiak 12x12 same setup. I see wilderness ridge has come out with a few options along with cabelas. I am open to ideas. Tell me the good and the bad. Any insight, pictures, etc would be greatly appreciated. Im planning on rocking a XL cot and small table/chair setup as well. Ive seen a few posts on here, a lot of you support the Kodiak and ive talked to a few people already. Just trying to pick as many brains as I can.

I’ve owned several wall tents over the last 50 years or so. My favorite has been Montana Canvas. My 20 x 14 is currently set up in the pasture while I make some minor repairs after 25 years of elk and deer camps. The 12x16 is about 12 years old and doesn’t need any attention this summer.
Certainly impressed with Kodiak Canvas. From what I’ve seen they are well made. 10x10 will work just fine solo, one extra hunting partner would be fine. I would probably go 12 x
12 just in case you start having one or two go along on the hunt.
If I’m hunting solo or with one other I take the 12x16; three or four the 20x14; five or six, both tents.
Good luck, it’s a good way to spend hunting season.

I have a Davis (under old ownership) 16x20, we have hunted anywhere from 2 to 6 out of it comfortably. If you're like me, the thing you will miss the most going from a camper to a tent is the crapper. As far as my tent goes, I have a large stove and 3/4 floor. The stove is right inside the door on the left as you enter the 3/4 floor gives us a good space for a "mudroom". The tent stays dry and warm in the worst of weather (if someone feeds the fire). I have been toying with the idea of converting my stove to a gravity fed pellet stove so it burns all night.

I run just one coleman propane lantern for light and it works well enough to read by. The layout changes based on how many are in camp. Usually, beds are along the back wall and the table is in the middle. I have the kitchen set-up from Cabela's to the right as you walk in. I will look around for som pictures.

Are you planning on packing any of your camp into places you can’t drive to?

If not, go bigger. I have a 12x16and love it. It’s perfect for 2-3. Accommodates 4-6.
Bigger is better.
The canvas tent will definitely be my base camp where I can drive to. Ive toyed with the idea of spike camp hunting, but I dont feel it would be beneficial where I currently hunt.

I have a Davis (under old ownership) 16x20, we have hunted anywhere from 2 to 6 out of it comfortably. If you're like me, the thing you will miss the most going from a camper to a tent is the crapper. As far as my tent goes, I have a large stove and 3/4 floor. The stove is right inside the door on the left as you enter the 3/4 floor gives us a good space for a "mudroom". The tent stays dry and warm in the worst of weather (if someone feeds the fire). I have been toying with the idea of converting my stove to a gravity fed pellet stove so it burns all night.

I run just one coleman propane lantern for light and it works well enough to read by. The layout changes based on how many are in camp. Usually, beds are along the back wall and the table is in the middle. I have the kitchen set-up from Cabela's to the right as you walk in. I will look around for som pictures.
Id love to see them when you get a chance to post. I curious how to have a setup with descent flow. I was looking at a bell canvas tent, but I like the square shape better, as most of what I am bringing has a square or rectangular shape to it.

I’ve owned several wall tents over the last 50 years or so. My favorite has been Montana Canvas. My 20 x 14 is currently set up in the pasture while I make some minor repairs after 25 years of elk and deer camps. The 12x16 is about 12 years old and doesn’t need any attention this summer.
Certainly impressed with Kodiak Canvas. From what I’ve seen they are well made. 10x10 will work just fine solo, one extra hunting partner would be fine. I would probably go 12 x
12 just in case you start having one or two go along on the hunt.
If I’m hunting solo or with one other I take the 12x16; three or four the 20x14; five or six, both tents.
Good luck, it’s a good way to spend hunting season.
Thank you for the information! Thats quite the longevity from your wall tents. I hope in 25 years Ill be in a cabin and my son can hike everything out ha.

Have you ever read the kids book “If YoU Give Mouse a Cookie”?

If you get a wall tent you will need a stove. If you have a stove you will want to have firewood inside where it’s dry.

You will want a cot to sleep on and a chair to sit beside the wood stove and drink your coffee.
Since you are drinking coffee you will want to cook on the propane burner that you have sitting on your folding table.

Since you have a comfortable camp you will realize that hunting with a friend or two makes camp life more fun.

Go bigger.

I sure enjoy my Kodiak tent. I’ll check the dimensions tomorrow. It’s really nice in colder weather. The Buddy Heater warms it up nicely.

I used it on a drop camp last year in ak worked amazing with my titanium wood burner was far from cold I like I can throw it all in my Cherokee and take off those other set ups are nice but sure do take a lot of work and space

I sure enjoy my Kodiak tent. I’ll check the dimensions tomorrow. It’s really nice in colder weather. The Buddy Heater warms it up nicely.
I appreciate it. From what I am gathering, the buddy heater works great. The package deal I was looking at comes with a stove. Might be overkill in the early season. Sitting next to a warm fire, sure heals the soul though.

I used it on a drop camp last year in ak worked amazing with my titanium wood burner was far from cold I like I can throw it all in my Cherokee and take off those other set ups are nice but sure do take a lot of work and space
Youve peaked my interest. Im going to do some research on it and see if I can find some videos.

Id love to see them when you get a chance to post. I curious how to have a setup with descent flow. I was looking at a bell canvas tent, but I like the square shape better, as most of what I am bringing has a square or rectangular shape to it.
I have a bell canvas tent. I got it for the ease of setup and take down. I either camp by myself or with my boys, and you never know how much help they will be on any given day depending on the weather lol. I have really enjoyed my bell tent, but I completely understand your concern about space. You do lose some of the the floor space due to rectangular vs circle shapes. I have camped with my 2 boys and myself on cots with a wood burning stove and had room for a small table inside for several nights in my 13' bell tent. But, if you are really interested in maximizing the space you have, I would go with a cabin style.BellTent1.jpegBellTent2.jpegBellTent3.jpeg

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back