Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wasted bull and poor choices story

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
Who knows where the landowner or game warden were or what their circumstances were. Letting it rot is horrible but we don’t know the other side of the story. It may not have been malicious.
Unless the hunter is outright lying, which I guess is possible, we do know there was a level of intent on the ranchers part.
1664994017746.png

Shoot First and Figure it out Later.

il_fullxfull.1471446303_srpv.jpg

“That morning I decided I wanted to kill a bull, and a I wanted to kill a good one,” he said. “So, I ended up working my ass off, hiking 16 miles across these parcels of public land.”

16 miles? And he had time for all this drama?

And he wrecked his truck driving too fast and texting

Then his shoe came untied and he broke the lace when he stepped on it.

Then he had an itchy a$$ that wouldn't go away only to discover that his undershorts had a longer skid mark than the one he left on the wet loose gravel road.

Then someone was mean to him so he posted a story.

Is this guy related to the Dirt Bike Kid AKA Elkshape?

It's settled - this guy's ready to be an influencer.

I 've never understood a landowners reluctance to allow retrieval of wounded game. mtmuley
I think it can generally be knocked down to a couple of motivations...1) The almighty $$$$$$ now associated with outfitted/trespass hunts and "preserving the value" of those 2) Anti hunting landowners and 3) The most offensive to me, large landowners wishing to discourage and make public land hunting as difficult and unpleasant as possible. Allowing an animal to be wasted and suffer based on a "principle" is pretty despicable....at LEAST call LO to come get it and put the meat to good use.

Side note .....don't you just love landowner that revel in being adjacent to public land for the access and increased value to their property/outfitting businesses and then get a case of the ass when they have to "deal with the public"? :rolleyes:

I'm gonna give a brief landowners perspective on this. Our family has a small place of mostly AG land, it's not a mecca but any means. We're very fortunate to have it. It also can produce some game which allows us a decent opportunity fill our freezers and create some memories with friends and family.

With this comes its challenges, EVERY year we catch one or two people poaching. It comes with lots of phone calls and friends you never knew you had, along with "the fence riders". Waiting for a brief opportunity to possibly capitalize on a situation. I've seen a lot of shit go down opening day.

All that being said, watching some of the "public hunters" hunting fence lines. It is absolutely outrageous what some people will do to try and get an elk. I've seen guys set up their kids for when they "cross", have had people shoot them before they jump the fence. Seen the elk come right back, some wounded mortally.

My point is I'm sure that landowner becomes frustrated with all the bullshit, all the stories, all the experiences. He's probably been burned more than once and with that he is bitter. Its his choice, i don't share his interest to let things rot and be wasted. We allow people to come in and get their elk of they can prove the situation actually occurred. Mr Iowa has his version and I'll bet his version is missing details too.

If your gonna hunt a fence it is what it is. YOU THE HUNTER, need to make the correct decision if the opportunity arises. If someone wants to start lobbing shots at elk and getting pissed when they cross the fence on to private. THE HUNTER is the one that created the issue in the first place.

Not saying I agree with the landowner but I'd be curious to hear his stories to.

Now if he's a douche like the Wilks then maybe I'll side with the hunter, even they let people retrieve downed game though.

I guess next time he should set up 250 yards off the property line. I have set up on property lines before as well and you can bet you sweet behind that if I hit the first time, I am following up with shots until the animal is down. If you have made the decision to hunt a property line (ethical issues aside) you better be willing to make an not so ideal shot to put that animal down if you botched the first shot. Not willing to do that, then you better get further from the lines or accept that the land on the other side of the fences isn't yours. My $.02

I get the, I need to retrieve an animal I shot that ran onto your property calls from time to time. I will always indicate that I may stop by to see how stuff went down. If the hunter starts to him & haw and make excuses why I don't need to show up it is time to call the warden.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back