Caribou Gear Tarp

Waiting payed off

----

I made a vow at the beginning of the season that I would only hunt elk for the first four weekends of the season, and save my deer tag for these last ten days or so of the season.

Elk hunting's been frustrating to say the least. All week the snow's been piling up, and the deer above my house have been staring to get pretty aggressive chasing does. To say I was anxious to bust out the deer tag and hunt in my old stomping grounds is a huge understatement.

It worked out perfect with my dad heading out and setting up camp earlier in the week. We set off Saturday morning right at first light, and were in deer right away.

About nine o'clock we were sitting at the bottom of a draw glassing a herd of cow elk, when what looked like a great buck came charging down the ridge right as, chasing a doe. The doe ran right by us, and the buck didn't stop until he was 40 yards, and gave me a good clear shot through the brush.

How he was laying when we walked up on him
018Copy.jpg

Yeah, he'll do
039Copy.jpg

025Copy.jpg

035Copy-1.jpg

Pretty cool to be able to kill this buck with my dad, in the exact drainage he taught me how to hunt deer in 12 years ago.

I'm sure there's something that's more fun than hunting big whitetail on public land, in the rut, with a foot of snow on the ground, I just know I haven't found it.

Nice work there Randy...thats a great buck.

Magic time to chase whitetail in Montana is always right around the 19th-20th of November. I've shot a bunch of my best bucks on those two days.

Congrats!

WOW! Fantastic buck, Randy! WHat a bruiser!

Great to experience it with your dad and the memories of that drainage - Good stuff right there!

Grats again!

Love the first pic, a little teaser. That next pic my eyes about jumped out of my head. Excellent buck with your dad to boot, great job. Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back