Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

canvas wall tent vs poly

CForest

I drew a Gila rifle tag in New Mexico, and being from Montana I don't really want to drag a camper 1400 miles. So I am looking at large tents. Can anyone help me in the pros/cons of a canvas wall tent vs a "poly" style??? By poly, I am referring to those like the cabelas alaknak, big horn 3 etc. Off season storage is not an issue for me, ease of setup is. At times I could be by myself, or just my wife to help. Not sure how many people will be coming along. Room to sleep 3-4 would be a must at least, as well as the capability for a stove. If I have a tent, I hope to use it in the summer fishing along with hunting season. So a 3 season tent would be best, likely wont use it in the middle of winter, but Montana's rifle season does get chilly. Any recommendations on what to look for and consider would be greatly appreciated.

A wall tent with a internal frame I believe can be set up by one person and is good for cold weather when you have a wood stove. No experience with the others.

Dan

I use canvas and it works well. I use gas(propane) heat and with just a little ventilation, no odor and efficient, heats the tent easily and is convenient to carry propane tanks instead of wood.

A canvas wall tent will be warmer and have less condensation due to the breathability of the canvas. I run a 12x14 Montana and it is great for 3 people but gets a little tight with 4 cots and the stove. The poly/nylon tents will be lighter but not as durable and will suffer from condensation issues when it gets cold. I can set up my wall tent alone no problem. You just need to get a system down. I like a wood stove when ever possible because you get more BTUs and it puts the H2O from combustion up the chimney.

I have a 12x14 with frame and put it up alone. If you are going to use it in the summer I would get a screened window with plastic for the rear and one for each side. If you don't it will get pretty warm in hot weather. Using bunk bed cot's you can easily sleep 4 in it. Good luck.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back