What is everyone's go to bullet for elk?

200Gr Nosler Accubonds in my .325 WSM, Handloaded. That will probably be changing to 200Gr Nosler Accubonds out of a .300WSM for fall 2015.

The discontinued 180gr Federal High Energy Nosler Partition load in .308win when it makes it to the elk woods.

140gr Accubonds in my and the wifes' 270wsm and 120 Barnes TTSX in my daughters 7mm-08. I did load up some 150 LRAB's that provided a good grouping and will be using those in the 270wsm in the future.

The 'empty' Federal 180 grain power shock, but still it resulted in a dead elk so can't complain.

Cheers
Richard

Richard appears the core may have continued on in a different path than the jacket. I believe this is where the value of a bonded core bullet shines or a partition style. I have heard of this on other occasions. Hornady uses the interlock style to prevent this also. I believe any bullet that only has the lead core swaged into the jacket is candidate for this separation of jacket and core to occur. I'm sure there will be other opinions about this but the bottom line is separation or not you got your Elk, Congratulations :eek:
Dan

I like both Accubonds and Barnes TTSX. I'd use Partitions too, but just haven't gotten around to it. Lots of other good bullets out there too.

As you can see by the answers, most everyone has gone to some type of bonded core bullet. Tipped or not tipped, but a bullet that helps prevent core separation. My favorite is still the Nosler Partition.

John i had 180 grain Nosler Partition's loaded for my 30-06 on my recent elk hunt, they didn't make it across the pond with me so i had to buy what was left on the Sportsman Warehouse shelves, it was 180 Grain Federal Power Shoks, when we dug the bullet out of the elk there was no lead left in the head, the copper had folded back petals but not one bit of lead left inside.
The bullet did not exit, am i correct in thinking they were designed for deer and not Elk?
Not that it mattered though as it resulted in a dead Elk!
Cheers
Richard

Richard I agree with the conclusion they are designed for deer and not elk. I'm sold on bonded or solid copper/gilding metal bullets for heavy boned animals. I watched a guy shoot a nice bull this year with a 6.5/284 using a 140 gr. Hornady SST. The shot was at 50 yards and the elk collapsed. The bull slide down a steep ridge for about 50 yards then regained his feet. After minimal blood loss and a 1 1/4 mile tracking job the bull never bedded or slowed. Obviously, I can't be sure where the hit was, but I'm fairly sure by the elk's reaction it was either a scapula hit or spine hit and the bullet did not penatrate the body cavity or break the spine.
That bullet you showed was from a dead elk, but if it does that upon encountering a rib, what would it do when it hit a heavy bone?

John i had 180 grain Nosler Partition's loaded for my 30-06 on my recent elk hunt, they didn't make it across the pond with me so i had to buy what was left on the Sportsman Warehouse shelves, it was 180 Grain Federal Power Shoks, when we dug the bullet out of the elk there was no lead left in the head, the copper had folded back petals but not one bit of lead left inside.
The bullet did not exit, am i correct in thinking they were designed for deer and not Elk?
Not that it mattered though as it resulted in a dead Elk!
Cheers
Richard

I'm not sure, since I can't seem to kill an elk :D Thus, losing the CSEH title...lol They shoot well out of my rifle, so I'm sticking with them. I grew up shooting Core Lokt's, and this bullet is a similar design, so since I fear change, I'm sticking with them.

I don't usually kill elk, but when I do, it is with a muzzle loader:D

Attachments

• dos equis.jpg
    dos equis.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 197
I am going to take a little different approach to answering your question. Just for information purposes I have taken elk with Sierra Gameking's, Hornady Interlock's, Nosler solid base, Nosler Partition's, original Barnes-X, Barnes TSX and Berger VLD's. Each bullet is designed to fly and react on impact in different ways at different impact velocities. I have two 7mm Rem mag's in my reloading room that I have been asked to work on and develop loads for. They will get 2 different bullets due to the fact that the owners of these rifles hunt in completely different areas and use different hunting techniques. One guy laces his boots up in the morning and hits the heavy timber - he's never killed an elk beyond 100 yds. The other guy lives on his binocs and spotting scope - he's very capable at some pretty impressive distances..
Have an idea of what you are trying to accomplish before choosing a bullet. You want a high chance of complete pass through, want the elk to obsorb 100% of the bullet energy, or something in between. What is your accuracy criteria for your rifle with a particular bullet? Keep in mind how fast and how much energy your bullet will have on impact - this will vary by distance upon impact.
There is no one best bullet for every application.
All bullets have been designed and built with the manufacturer having a purpose in mind - if that matches your needs - you got a winner.
All the above bullets mentioned have been used with success - all have their strong attributes and all have short comings.
I personally believe we as hunters should pay way more attention to the bullets we are using rather than the caliber of rifle. I ain't never seen an animal killed with a caliber been seen (let's just say lots) killed with a bullet.
Just because Hunter A has killed 2 box cars full of animals with Brand Z bullet doesn't sway my opinion on my needs one bit.

Thread tagged for interest ... Still have work to do to what will shot best in the new 7mm RM (Tikka T3 Hunter) that I am planning to use next year.

Thread tagged for interest ... Still have work to do to what will shot best in the new 7mm RM (Tikka T3 Hunter) that I am planning to use next year.

Seriously consider the 160 Partition or Accubond. A Premium bullet is worth the small added expense after investing the money in an elk hunt. I load the Partition to 3000 fps and it shoots 1/2 minute in both of my rifles. They perform with boring reliability.

I shot a cow in Montana this year with a 130 grain partition out of a 270 Win with impressive results. She took 4 steps and tipped over.

I hunt with partitions. I used to think they were too old school and that accubonds or Barnes looked better. But I shot some out of my weatherby and wow! Accurate as heck and they are deadly! I guess it depends on what your rifle likes but most a pretty good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back