Wasted bull and poor choices story

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
Not saying that isn’t true but I’ve seen a very popular copper bullet do exactly what the hunter is claiming.
Pencil through both shoulders and lungs and still allow animal to live for 2 hours?

First thought was it is certainly possible it penciled through if it were a mono or berger, but at 28 nosler velocities would it really still live for 2 hours after?

If I were a landowner that had a rare occasion where someone clearly shot an animal off my land that died on my land, of course you want that animal to be retrieved and go to good use.
Yet clearly this guy didn't. He didn't care if the bull was shot on public, IMO he wants to control the public as well by making it impossible to retrieve game on his property. He's an ass, even if it's his previous encounters with the public that made him that way.

Pencil through both shoulders and lungs and still allow animal to live for 2 hours?

First thought was it is certainly possible it penciled through if it were a mono or berger, but at 28 nosler velocities would it really still live for 2 hours after?
I've seen crazier.

Ever been a landowner that frequently had people hunting your property boundary?

Lots of different situations but the story doesn't get the landowner's point of view. If I were a landowner that had a rare occasion where someone clearly shot an animal off my land that died on my land, of course you want that animal to be retrieved and go to good use. If I am a landowner that is providing habitat/food and refuge for wildlife from nearby hunting pressure and frequently have people camped out on the property line, sometimes not being able to resist temptation to shoot onto my property even, i'm going to go out of my way to discourage people from hunting the property line.
Guess I just have a different view of situations like this. mtmuley

Anyone else possibly thinking that this person isn't telling the whole truth?

I've had many experiences with landowners out west. Heck, just reread up on the nightmare my wife and I had happen to us last year involving a very similar scenario. Yes, we were very fortunate about how it ended up but I really like to think that the reason why it went the way it did was because of the approach we had. We were genuine with our inquiries, we were truthful about all of the exact events and logic behind what happened and it led to gaining access and a new friend along the way.

If it were indeed a case of this hunter just having to deal with a landowner that had zero respect for the wildlife and his interactions were nothing but genuine and the landowner just didn't care, why would he be publicly posting his story but then refusing to leave the name of the landowner out? What purpose is this serving to anyone? Something just doesn't add up here.

Until I stabbed it in the heart 45 min later. It dropped at the shot and was immobile due to the broken shoulders. Absolutely possible.

Gotcha. Getting into the weeds here but if both shoulders were broken is it possible it was far enough forward that the lungs didn't get much damage?

None of those things excuse the shittiness of the landowner.
except we don't exactly know the situation. Maybe the landowner allows trespass hunts and currently had 4 hunters on the property. Maybe its cheap like $50 a day and the hunter just refused to give him $50 and threw a fit. Idk, I'm just making shit up but just pointing out that I bet we don't have the full side of the story here.

Gotcha. Getting into the weeds here but if both shoulders were broken is it possible it was far enough forward that the lungs didn't get much damage?
There is pics on here if you search long enough. First shoulder had a pencil hole. Second shoulder was in 3 pieces making it where he couldn’t get up. Bullet didn’t open on contact and was delayed 12” or so. It took out the front lobes on the lungs but didn’t have enough damage to be immediately lethal. He would of died but not from blood loss.

I’ve also seen a 140g accubond go in thru the lungs, hit the opposite rib and ricochet 180 degrees and exit 2” from the entrance hole. That elk also died by the knife.

Bullets can and will do weird stuff.

Yet clearly this guy didn't. He didn't care if the bull was shot on public, IMO he wants to control the public as well by making it impossible to retrieve game on his property. He's an ass, even if it's his previous encounters with the public that made him that way.

We don't have his side of the story so we don't really know. What we do know is hunter sat watching a herd of elk on private waiting for them to cross onto public. A reasonable hunter with any hunting IQ would assume that these elk feel more safe on private and know they are likely to return if alerted once crossing onto public. I'm all for public hunting rights but I've also see the public run elk down in jeeps and flock shoot herds in this type of open terrain. No way if I'm a landowner out there would I be thrilled about hunters camping on the edge of my property and watching the elk there just waiting for them to step on the other side. You can call that "trying to control the public" but i call that trying to reduce the negative impact the public has on your land.

Anyone else get a laugh out of his claim he rolled his truck to preserve a rancher’s fence?

Yeah. I'm sure preserving his truck from the damage associated with running through a fence never crossed his conscience.

I've run into this guy before, while grouse hunting. He has a bit of an Eric Chesser vibe, not someone I'd hunt with personally.

We don't have his side of the story so we don't really know. What we do know is hunter sat watching a herd of elk on private waiting for them to cross onto public. A reasonable hunter with any hunting IQ would assume that these elk feel more safe on private and know they are likely to return if alerted once crossing onto public. I'm all for public hunting rights but I've also see the public run elk down in jeeps and flock shoot herds in this type of open terrain. No way if I'm a landowner out there would I be thrilled about hunters camping on the edge of my property and watching the elk there just waiting for them to step on the other side. You can call that "trying to control the public" but i call that trying to reduce the negative impact the public has on your land.
If the guy shot it on public and didn't run it over in a jeep what did he do wrong? Should he not hunt that public and just allow the private to control it?

My folks have no hunting signs on ever single tree along their lines, but have never denied access to retrieve something that died on their place. Nor would they even dream of doing it. Even if someone poached something on their land there's not a chance in hell they're going to knowing let it go to waste. I don't think you could be less conservation minded to knowingly allow it to just rot.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back