Wasted bull and poor choices story

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
My bad. It was 16 miles.

"That morning I decided I wanted to kill a bull, and a I wanted to kill a good one,” he said. “So, I ended up working my ass off, hiking 16 miles across these parcels of public land.”

He finally spotted a herd of about 85-90 elk on some private land. So, he set up nearby on the hope that the elk might cross over onto the public ground.

I was going to pile on about the 16 mile day as it does raise some BS flags but I don't think it has to mean what people are saying it means. I've walked what felt like all day from well before dark to well after hunting elk before and the longest was probably 13 or so miles. That said, I was probably never more than 4 miles from a road that I could have packed out to and most of the time much closer than that. So its probably reasonable to not assume the pack out is going to be the same distance as you walked thus far that given day.

There really that many places in SE Wyoming where a person could walk around 16 miles on public in sagebrush country, on Oct 1st and find a herd of elk like that?

Little disappointed this guy couldn’t hit that bull at least one more time while he covered that 200 yards with two bum shoulders and lungs. Should have #kepthammering

#IcallBS

"set up 200 yards from the fence" doesn't mean that's where he shot from and 120 yard shot could have been in the direction of the fence..

I helped a guy pack out his elk once walking it out on horse back. 3 miles to elk, 20 miles total. Long day. Why 20 miles? Because you can't pack game through the Park.

Which leads me to this question. What if you wound an animal outside the Park, but it dies inside the Park? Can't retrieve it, right. Wasted game, or bear food? Is the Park being unreasonable, or should a hunter be careful when hunting on a Park boundry?

You guys sure hate to see a Midwesterner work hard, get uncomfortable and get it done.
This guy obviously knows how to come out heavy.

I do have respect for those that come out and put in "strong work" and get it done.

I love the flatland COREAF crew. Treestand intreverts that think they're real hot shit until they see what an actual mountain looks like, hell they don't even have a ski hill over 400 ft.

My kids sled down bigger shit than that.

I bet that guy forgot to include a decimal in his 15 miles in sentence.

I do have respect for those that come out and put in "strong work" and get it done.

I love the flatland COREAF crew. Treestand intreverts that think they're real hot shit until they see what an actual mountain looks like, hell they don't even have a ski hill over 400 ft.

My kids sled down bigger shit than that.

I bet that guy forgot to include a decimal in his 15 miles in sentence.
You love me? 🙈

The 15 miles sounds like it was more like walking around a few public sections vs. 15 miles away from a road. But hard to tell when it seems like the article was written to drive more viewers/create content for this guy.

I've hunted a spot that borders a large chunk of private. It some work finally found the land owner made a phone call and let them know I would be in the area and asked what the procedure was for retrieval. I didn't plan on hunting against the fence, I just felt it was better safe than sorry to have a game plan should I arrow something and it make it over the boundary.
I did that for years and was always told the same thing. Call us. We will come up look at the blood trail and we'll help you get it out.
Same thing with a deer my ex father in law shot. It had a broken shoulder managed to get over the line and we made a phone call. Someone else ended up tagging that deer.
I think that with escouting if you are looking at a piece of public ground and there is the slightest chance an animal can make it to private we as Hunter's have to attempt to make an attempt to contact that property owner and let them know where we will be and how to retrieve game should the animal make it over a property line.
I've offered to fix fence, I've offered to help with branding, I've simply knocked on a door been offered a cup of coffee had a sit down and been granted access to private.
Ive been fortunate I know, its amazing what going the extra mile will do and how gates you can open.

I helped a guy pack out his elk once walking it out on horse back. 3 miles to elk, 20 miles total. Long day. Why 20 miles? Because you can't pack game through the Park.
Where does it say that? I contacted a different Park and they had no issues with it as long as it was legally harvested and tagged.

The 15 miles sounds like it was more like walking around a few public sections vs. 15 miles away from a road. But hard to tell when it seems like the article was written to drive more viewers/create content for this guy.
Well unless the guy was walking in a big circle, it was still going to be 16 miles back to his rig. I think story is fabricated and he is trying to tap into the all landowners are rotten SOB's sentiment.

Where does it say that? I contacted a different Park and they had no issues with it as long as it was legally harvested and tagged.
Rocky Mountain National Park has restrictions to a designated path on the north end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back