Elk hunting camo vs Deer hunting camo ????

Braveheart

I live in Missouri and mostly hunt whitetails and turkey exclusively. I am going on my first rifle elk hunt hunt in Montana. I have leased close to 1000 acres for 7 days. It contains a lot of water. several pastures, meadows, thick timber and scattered timber which is surrounded mostly by public hunting ground which is really a small mountain.

My strategy is to not blow the elk off the place by humping all over it and stinking it up. I have picked out a couple good glassing spots and I plan to hunt the first few days in mostly what I would call an ambush setup. I may try and cover some ground and still hunt after 3 days if I have not seen much. My hopes are the elk will be feeding in the meadows and pastures escaping the public ground hunting pressure.

Since, I mostly hunt deer from either hunting blinds or tree stands, most of camo is suited for hot weather all the way down to an arctic shield camo that I have hunted with in -10 degrees. I mostly hunt in scent lock suits, not just for the scent control (if you believe they work) but because they are well built hunting camo. However most of it is designed for sitting still. Not hiking miles or humping all over. I usually dont wear a coat until I reach my stand to avoid sweating. The most that I might travel maybe 3/4 of a mile. If I start humping all around, I know that I will surely start sweating as most of my clothing doesn't breath well.

I did purchase a pair of boots for this trip and some under armour base layers that were for high activity in cold weather. I would say most of my clothing is for low activity. I don't have any of this "Sitka gear" stuff. I also don't have puffy light layers for cold and a lot of movement. I know that somewhere they is a guy hunting elk in his farm chore carharts and everyday worn flannel.

Given my set of circumstances for my hunt, what light weight cold weather gear should an elk hunter have??? What is your go to setup (layering system) for humping around elk hunting on a cold day?? Also I wont be buying an Sitka gear $$$ due to the fact that I have dropped a lot already for this trip, new boots, back pack, bino harness and a crap ton of other stuff. What are some good options that aren't going to break the bank.

Last edited:
Layers. One simple suggestion would be to get a cheap down jacket or vest. Costco usually has them in the fall. They aren't high-tech stuff but pack pretty small and can be pulled out a bag when switching from hiking to glassing. Yeah, there is some "guy hunting elk in his farm chore carhartts and everyday worn flannel" (or even cotton), but if bad weather hits you will find that guy staying in the cabin a lot.

Ok my 2 cents you dont need to spend a ton of money
I live in Pa and was in the same boat you are many yrs a go I use all merino wool base and mid layers lots of good stuff other than some of the big name brands look at cold pruf , I love darn tough socks
I dont start with much on if its cold medium level base layer and maybe a fleece due to walking to vantage point if im sitting then after a bit may get out my puffy for yrs had an old ll bean many others out their
shop around look for deals check out hiking gear dont worry to much about camo patterns climbed my first mtns with aluminum frame blue pack and filled my 1st tags with same stuff I used at home

I don’t wear camo for either. Camo is a good way to sell clothing but has little effect on hunting except for possibly turkey and ducks. I don’t wear camo for those two either.

Killed a bull at close range in my blue shirt and green pants.

Attachments

• IMG_8450.jpeg
    IMG_8450.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 59
Walmart or Costco. I’m in Michigan, sit in a blind in 70deg or -10. Found wrangler outdoor cargo stretch pants at Walmart for 25 bucks, gray green tan, merino mid weight socks on Amazon, cheap wicking base layer and even though I’m short I buy the “tall” tops so they tuck in my bottoms without having my skin exposed when I bend over. puffy coat at Sierra dot com or th max or any overstock wholesaler even mountain steels has deals. I do own some Sitka solids and love it but rarely wear it hunting. Most of my western clothes and also use for hiking in the smoky mountains early spring also doubles as every day work wear especially merino socks in the steel toes. I like carhart lightweight and medium weight tops with a full zipper. Can dump heat when you need it. Im no expert tho

I suggest don't overthink it. Consider #1. weather. Layers are your friend as @SAJ-99 suggested.

Heck, we're wearing bright orange for rifle...

Archery? It's more smell than anything. No scent detergent washed then - depending on how far you want to go with it, I know the pines and sage I hunt around - Bag it with boughs and clips of sage bush or whatever is on the leased property and that's as good as you can take it... Maybe, if archery on 1000 acres of cow country, buy a "Big Red Moo" blind to sneak up and pet y'er elk.

Then... there's definitely scrubbing yourself down with two gallons of Hydrogen Peroxide and follow it up with pine sap for gum... May even get away with using the Savage outfit noted above. Looks like enough orange. :)

Wish the best to you on your hunt.

I might not spend a dime on camo if I were in your shoes. Private land indicates you will likely be day hunting (not packing in and camping). If you’re coming out everyday I would not be afraid to wear fleece line jeans or Carhartts etc. I’ve shot two bulls, one 5 miles in and the other 3 miles in wearing fleece line Carhartt jeans. The one 5 miles in I ended up at ~50 yards and the bull never knew I was there.

One thing you likely don’t have is a good pair of gaiters. In deep snow those are how I prevented my cotton jeans from getting wet. Both of those hunts I was hiking out. A lightweight puffy is a good idea too, but 1k acre don’t see you hiking more than 5-6 miles a day so you could park just lug your cold weather jacket you have around if needed. Layering is key as you will be huffing and sweating then sit down to glass or wait and be frozen in 20 minutes if you don’t layer up.

I also came from Ohio so all my camo was for still hunting and my cold weather stuff is too heavy and bulky to pack unless it’s a short hike and I know I’ll be sitting for a while.

Definitely no need for camo, you’ll be wearing Orange and only need to get within 200-300 yards.

I’ve since migrated to using a lot of solid color merino wool and polyester outdoor pants, but for late season day hunts it’s hard to beat fleece lined carhartts for durability and warmth. Weight is only negative but I’m only wearing them for the day on those hunts. 🤷🏼‍♂️

3 miles in. My buddy and I have joked about someone starting a hunting show and featuring cotton “the fabric of our lives.”

If you’re backpacking or camping miles and miles in leave the cotton at home but I think it gets way more of a bad wrap than it deserves. Again, being smart and gaiters are a game changer. If it was going to be raining I would also not wear cotton.

Attachments

• 2B767154-D869-4150-8936-359B5E07E18A.jpeg
    2B767154-D869-4150-8936-359B5E07E18A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
3 miles in. My buddy and I have joked about someone starting a hunting show and featuring cotton “the fabric of our lives.”

If you’re backpacking or camping miles and miles in leave the cotton at home but I think it gets way more of a bad wrap than it deserves. Again, being smart and gaiters are a game changer. If it was going to be raining I would also not wear cotton.
Honest American, day hunting, blue Jean wearing, stone cold killers…. #keephammeringinwranglers

Don’t overthink what your wearing unless your going deep and plan on staying multiple nights

If your day hunting- wear whatever's comfortable and warm. (Don't overthink it)If you screw up and get soaked/cold, you can go back to the truck to warm up, and dry out. Backpack hunting is where it gets critical on clothing performance. Don't get me wrong, good performing clothes are nice but not necessary for success if working with a tight budget. Be conscious of your body temp and regulate with layers to avoid sweating to much and you'll be fine. Good luck on your hunt.

I wouldn’t worry about the Camo part of it. I would wear what would be comfortable and keep me in the field longer.

The big orange vest MT requires makes a camo ensemble underneath look pretty silly. I'd recommend some sort of "tech" pants - I have a pair of Sitka mountain pants but also use other lightweight outdoorsy pants. Anything that a little moisture will bead off and will dry quickly. I use the same pants from -20 to 80, just vary the weight of long johns underneath. For the top, a lightweight wicking shirt at the base - merino if you can swing it since it doesn't get as stinky after a few days of hiking. Then a lightweight fleece hoody that breathes well or a lightweight synthetic-insulation puffy jacket. Cheap ones with a nylon face aren't going to breathe as well, so I think this is an area where it's worth spending the money. Get a solid color you can wear on the town - mine's a black Arc'teryx Atom LT. Finally a hardshell jacket in the pack, doesn't matter much if it's breathable, you just want something very wind and water resistant. When you put it over some light insulation it will feel a lot warmer for the weight and will keep you out glassing longer in the wind and weather.

Im assuming you are going late October or November and I wouldn't buy new camo to hunt if you have some things you can layer. The main difference between whitetail hunting clothing and western hunting clothing has to do with weight. If you aren't having to carry everything in miles on your back, what you have will work great.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back