Caribou Gear

Vibing a bear tag. Is it the right thing to do? Poll

Is it ok to hunt just a bear tag in an Otc elk unit in Colorado this fall?

• Yes.

Votes: 84 98.8%
  • No. You’re not core.

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

DouglasR

So with all the talk about crowding and tag sale increases and what not I was just wondering how you folks feel about someone like me going out to hunt just a bear tag in an otc elk unit in Colorado this fall?
is it disrespectful to the deer and elk hunters in the woods?

The chances of me actually killing a bear are very low but...
I can kill deer in Illinois.
we’re talking about a bear here.

Reactions: JCS
Don't see it as any different than someone with a deer tag hunting during elk season or vice versa. Go for it. Sometimes you can be helpful to each other by exchanging game location info.

I have never understood why anyone would waste time/money on fall bear hunting other than locally. Spring bear is a blast but fall bear hunting not over bait sucks! I would rather pick up a elk/deer/lope tag and keep fall bear tags as opportunity or second tags. If you ever do it atleast focus on area you plan on hunting for deer/elk in future so you get something of it.

Last edited:
Don't see it as any different than someone with a deer tag hunting during elk season or vice versa. Go for it. Sometimes you can be helpful to each other by exchanging game location info.
I agree. I was in an OTC unit a couple of years ago and everybody was hush hush about spots until they saw my orange and figured out I only had a bear tag. I ended up with the location of two elk carcasses and a couple of other spots to check out.

you're talking about september bear hunting in otc archery units?

or fall bear hunting during otc rifle elk and deer hunts?

if the latter, i think you have to have a deer or elk tag to be able to bear hunt

double check that for me please and thank you

So with all the talk about crowding and tag sale increases and what not I was just wondering how you folks feel about someone like me going out to hunt just a bear tag in an otc elk unit in Colorado this fall?

They don't have bear in Illinois? Just cubs I guess huh

And no more disrespectful than the hikers, bikers and everything elsers. Probably less since you'll be trying to be quiet. Just the same as any of the deer or elk hunters, you got the tag you could make the argument they might be the disrespectful ones haha I sure wouldn't mind running into you anymore than any other hunter, maybe less since you're not really competition

Last edited:

I'd guess it beats sitting around the house watching other people's old hunts on YouTube!

Back