What state is the most WELCOMING to hunters?

2rocky

Where have you hunted where you felt like the local people were welcoming and cordial?

Seems like we all like to grouse about those damn out of staters that show up every year, but I had the opposite reaction in Eastern Wyoming. Folks were kind and helpful in Casper, Rawlins, Wright, Douglas and all around the area.

I believe Craig Colorado had a banner that said "Welcome Hunters" For a California boy that was a shocker.

In NV nobody could give a damn. In fact I notice a general "I don't give a $Hit about life" attitude from most people I met in service jobs across i-80 through out the state from hotels to restaurants to gas stations. The exception to that was the folks in Elko at the Western folklife center, the Star, and Capriolas.

Folks in Southern Idaho were the most likely to check out racks in your truck, and wave along the highway. In Idaho Falls it was the only time I've ever been checked in a roadside check station by fish and game and they were genuine and friendly.

What Hunting Locales did you feel Welcome in?

I've never had a problem anywhere I went, but I neverdrew a real trophy tag either.I hunt the same places residents can get licenses for which probably makes a big difference.i think if I took one of their LE tags things may be different

I've only asked permission for upland birds, turkey, whitetails and antelope, however, you can not beat the people in western South Dakota & North Dakota. I also agree that eastern Wyoming people are very friendly.

The big thing is to act polite, respect the land and actually care about the people whose land you are hunting.

good luck to all
the dog

Good question, but you are talking about people who have good days and bad. I have run into people while in Colorado that really need a anger management course (Durango), then 60 miles to the east in Pagosa Springs it seems they mellow out. New Mexico was a real nice surprise, very friendly but I wasn't after an Elk or Deer. Nebraska was also a friendly state, I was hunting the week long Gun season and everyone was in a Holiday spirit of let's just hunt! Arkansas this year has seen several folks stopping and just shooting the breeze with me, even the Game Warden was very nice. But, if a guy has just missed the buck of a lifetime or the spot he and his dad always camped at has a Fifth Wheel trailer with Louisiana plates is sitting there he might not be too friendly the rest of the season. John

Hands down Springerville, AZ was the frendliest community I have hunted. In addition, almost every AZ hunter I met in person or on the web was equally as helpful. I did have a premium AZ elk tag and was a non-resident. It didn't matter as everyone went out of their way to make sure I was on elk and enjoying the trip. Everything about that experience was first class! Thanks again AZ!

One of these days I'm going to hunt with Draftstud at his Arkansas shangri-la. I've been pretty much all the western part of that state on a motorcycle...friendly accommodating peeps IMO. Colorado has been a mixed bag but always has enough Texans in country to make it tolerable.

I agree with Buschy's comment about the folks in Springerville, AZ. Filmed near there the last two years and the folks were great. Williams, AZ would be in the same category.

Others high on my list would be Beulah, ND and Hotchkiss, CO. In Montana, it would be a toss up between Culbertson, Froid, or Medicine Lake.

Petersburg, Alaska had some very hunter-friendly folks also. Might have been influenced by Troy using the production company credit card to buy rounds for everyone at the bar until wee hours of the morn. :confused:

But tops would have to be my hometown of Big Falls, MN. Go there during hunting season and it is buzzing with activity. Everyone wants to help you find your buck. If all else fails, you can go to the local pub and if you know the right people, they will let you drink all night on MY tab.

Hey dink, Well I don't no what to tell ya,but any time I was in eagle The folks even at the grocery stores were nice too!! I spent the whole archery elk season there a few times and after being in the wilderness and not showering for weeks at a time It was hard for my buddy and i to believe too!! because we were RIPE!!!! if you catch my drift!!!!

I've found Montana to be pretty friendly...

Even if you were born there, once you leave, you're done.

IMG_3306.JPG

I think MT is probably the most unfriendly to NR of any state I've been. They're not all the friendly to the in-staters once they see your license plate #.

I know when I lived there I hated those pricks from Bozeman and Missoula. :D

Something curious to me....When I drive an older vehicle, people are friendlier, share more info, allow access to private, etc.

When I drove a new vehicle, landowners promptly offer a trespass price tag.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back