Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Utah applications...WTF...

1_pointer

Just looking through the 2009 UT regs and noticed a bit of a surprise that I hadn't even heard was in the works. In 2009 RESIDENTS can apply for ONE limited entry and ONE once in a lifetime species. On the other hand, NON-RESIDENTS can apply for ALL limited entry and ALL once in a lifetime species. I guess that's the carrot for having to buy the hunting license. :BLEEP:|oo

Good luck to all non-residents... :rolleyes:

Come on Pointer, you know that in UT, wildlife is a spoil of victory to be sold and allocated to the highest bidder and unfortunately for UT residents, out of staters seem to be the source of the biggest pot of money.

As a non-resident, I would expect nothing less of UT. In fact, I would demand such, but now that they have bowed to the pressure, I no longer have to demand it. ;)

Doesn't this fall right in line with the 5 OIL tags at the Expo, whereby only NRs can apply for them?

Go figure. Not sure what is in the water down there, but I hope it is not contagious. If that happened in most states, there would be a march on the Capitol.

Can you actually apply for all species or do you pick one to apply for then just get points for the rest?

Buzz, the way I read it, we can apply for all, but once we draw a tag the rest of our apps get points only. That way we can still only draw one tag...

The way Justin described it is right. The drawing order is listed in the regs, and it is generally from low quality to high, with the OIL tags being last. If you draw anything that precludes you from having another tag that you have applied for, those applications get points only.

For a non-resident that is not near max points, it wouldn't be a bad idea to apply for tags for everything. What would be the odds of drawing two premium tags if it were allowed?

If you think about it, the guys who are really getting the old screwgy here are the non-res max point holders who are vying for a single license (like a Henries deer tag). Since there is only one tag available, it goes in the random draw. The random draw now may be flooded with 0 point applicants, which would really reduce the odds.

BTW, I thought UT limited non-resident tag numbers (10%?). So it doesn't seem like this would affect resident odds. Is that not the case?

Yea, if you are just interested in building points this is a good thing for NR's and doesn't affect the residents, but if you are wanting to actually draw a tag, it really decreases the odds, instead of having all of the NR's divided among species, now they are applying for all species, just another way for Utah to make more $$$$ off of the NR's.|oo|oo|oo

That is fugged up...what will they dream up next.
Is there a bonus point only hunt code? I just don't know where to even apply for some of the different animals and would rather just get the point if possible.

I can tell you whats next...fronting all money for all species.

Yep, after folks have been in the point game a few years. Then you can front the money or lose your points that you bought.:D

That is fugged up...what will they dream up next.
Is there a bonus point only hunt code? I just don't know where to even apply for some of the different animals and would rather just get the point if possible.

Even if you’re not going to hunt in 2009, you can still receive a bonus point by applying for one.
To apply for a bonus point, select the appropriate bonus point code on your application and pay
the $10 handling fee. The 2009 bonus point application period is Jan. 22–Mar. 9, 2009.

Because you apply for bonus points by species instead of by hunt, you may apply for a limited-entry,
premium limited-entry, management buck deer or once-in-a-lifetime bonus point, even if the specific
hunt the bonus point is being awarded for isn’t being offered in 2009.

To apply for a bonus point, you must be eligible for the hunt the bonus point will be awarded for. For
example, if you’re eligible for a limited-entry buck deer permit, you’re eligible to apply for a limited-entry
buck deer bonus point.

[FONT=Myriad Pro Cond,Myriad Pro Cond][FONT=Myriad Pro Cond,Myriad Pro Cond]Residents[/FONT][/FONT]
If you’re a resident, you may apply for one of the following:

One limited-entry permit and one once-in-a-lifetime permit
One limited-entry permit and one once-in-a-lifetime bonus point
One limited-entry bonus point and one once-in-a-lifetime permit
One limited-entry bonus point and one once-in-a-lifetime bonus point

You may NOT apply for the following:

A permit and a bonus point for the same species
More than one limited-entry bonus point or more than one premium limited-entry bonus point
More than one once-in-a-lifetime bonus point

[FONT=Myriad Pro Cond,Myriad Pro Cond][FONT=Myriad Pro Cond,Myriad Pro Cond]Nonresidents[/FONT][/FONT]
If you’re a nonresident, you may apply for permits or bonus points for all limited-entry and once-in-a-lifetime
species. However, you may not apply for a permit and a bonus point for the same species.

Please remember that you may not draw more than one limited-entry or once-in-a-lifetime permit each year.

Becasue I"m slow... Please exlain. In the past, I could only put in for Elk LE and nothing else. Then I drew Elk so I', gonig after Deer Points. Are you saying that this year I can put in for Deer, Antelope, Elk, Etc ? (Although after you draw there is a 3-4 year wait anyway right ?) Or does that not apply for a Point now ?

Where is IDB when I need him.... ;)

No, it doesn't really hurt resident's odds as the number of non-resident tags are capped. But, being one who doesn't intend on being a resident forever, I'm gonna be WAY behind on any point total when I move... Besides, what other states allows more opportunity for draws/points for NR than R?

they basicly made the bonus point less effective, but cost more. what a crock
I guess I will have to do some research on where to apply for lope and deer and sheep this year.

Becasue I"m slow... Please exlain. In the past, I could only put in for Elk LE and nothing else. Then I drew Elk so I', gonig after Deer Points. Are you saying that this year I can put in for Deer, Antelope, Elk, Etc ? (Although after you draw there is a 3-4 year wait anyway right ?) Or does that not apply for a Point now ?

Where is IDB when I need him.... ;)
You can put in for Deer, Antelope and all the OIL tags. You're still on the waiting period for elk which is 5 years. so you still have 3 more years before you can gain any points for elk. Why do you care you draw these tags with only a few points anyway. :rolleyes:

Back