Caribou Gear

Wasted bull and poor choices story

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
I saw his same story on one of the Wyoming Facebook elk hunting sites. Then by the end of the day saw the cowboy state daily picked it up. Reading the story and the Facebook posts he says he doubled lunged the bull and it crossed onto private and took 2 hours to die. It’s a sad story. He put him self in a position to have this happen. Is it the landowners fault? No. I could imagine how many times he gets the same question every year by a hunter that is waiting on the other side of the fence to shot their elk. Don’t put the landowner in that situation.

Whether the landowner wants to let the hunter on his property to retrieve the bull is his choice ......not finding a way to put the animal down (either by call F&W and getting permission himself or calling and LE agency to do it) makes him a pissy POS.

Can't for the life of me figure out why this guy has a hard time making friends in Wyo.

I ran into a WY res hunter this year, he was chasing deer, we BS'd for an hour while he loaded his horses. Said he had a very similar thing happen on the big ranch on the Dunoir. Took 2 days of begging and pleading to get the ranch manager to let him go retrieve his bull. By the time we did it was all wasted. Then G&F, who he'd also talked to to try to leverage the landowner, showed up and wrote him a ticket for wastage.

I wouldn't say WY residents are dicks, because I've met why too many exceptionally generous ones (@mulecreek included), but large lands owners in general are dicks, WY or otherwise.

I wouldn't say WY residents are dicks, because I've met why too many exceptionally generous ones (@mulecreek included), but large lands owners in general are dicks, WY or otherwise.
Cant say that I have dealt with enough large landowners to make a statement like yours either way. From this guys description of what took place I can only find one person responsible for this bull being wasted and its damn sure not the landowner.

Anyone hunting private/public boundaries should know this is a possible outcome. Doesn't seem like much of a story other than the hunter publicly whining about it and saying silly things about the rifle and terminal ballistics. I have a hard time seeing how an arrow with a small broadhead through both lungs is fatal in a minute but a 7mm bullet at over 3000 FPS impact velocity, even if it didn't expand, would take 2 hours.

Cant say that I have dealt with enough large landowners to make a statement like yours either way. From this guys description of what took place I can only find one person responsible for this bull being wasted and its damn sure not the landowner.
I grew being harassed by the adjacent large landowner to my grandparents place, and have since also been disappointed or outright blow away by several interactions in WA, MT, WY, and ID. The most common being, "get off my land." "I'm not on your land." "Get off anyway, I'm calling the sheriff." Or they pull out a hand gun and just say it again.

Maybe not the landowners fault, but we're currently on a site that has advertised the success of hunting along boundaries (albeit with more reservation and caution), formerly sponsored by a platform to allow that kind of hunting. Did this guy show enough restraint? Probably not. But let's say he shoots that elk 1 mile from the boundary, and that wounded elk makes it that far before expiring, does that change anything, or is that wasted elk meat just chalked up to the freedoms that come with private property laws? I don't blame the landowner for the outcome. But I damn sure question his ethics.

ive seen this happen on the musselshel before,,,

ive always wondered, were do the elk racks end up, do they lay there till the porcupines eat them?

its not a dies of natural causes thing, landowner, sportsmen ect know it died from a bullet arrow ect,
so is it legal to pick the horns up and keep them,,,,the landowner i mean,,,,,,

I grew being harassed by the adjacent large landowner to my grandparents place, and have since also been disappointed or outright blow away by several interactions in WA, MT, WY, and ID. The most common being, "get off my land." "I'm not on your land." "Get off anyway, I'm calling the sheriff." Or they pull out a hand gun and just say it again.

Maybe not the landowners fault, but we're currently on a site that has advertised the success of hunting along boundaries (albeit with more reservation and caution), formerly sponsored by a platform to allow that kind of hunting. Did this guy show enough restraint? Probably not. But let's say he shoots that elk 1 mile from the boundary, and that wounded elk makes it that far before expiring, does that change anything, or is that wasted elk meat just chalked up to the freedoms that come with private property laws? I don't blame the landowner for the outcome. But I damn sure question his ethics.
Not discounting your experiences at all, but I have never had a negative interaction with a landowner come close to what you have experienced. So obviously attitudes are shaped by experiences.

To answer your question, in my view the distance the animal travels before dropping dead does not change who is responsible for the waste of the bull. To me pulling the trigger or letting the string go is up to the individual and no one else. They are responsible to the consequences of that decision whether they are positive or negative. If I was a warden out issuing tickets, whether I issued a wanton waste citation would be entirely situational and not an absolute either way. Elk is 80 yds from private when the hunter pulls the trigger, most likely putting pen to paper. Elk is a mile from private, probably not. Either way the hunter is responsible for the waste.

I think its fair to question the landowners motive in this. I also think its fair to assume their experiences have shaped their attitude towards this as well. What makes large landowners dicks? Is there something about being a dick that makes them want to own large chunks of land at a larger rate than reasonable people? Or is it their experiences as large land owners that make them dicks? Hell if I know. I own 14 acres spread out over 3 parcels. My dickishness is an inherited trait.

Curious if most states are like this where a person cannot retrieve a wounded or downed animal on private land if shot on open land. I know here if you shoot an animal on open land, and it goes on to private one can retrieve it but cannot have a weapon with them on the posted land. I've known a few people that have had to do this and the landowner wouldn't allow them access to their game. The warden will come out and assist in the search and talk with the landowner and inform him of the law.

I 've never understood a landowners reluctance to allow retrieval of wounded game. mtmuley

Ever been a landowner that frequently had people hunting your property boundary?

Lots of different situations but the story doesn't get the landowner's point of view. If I were a landowner that had a rare occasion where someone clearly shot an animal off my land that died on my land, of course you want that animal to be retrieved and go to good use. If I am a landowner that is providing habitat/food and refuge for wildlife from nearby hunting pressure and frequently have people camped out on the property line, sometimes not being able to resist temptation to shoot onto my property even, i'm going to go out of my way to discourage people from hunting the property line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back