What is wrong with Wisconsin Hunters?

theat

I was out in central Montana hunting for deer last week and had a couple unpleasant encounters with two groups of hunters from Wisconsin. The first two guys parked right next to my truck about 1/2 and hour after we started hiking and followed our tracks in the snow behind us. They ended up seeing us at our glassing location and cut around us to walk right through the bedding area we were glassing. They went in on the upwind side and blew out all the deer. Later that morning we saw them shoot a fork horn mule deer about a mile further down the drainage. They walked up to the deer took a few pictures then started walking back to their truck. We figured they were going to get a sled or game cart, but no, they decided to drive right in to the deer. This was a big chunk of state land that was clearly marked as walk in only. They even had to cut the wired shut gate to get in there . I called the warden and left a message with their vehicle info and offered to send some pictures and video his way but haven't heard back.

Two days later another couple hunters with Wisconsin plates parked right behind us and started following us in again. When we got to our glassing location we spotted a decent buck that my friend wanted to shoot. We were about 800 yards from him and quickly started to cut the distance. There was a big bowl we crossed to get to a little hill about 250 yards from the buck. When we were just about to start to peak over the hill I spotted the two Wisconsin hunters sitting where we had just left. There isn't a single tree in-between where we were and where they were. We were wearing orange vests and hats. I could see them plain as day and I made the assumption that they would see us as well. Just as we were cresting the hill rounds started wizzing past us. Some sounded like they were just feet away. We hit the dirt and started yelling at them as loud as we could. They kept firing. One round struck the ground about 6 feet from my friend. I was very close to returning fire. After 6-7 shots in our direction the shooting stopped and we decided to head over to them and confront them. They must have decided that we looked pretty pissed and quickly hauled but back to their truck.

Just saw this article. Doesn't surprise me one bit after what happened to us. I really don't have anything against non resident hunters coming to Montana as long as they follow the rules and behave ethically. In fact, for the most part I find that non resident big game hunters tend to be better behaved than a lot of locals.

So wait....if you were just like 600 yards away from the guys shooting at you....how could you not catch up to them? LOL... I'm not buying this...even my old ass would catch them. And if they came in AFTER you, how do you know they were from WI?

That is atrocious.

Keep pushing follow ups until something is done, please.

Just left another message with the warden in that area. I mentioned that if I didn't hear anything back after several attempts to contact him, I was going to get in touch with the regional warden captain. Hopefully that will get him to call me back.

So wait....if you were just like 600 yards away from the guys shooting at you....how could you not catch up to them? LOL... I'm not buying this...even my old ass would catch them.

I thought we would catch up to them too. We did have to gain about 300' in elevation up the side of the hill that had 3-6' snow drifts so that slowed us down a bunch. They still must have been practically running to get out of there before we could catch up.

I was out in central Montana hunting for deer last week and had a couple unpleasant encounters with two groups of hunters from Wisconsin. The first two guys parked right next to my truck about 1/2 and hour after we started hiking and followed our tracks in the snow behind us. They ended up seeing us at our glassing location and cut around us to walk right through the bedding area we were glassing. They went in on the upwind side and blew out all the deer. Later that morning we saw them shoot a fork horn mule deer about a mile further down the drainage. They walked up to the deer took a few pictures then started walking back to their truck. We figured they were going to get a sled or game cart, but no, they decided to drive right in to the deer. This was a big chunk of state land that was clearly marked as walk in only. They even had to cut the wired shut gate to get in there . I called the warden and left a message with their vehicle info and offered to send some pictures and video his way but haven't heard back.

Two days later another couple hunters with Wisconsin plates parked right behind us and started following us in again. When we got to our glassing location we spotted a decent buck that my friend wanted to shoot. We were about 800 yards from him and quickly started to cut the distance. There was a big bowl we crossed to get to a little hill about 250 yards from the buck. When we were just about to start to peak over the hill I spotted the two Wisconsin hunters sitting where we had just left. There isn't a single tree in-between where we were and where they were. We were wearing orange vests and hats. I could see them plain as day and I made the assumption that they would see us as well. Just as we were cresting the hill rounds started wizzing past us. Some sounded like they were just feet away. We hit the dirt and started yelling at them as loud as we could. They kept firing. One round struck the ground about 6 feet from my friend. I was very close to returning fire. After 6-7 shots in our direction the shooting stopped and we decided to head over to them and confront them. They must have decided that we looked pretty pissed and quickly hauled but back to their truck.

Just saw this article. Doesn't surprise me one bit after what happened to us. I really don't have anything against non resident hunters coming to Montana as long as they follow the rules and behave ethically. In fact, for the most part I find that non resident big game hunters tend to be better behaved than a lot of locals.

It's not state specific, good and bad hunters everywhere. The article is more likely an odds game with that many hunters in the field at one time imo. More than likely deer during deer drives. I don't partake in those up there anymore.

I thought we would catch up to them too. We did have to gain about 300' in elevation up the side of the hill that had 3-6' snow drifts so that slowed us down a bunch. They still must have been practically running to get out of there before we could catch up.
Ha, I don't doubt it...if they were there the same time as you do what I do... I always take pics of all plates by my truck :)

Ha, I don't doubt it...if they were there the same time as you do what I do... I always take pics of all plates by my truck :)

I do that sometimes too. These guys pulled up and parked next to our truck after we had crossed the fence and walked a couple hundred yards. I only know they had Wisconsin plates since it was a very distinct looking truck and I had noticed their plates when we drove by them at a different spot the day before.

Had a similar experience with some Washington residents Monday. My husband was making a stalk on some deer, and these guys pull up a couple hundred yards down the road and get out. I drive down there to let them know there’s a person out there, and it’s a guy and his kid. Completely refused to acknowledge or look at me, so finally I yelled at them to be aware there’s another person out there near those deer. This guy was only like 30 yards from me. No response. The dad proceeds to walk out and rap off two rounds right over my husband’s head. Sheer stupidity.

Hunting Husband caught up with him out there and gave him a piece of his mind. Sent the plate to the local LE and they also tracked him down and had a chat.

I’m not normally big on the NR bashing, but this season I have seen more bad behavior by nonresidents than any year I can remember in Montana. Listened to two different groups of guys at restaurants this week talking about how they spent so much money on tags, they’ll drive where they want, hunt where they want, do what they want.

If this is how people are going to behave when they come, I’m much more receptive to the idea of paying $600 for my resident tags and cutting NR licenses.

Greenhorn has a buddy that dealt with a guy like them. Sounds like that's what they deserved. mtmuley

We need more wardens in the field.
No offense to those on here in that profession, but there is zero chance I would be a warden. We're asking so damn much of them. How often to police go into an interaction knowing the other party has a gun? How often are guys drinking while armed? What is the frequency of violations (I gotta think incredibly high compared to State Patrol interactions).

Sorry you had that kind of experience. You can be assured that there are that kind of "hunters" in every state. :(

As mentioned above, this is not state-specific. You could replace "WI" with any of the other 49 states and find supporting evidence/experience to support a question like
"What is wrong with XYZ Hunters?".........

Around here we can't even get people to apply to be wardens. Not to mention pass a background check, psych eval, and physical fitness. Our next cadet class will be half full at best

other problem is who wants to be a warden when it basically means you'll never have time to hunt ever again? maybe when you retire if your knees still work.

I know the warden who works the valley south of me and he gets out hunting a fair amount. He’s a dad who’s getting his daughter into it as well.

Also, one of my good friends and mentors is a former deputy chief of law-enforcement at FWP. I have asked him about this, and if being a warden really ruins your opinion of humanity - if it jades you. His response to me was that for all the bad there is more good, and seeing the good erases the bad. I don’t know if that’s true for all.

I think it can be a very challenging, but rewarding career. Like all law-enforcement, it takes a special type of person, and we need to pay them more IMO. It’s a job that demands reverence

Not to sidetrack at all. I’ve never experienced anything like what theat or hunting wife just described. I feel like it could really have the potential to ruin hunting for me if it did, and God forbid it occurred in front of one of my children as I was trying to foster their love of the activity.

Last edited:
Also, one of my good friends and mentors is a former deputy chief of law-enforcement at FWP. I have asked him about this, and if being a warden really ruins your opinion of humanity - if it jades you. His response to me was that for all the bad there is more good, and seeing the good erases the bed. I don’t know if that’s true for all.

i bet it is pretty dependent on the person.

girl i grew up with in my church randomly became a warden a few years ago, didn't even grow up hunting, but developed an interest as she was in this process of working for cpw temporarily and ultimately becoming a warden. was talking to her the other day via text and it sounds like she's already pretty jaded. but many wardnes i've talked to, especially some in wyoming, just seem to be high on life - they love interacting, they love being outside, they love that it's different every day, they love educating, and i think they love enforcing because they're doing good for a resource they're passionate about.

howver i'd still scared i'd rarely be able to ever set foot in the woods again with a 30-06 instead of a glock. maybe those fears are overblown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back