Vibing a bear tag. Is it the right thing to do? Poll

Is it ok to hunt just a bear tag in an Otc elk unit in Colorado this fall?

• Yes.

Votes: 84 98.8%
  • No. You’re not core.

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
So with all the talk about crowding and tag sale increases and what not I was just wondering how you folks feel about someone like me going out to hunt just a bear tag in an otc elk unit in Colorado this fall?
is it disrespectful to the deer and elk hunters in the woods?

The chances of me actually killing a bear are very low but...
I can kill deer in Illinois.
we’re talking about a bear here.
Just go man. I hunted the sept rifle bear tag in a unit in NW Colorado last labor day weekend in an OTC archery elk unit and am hoping to make it back again this sept, but will have to see how the schedule shakes out. At least for that unit, the fall bear concentrations and archery elk hunters were in very different locations. Although I did see a small bull one evening. Also saw bears every evening, just couldn't get a legal bear within comfortable shooting range for me.

If anyone gets pissed tell em you already filled your deer/elk tag! Looking for grouse my dogs blew by an elk hunter last year that was obviously annoyed but when I told him I filled my elk tag the previous weekend the conversation got a lot friendlier.

They sell the tags just for this reason. Explore a little and find a spot for your next elk hunt. After all, they don't close the grouse season during the OTC hunts.

They sell the tags just for this reason. Explore a little and find a spot for your next elk hunt. After all, they don't close the grouse season during the OTC hunts.
Also it's CO so there is a concurrent rifle mule deer season, rifle goat and sheep season, obviously rifle bear, muzzy deer/elk/bear, and then small game, both upland and marmot ;)

There are a pile of folks walking around the woods with guns during archery season.

dudes, thanks for all the feedback.
This is the tag for the sep 2-30 season so it will overlap with otc archery elk and deer.
I picked the tag up as an “opportunity tag” as instructed by my favorite social media influencers but I didn’t end up drawing the deer tag I applied for so 🤷‍♂️
I hear I could prob pick up a deer tag from the leftover list whenever those go on sale, but the more I think about it hunting a bear for less than $200 sounds like a pretty sweet ass deal and honestly for my lifestyle I’d be way more stoked to get a bear than I would be a deer.

as far as picking up an elk tag I’ll prob hunt the bear with a rifle and I’d like to hone my skills as an outdoorsman a bit more before going after an elk.
those things smell horrible and cutting one up on a hot September day doesn’t sound like an enjoyable experience.

A bear’s like 60lbs of meat tops?
I can probably hide my camp under some sticks and hopefully one trip it out of wherever I’m at.
I might bring my bow with me and leave it in the car just in case something weird happens.

I’ve got an idea of some areas I want to check out in the unit.
I guess my current plan is to hope it rains out there this summer.
maybe call the ranger station or something and see if there’s any big crops of particular berries or nuts in the area the bears are feeding on, kinda stick to the fall concentration area from the co hunting atlas and maybe try to find open hillsides next to those areas that I can glass or vantage points that allow me to glass directly down into the food source. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry if I’m cramping any core guys style, but if this just turns into a cool camping trip it’s still like 1,000,000x better than work.

I think I'll be out there doing the same this September. I'll watch for a decent ML deer or elk tag on the reissue list, but will probably just focus on bear.

I've seen bear while deer hunting, in areas that really weren't that attractive to bears in September. I think if a fella spent serious time hunting acorns, berries, and nearby water, the odds of having an opportunity at a bear would be pretty good.

Also it's CO so there is a concurrent rifle mule deer season, rifle goat and sheep season, obviously rifle bear, muzzy deer/elk/bear, and then small game, both upland and marmot ;)

There are a pile of folks walking around the woods with guns during archery season.
Forget bear for a minute….is marmot hunting a thing? You suddenly have my undivided attention.

but yea go hunt. Why is elk or deer more important than bear? Damn bears smoked my garbage dumpster this morning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back