Another Wyoming Elk Story

jabber

This story really started at the end of last year. Due to work, I was planning on doing but hopefully one out of state hunt this year with that being my son's youth deer hunt in AZ, as he should have enough points to be drawn in the max pool pass. So when I applied in Wyoming to a unit that had been requiring max points and me being 1 point back I knew the odds of drawing would be great. When the results were posted, to say that I was shocked that I had drawn would be an understatement.

I am not going into my methods for choosing this unit, but I had never hunted it, or even been in it before. I did quite a few searches online and the info I could find was very limited. I got the list of previous hunters from the HF, but being rather shy, didn't actually get any information from them. I did pm one user on here who told me it was a good tag and I should be happy about it. I ordered my maps and used google earth to get a feel for it, and then Jake and I took a quick trip to the unit over labor day. I guess the bow season was already open, as there were hunters and 4 wheelers everywhere. With that in mind we didn't do any real scouting, just drove the rodes a little and picked out a few camp sites.

Fast forward to Wednesday of last week, and my 80 year old father and I head out pulling my jeep and a trailer. We made it about 300 yards before my "Service Traction Control" light came on. Messed with the wiring a little and it went away. We made the 1250 mile trip and arrived at the area about 6:30 Thursday evening with little light left to set up camp but first we had to find a new area, because everywhere I had planned on camping was already full. Finally found a spot and opened up the trailer to find that everything had been bounced around pretty bad from the roads and 3 legs on the wood heater had been broken off. We set the tent up and red-necked the heater with spare tent spikes. Didn’t look real good but was effective. If I had been by myself, seeing how warm it was, I probably would have just foregone the heater, but Dad was cold and wanted it running at night. Here is a couple of camp pictures.

DSC_3123.jpg

DSC_3128.jpg

DSC_3134.jpg

317572_10150341369807766_680337765_8088243_614280966_n.jpg

I finished setting up camp Friday morning and spent the afternoon looking around. I was lost, as I knew where I wanted to hunt from google maps but couldn’t translate that to where I was on the ground. I did find an area that had some sign and heard one bugle but the way the prevailing wind blew, I wouldn’t be able to hunt it from where I was. I went back to camp and then up on a high point overlooking some private land and was finally able to figure out exactly where I was on my map which ended up being 3or 4 miles from where I thought I was going to be. This was a big relief to know where I was, with that I was able to determine the area that I heard the bugle on the map and then found a way in to the opposite side so the wind would be in my favor.

My plan for opening morning was to drive to the area where it looked like I could park, be there before shooting time and then as it got light proceed to look for a glassing spot or maybe even an elk. I was in position about 30 minutes early, so I just sat in the jeep and waited for light. About 10 minutes before light I heard a bugle come from the same general area as it had last night. As soon as I could see a little I headed out from the jeep into the woods. I had been traveling for about 30 minutes when I apparently spooked some type of animal as I heard them making a retreat but did not see them. I saw a pretty big rock pile ahead of me, so I headed up on it to see if I could do a little glassing from it. I wasn’t on top more than about 5 minutes when I heard a shot from across the ridge to my east. Shortly after that I stared hearing a couple of bugles from that direction. 5 minutes later, I start hearing movement coming in my direction from the ridge then I could see elk running through the trees. I picked out two cows, a small bull leading a larger bull. They were moving at a pretty good clip through the trees on top of a ridge. A quick range put it about 200 yards, but there was no way I could get a shot, as they were moving and the trees were thick. Then the bigger bull turned down the ridge and was coming my direction, but still the thickness of the trees made it impossible to shoot and pretty difficult to just try to see him through the binoculars. I could tell he had six points on one side but never got a good view of him. That being said, I made up my mind real quick, that for a first elk ever, he would work if I got the chance to take him.

As he was coming down the ridge the other bull and cows turned to come down from a different angle and put them back in front again. The big bull went through an small opening between a couple of trees, but by the time I got my scope on him, all I could see were hind quarters. While looking in front of him I saw the other elk go through another small opening which gave me about 18” to shoot through. I moved around and got set up on the bipod and as soon as he appeared in my scope, the .300 RUM spoke and I saw the bull hunch up as he had been hit, he took a couple of stagger steps and rolled over. 5 years after my first elk hunt, this 46 year old had finally killed an elk. I did a quick range and found that my shot had been about 88 yards, so much for all of that long range practice I had been doing. It was 7:30, all of my planning and waiting, the long trip, the camp setup and all had been done for a mere one hour hunt.

I made my way down off of the rock pile and over to where he had fallen. It was then that I first found out that his driver side was broke off at his fourth point and his fourth point on the passenger side also had the tip broke off. Didn’t matter to me a bit, I am still very excited and thrilled to take my first elk and to top it off it was a bull. I pulled out my camera and started taking pictures, sadly that ended with six as the battery died and I had put a full charge on it the night before. Bad battery, should have listened to Jake when he told me that the last time he used it. I had my cell phone so I took a couple more with it.

PA012325.jpg

PA012323.jpg

PA012327.jpg

Now, I was only a little over a half of a mile from the jeep, but was by myself and in a hole. The realization was starting to set in. I had a job in front of me. First elk means I had never cleaned one before, and it also looked a little bit bigger than the Texas whitetail I am used to dealing with. I tell myself “well you are not getting it done this way” and went to work. All of the time that I was taking pictures there were shots going off and bulls bugling all around me. While gutting it, I heard a noise and looked up and saw two cows and a small raghorn bull walk by at about 20 yards and never even look my way. By 1:30 I had all four quarters, back straps and loins hanging up with the hind quarters being boned out and had preformed my first caping job on an animal. I wasn’t sure if I was going to mount it or not, but figured I would get the hide out if I didn’t screw it up. I think I did a good job of the caping, but guess I will let the taxidermist be the judge of that. I loaded up all of my gear in my small backpack and headed back to camp to eat a quick bite of lunch, grab my big backpack and come back.

When I got back to camp I took a quick look at the map, and it looked like there was a small road that would take me a little bit closer to him. I drove it when I got back and when I say road that might be an exaggeration, once upon a time it was a road, but now it was more of a 4 wheeler trail. I was able to make it down it in the jeep with tree limbs rubbing the sides most of the way. When I got to about a quarter of a mile via the gps, I noticed a game trail heading in that direction. The trail ended up going almost directly to the bull.

Last edited:
Continued from above

I have never packed an animal in a back pack in my life, so I picked what I figured was the lightest load, a single front quarter for my first load. I first tried to load it with the leg bone sticking up and that wouldn’t work with my pack, so I turned it around with the bone sticking out the bottom (I know, leaving myself wide open there) strapped it down and was off. The first couple of hundred feet were uphill and by the time I got to the top this sea level living flatlander needed a break. So I found a rock and went to set down, but the leg bone hit the rock and wouldn’t let me set down with out bending over, not exactly relaxing. “Well you are not getting it done this way” became my motto as I used it quite a bit during this and all the remaining pack outs. So I take off and make it a ways further and decide it is time for another break and pick out a rock that is kind of rounded off that I can sit on with out the leg bone hitting anything. I am sure some of you can see what is going to happen next, but I didn’t. I turn around to plop down on the rock, just like I would if I was setting in a chair. Well low and behold if that weight on my back didn’t keep my momentum going and I ended up doing a back flip off of the rock. Other than a few scratches on my arm and a big blow to my ego, I had no real problems. Lesson learned. “Well you are not getting it done this way”. By 6:30 I had all 4 quarters back at the jeep. I learned that boned out meat doesn’t ride to well on the outside of the back pack. The saw I had brought to cut the horns off wasn’t working, so I decided to go ahead and take the meat back and come back the next morning and get the hide and horns.

Sunday morning I get up at 7, make the 45 minute trip to my parking spot. As I am going down the small “road” about half way down it I noticed a pile of sticks in the middle of the road and thought “wow, I don’t remember seeing those yesterday” and went on. Right at my parking spot/game trail is another pile of sticks and I know those were not there yesterday, so I must have some company in the area. When I leave the jeep I have about 50 yards of woods to go through before I come out in a small clearing. Right as I am approaching the clearing, I noticed a hunter easing through it. When he saw me, he came over and talked a little, as he was looking for a cow he had hit in the leg that morning without much luck of finding it. When I left him going on over to my bull, I hear a bugle on the ridge behind me but didn’t see anything. I went on over and started sawing on the skull cap again when I hear a noise behind me, figuring it was just the hunter had came over to look at my bull, I turned and was surprised to see a 6x6 at 15 yards that was much bigger than my bull. He just walked on by without ever looking over at me.

I finally get the horns off, note to self, get a better bone saw, load the hide up in the back pack, throw the horns over my shoulders and take off on my fifth and final load. I have a new found respect for you guys that pack these things out for miles up and down hills. Don’t know if I could have done that. Get back to camp, finish helping my father break camp down and get everything loaded and pull out by 1:00 pm. About 1250 miles later, we had made it back home.

I know Texan’s have a bad name in the western states, but I must say that I was really “impressed” by the number of hunters on 4 wheelers in this area. Just about every camp had at least one and most camps had 3 or 4 or more in it. Driving down the road was an adventure. Like I said, it was about 30 minutes of main road driving from my camp to the small road and there were 4 wheelers around just about every corner. I don’t think you can blame all of these on NRs, as there are very few tags given to them. I understand now why the published harvest rate is around 50%. If a few more of these “hunters” would park and walk like this out of shape flatlander, I am sure they would have more success.

This was definitely an OYOA type of hunt that had a lot of “first’s” in it. First elk, first bull, first pack out, first cape job, first 2500 mile trip pulling two vehicles, first 1 hour long hunt just to name a few and I just hope it was not my last hunt with my father.

If anyone would like to throw out a score I would appreciate it. Either what it is or what it was before being broke off.

Last edited:
Congrats on the bull. You did well. It is amusing to read the trial-and-error learning that we all had to go through at one time. Thanks for sharing the details.

Congratulations.

If the left side matched the right side I think that would be a 320 - 330 bull.

Sounds a bit crowded, but sounds like there are plenty of elk and some nice bulls in that unit.

Thanks for sharing.

That is a great bull for your first...broken beam or not! Congrats! Well done on the story too and I agree with Oak...we have all been there at one time or another and sounds like you learned on the fly rather well!

Super job, on tagging out on a nice bull, and on sharing your adventure with us! Like you mentioned, a lot of firsts --- hope it's the start of more elk hunts to come ...

Darn good story well spoken. Therer's something about the sixth time being a charm Jeff.....congrats, glad you got to take your Pop....like others have stated, wish I could've done the same.

Given the number of elk "walking right on by" you, I'm thinking you have an "elk cloaking device" that would sell like hotcakes!! Beautiful recounting of the adventure. Thanks for the story and pics.

Big congrats! I'd be pickled tink with a bull like that! Glad you were able to share the adventure with your dad, savor those trips.

PS- I've found it much easier to bone out the critter and put the meat in the pack.

This is Jacob, I'm so proud of my dad and I can't wait for my first bull elk hunt!! At least now he knows what he's doing and I wont have to do too much when I harvest my first bull (which I have already told him will be bigger than his)! Congrats Dad Love ya.

The biggest surprise is that he was able to tell the story so well. Now I know he needs to do a better job of editing my essays for school!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back