Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tell me about your elk camp canvas tent setup! Add pictures if you got em

It depends on how you are sleeping. With cots, 2 adults can easily do it comfortably. 3 adults is going to be tight with cots, but doable. If you are on the ground with a pad and bag, 3 adults would be no problem. I have the 13 foot tent. You can get a bigger one and probably fit 3 cots with no problem. I've done my cot, which is a really large cot, my son on a regular size cot, and my younger son on a kids cot. It wasn't like there was a ton of walking room, but we all fit with the stove, tote, and other gear.

The bell tent is going to be way easier to set up than the regular cabin style. I can do it by myself in about 15 minutes, most of which is pounding stakes in the ground. It really sets up and takes down very simply.
Yes, we will probably be using cots. I might just have to go a little bigger for size. Good to know they are a lot easier to set up. Thanks for the response. Good luck this fall!

Yes, we will probably be using cots. I might just have to go a little bigger for size. Good to know they are a lot easier to set up. Thanks for the response. Good luck this fall!
Used a 10x16 canvas tent a couple times will try and find the pictures. We could sleep 4 full size cots, the metal military ones that are a pain to get the last bar in. Doing this there was NO ground space left. We had a stove and had enough clearance around it to burn safely but was super tight otherwise.

After that trip we bought the Disc O bed bunk bed cots. Have the regular size 4 people is very comfortable with that setup and leaves a lot of room.

Are you planning on packing any of your camp into places you can’t drive to?

If not, go bigger. I have a 12x16and love it. It’s perfect for 2-3. Accommodates 4-6.
Bigger is better.
@Gerald Martin @BuzzH for you guys with the 14x16 and up tents... is there any plausible way to set that up solo? I am almost always the first guy into camp and it would be awesome if it were possible to set it up solo - so figured I would ask

I don't have any pictures, but ours was about 14x16 and we used locally cut pines for the ridgepoles. Just left the poles there, scattered them around for next year. Someone may have left the stove around too, well hidden, but he is long dead, so I'm not really sure. AFAIK it was all packed in on horses each year.

And no, it's not a one person set up. At least not easily. But, as the purpose of a 14x16 is to hunt hard, drink red beers and tell lies, you should be able to entice someone to help you.

@Gerald Martin @BuzzH for you guys with the 14x16 and up tents... is there any plausible way to set that up solo? I am almost always the first guy into camp and it would be awesome if it were possible to set it up solo - so figured I would ask

Absolutely. With two folks it takes about 10 minutes. By myself about half an hour.

I agree with Gerald, probably 30 minutes solo assuming internal frame. First couple times you set them up might take longer.

I appreciate it. From what I am gathering, the buddy heater works great. The package deal I was looking at comes with a stove. Might be overkill in the early season. Sitting next to a warm fire, sure heals the soul though.
Not if the rain or early snow sets in you'll want the stove, my stove has the hot water tank on the side too, great time saver when your getting out in the morning- ( I've got to have my coffee first thing) but you can heat almost any thing in hot water.
check out Davis Tent and awning out of Denver Co. they have framed cabin tents and will make almost any size you want my 12x14 take less then 1/2 hour to put up,then I added a 12x10 as a cook tent.I even had a 6x10 made with stove jack that fit on my trailer for solo hunting. good luck enjoy your tent.

Another Kodiak 10x14 fan here. I have used mine with 2-3 hunters on Sept and Oct hunts, or to sleep 4-5 on summer campouts back here in PA. Just a buddy heater to take the edge off in the mornings has worked great, down to the upper teens. The thing is pretty bombproof, stays dry, and we like the floor with carpet runners like others have mentioned.

20211013_173658.jpg

An old 12x14 wall tent.

And a 10x14 Springbar Family Camper.

Depends on the season. The wall tent has been up for up to 4 months during the last few winters.

It's on its last leg, after 20 years of use.

Attachments

• 20221215_083803.jpg
    20221215_083803.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20220820_151941.jpg
    20220820_151941.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
I agree with Gerald, probably 30 minutes solo assuming internal frame. First couple times you set them up might take longer.
Yep. I have a 14x16 Davis tent I almost always set up by myself. The only difficult part is getting the off side legs on, I’ll find some pictures.

Davis 14x16. I put a tarp over that extends out to make a porch and add tarps on sides of the porch and half the front. It makes for a cozy area to cook and keep the coolers and wood covered.

Attachments

• IMG_1331.jpeg
    IMG_1331.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1330.jpeg
    IMG_1330.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1329.jpeg
    IMG_1329.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 38
I have a 10x14 Springbar - have used it the last 5 years
currently been living in it out here on the Outer Banks since mid-April this year and will until mid-November I expect (have a contract gig I am working out here)

only complaint is the mosquito netting is VERY fine and I have torn it three times on the door - they did send me the patch material free

I understand from my little bit of research that Kodiak's mesh is heavier duty. I am likely buying a smaller tent here soon and will likely go Kodiak, though I do prefer USA made stuff, so still debating

image0.jpeg

Officially pulled the trigger on a Davis 14x20 Elk Plus Package after chatting with an awesome HT member who has had his for 15 years; we pick it up next week. Will be fun to see roomy it is as we take on 1st, 3rd and 4th season here in CO with it. After chatting with them, we upgraded the stove and the stakes.

If you're thinking about getting a Davis Tent, ask for Corina, she was awesome to work with.

Last edited:
Officially pulled the trigger on a Davis 14x20 Elk Plus Package after chatting with an awesome HT member who has had his for 15 years; we pick it up next week. Will be fun to see roomy it is as we take on 1st, 3rd and 4th season here in CO with it. After chatting with them, we upgraded the stove and the stakes.

If you're thinking about getting a Davis Tent, ask for Corina, she was awesome to work with.
Davis is a good choice. I usually take some homemade S hooks to hang stuff from the frame.

IMG_6883.jpeg

IMG_2677.jpeg

You have the tent and stove, now you have to engage in the time suck of cutting and gathering wood. I’m gonna keep that to a minimum this year. I have 6 40 lb bags of these. Just need kindling to get it started.
5 bucks a bag.
IMG_6846.jpegIMG_6847.jpeg

You have the tent and stove, now you have to engage in the time suck of cutting and gathering wood. I’m gonna keep that to a minimum this year. I have 6 40 lb bags of these. Just need kindling to get it started.
5 bucks a bag.
View attachment 287753View attachment 287754
Luckily I have about two cords of wood behind my house from a recent fire mitigation job by @Dsnow9 so I'm covered for a but. Plus its always a bonus to have a hunting partner with an unlimited supply of wood from his tree biz

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back