Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Non-Resident Hunting: A Canadian Perspective

glennw89

With the ongoing discussion around non-resident hunting and the multitude of recent and proposed changes in the American West, I wanted to provide a perspective that may not frequently be seen or heard - the Canadian one.

The hunting opportunities in Canada are the stuff of legend - the biggest of big game roaming vast wilderness areas. There's one large problem - it's next to impossible for most Canadian hunters to access these hunting opportunities if they happen to fall outside their province or territory of residence. Non-resident hunting opportunities as they exist in the American West do not exist in Canada.

I live in Ontario in central Canada. I can hunt whitetail deer on an OTC license and apply for moose through a preference point system (requires between 10 - 20 points plus to get a bull firearms tag in the more accessible parts of the province) and elk (random draw, very low odds). I was fortunate to draw a bull moose rifle tag in 2019 (when the system was random draw before points were implemented in 2021) -but that is the only moose or elk tag I have drawn.

The legendary mountain hunting of Canada is found in the Canadian western provinces/territories (Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon Territory, Northwest Territories). I can't hunt any of these places without either:

a) paying for an outfitted hunt. Spending the thousands to tens of thousands of dollars necessary on these hunts simply isn't feasible for me.

b) in some very specific cases you can be "hunter hosted" by a resident (often needs to be direct family) for some species in some areas (typically less demand species in more remote areas). There is a special application process to undergo to do this. I was very fortunate to hunt mountain goat in northern British Columbia in 2019 as a result of this system - but it is inaccessible for most and was likely a "once in a lifetime" opportunity for me.

Even less exotic options like Newfoundland moose are off the table without paying for an outfitter.

Although the current dynamic around non-resident hunting in the American West is a boiling pot of controversy, I'm very envious of the opportunities available to non-residents across the American West.

I hope that states can balance protecting the interests of their resident hunters while still offering realistic access to non-resident hunters. I realize this is a delicate dance - but if done well I think it benefits wildlife, resident hunters, and non-resident hunters.

It's why in fact I am a points holder in multiple American western states myself. Ironically, my most realistic opportunity to hunt mule deer and elk are not even in my own country!

Last edited:
Canada provinces all seem to be separate countries for their medical care plans and hunting access by outsiders.

In what American states do you feel can draw a tag similar to what you can get with an outfitter in another Canadian province? Have you figured up the cost, door to door, of the American hunt including the costs as the years go by waiting to draw? Some units in America benefit greatly from an outfitter either due to remoteness of the game being sought or the land holding the game mostly being privately owned.

I looked at Canada and may do a guided moose hunt. Alberta seems to offer a relatively fair price for the size of the antlers along with likelihood of harvest. I have not really looked at hunting in Canada since the Pandemic began since borders closed for a while then which made planning problematic. I work with a woman from New Foundling that says they trip over moose going to the grocery store.

Beyond the cost of guided hunts, I simply prefer going myself unguided whenever possible.

I’m travelling thousands of kilometers to either the American West or Canadian West so the travel costs are pretty much a wash.

Annual draw costs in the US do add up, but overall are still quite a savings over an outfitted Canadian hunt - which are often charged in US dollars anyway.

Newfoundland is loaded with moose. I’ve backpacked through Gros Morne National Park (west side of the island) and the moose density was very high. Your co-worker is not wrong. Many Newfoundlanders do not like driving after dark given the risk of hitting a moose.

Canada provinces all seem to be separate countries for their medical care plans and hunting access by outsiders.

In what American states do you feel can draw a tag similar to what you can get with an outfitter in another Canadian province? Have you figured up the cost, door to door, of the American hunt including the costs as the years go by waiting to draw? Some units in America benefit greatly from an outfitter either due to remoteness of the game being sought or the land holding the game mostly being privately owned.

I looked at Canada and may do a guided moose hunt. Alberta seems to offer a relatively fair price for the size of the antlers along with likelihood of harvest. I have not really looked at hunting in Canada since the Pandemic began since borders closed for a while then which made planning problematic. I work with a woman from New Foundling that says they trip over moose going to the grocery store.

With the ongoing discussion around non-resident hunting and the multitude of recent and proposed changes in the American West, I wanted to provide a perspective that may not frequently be seen or heard - the Canadian one.

The hunting opportunities in Canada are the stuff of legend - the biggest of big game roaming vast wilderness areas. There's one large problem - it's next to impossible for most Canadian hunters to access these hunting opportunities if they happen to fall outside their province or territory of residence. Non-resident hunting opportunities as they exist in the American West do not exist in Canada.

I live in Ontario in central Canada. I can hunt whitetail deer on an OTC license and apply for moose through a preference point system (requires between 10 - 20 points plus to get a bull firearms tag in the more accessible parts of the province) and elk (random draw, very low odds). I was fortunate to draw a bull moose rifle tag in 2019 (when the system was random draw before points were implemented in 2021) -but that is the only moose or elk tag I have drawn.

The legendary mountain hunting of Canada is found in the Canadian western provinces/territories (Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon Territory, Northwest Territories). I can't hunt any of these places without either:

a) paying for an outfitted hunt. Spending the thousands to tens of thousands of dollars necessary on these hunts simply isn't feasible for me.

b) in some very specific cases you can be "hunter hosted" by a resident (often needs to be direct family) for some species in some areas (typically less demand species in more remote areas). There is a special application process to undergo to do this. I was very fortunate to hunt mountain goat in northern British Columbia in 2019 as a result of this system - but it is inaccessible for most and was likely a "once in a lifetime" opportunity for me.

Even less exotic options like Newfoundland moose are off the table without paying for an outfitter.

Although the current dynamic around non-resident hunting in the American West is a boiling pot of controversy, I'm very envious of the opportunities available to non-residents across the American West.

I hope that states can balance protecting the interests of their resident hunters while still offering realistic access to non-resident hunters. I realize this is a delicate dance - but if done well I think it benefits wildlife, resident hunters, and non-resident hunters.

It's why in fact I am a points holder in multiple American western states myself. Ironically, my most realistic opportunity to hunt mule deer and elk are not even in my own country!
I live in the US - and am a Colorado resident. Elk hunting every year with one or even two tags a year is pretty excellent! My wife and I have discussed the possibility of moving to British Columbia. Can you speak to what the big game hunting opportunities look like there if one were a permeant resident (but not a citizen)? Is it possible to diy hunt elk or other big game every year or are the draw odds too low/no otc tags for residents?

I live in the US - and am a Colorado resident. Elk hunting every year with one or even two tags a year is pretty excellent! My wife and I have discussed the possibility of moving to British Columbia. Can you speak to what the big game hunting opportunities look like there if one were a permeant resident (but not a citizen)? Is it possible to diy hunt elk or other big game every year or are the draw odds too low/no otc tags for residents?
So I had a buddy that was thinking the same thing as you (I don’t believe he actually had any intention to move but more so liked the idea of it for hunting perks) much the less for what it’s worth he told me that he would have to live up there five years before being considered a resident and able to hunt and I’m sure there are more things that you have to do in order to be considered a resident but once you are a resident you get to hunt so much game, sheep, moose, mtn goat, etc.

... I was fortunate to draw a bull moose rifle tag in 2019 (when the system was random draw before points were implemented in 2021) -but that is the only moose or elk tag I have drawn.
Wow, in 2021, Ontario Canada went from random to a true preference point system for resident moose.

They looked at the 40 year failed PP experiment in Colorado and thought that's a good idea?

Thanks for sharing.

So I had a buddy that was thinking the same thing as you (I don’t believe he actually had any intention to move but more so liked the idea of it for hunting perks) much the less for what it’s worth he told me that he would have to live up there five years before being considered a resident and able to hunt and I’m sure there are more things that you have to do in order to be considered a resident but once you are a resident you get to hunt so much game, sheep, moose, mtn goat, etc.
I'm not sure what the exact residency period is in British Columbia - but I suspect it is at least a full year.

British Columbia has the best mountain hunting in the world arguably. But there is a firestorm of politics around First Nations, extraction industries, etc. that have reduced access for resident hunting and could have massive impacts in the future as well - topic for another thread in itself.

Wow, in 2021, Ontario Canada went from random to a true preference point system for resident moose.

They looked at the 40 year failed PP experiment in Colorado and thought that's a good idea?

Thanks for sharing.

Believe it or not, it is an improvement overall to the system we had before. Basically people were stacking the previous system with huge groups (we're talking 15 plus hunters on each tag) as the system was heavily slanted toward rewarding that.

Also, most people don't realize how vast Ontario is. Driving from the eastern border of the province to the western border of the province is 2 000 km. This is roughly the same as driving from northern Montana south to southern New Mexico!

Probably 99% of the province's population lives in the southeastern corner. It is hard to draw moose tags in this area, but those willing to make the long drive to Northern Ontario can draw bull tags every year to every couple years pretty easily.

I'm not sure what the exact residency period is in British Columbia - but I suspect it is at least a full year.

British Columbia has the best mountain hunting in the world arguably. But there is a firestorm of politics around First Nations, extraction industries, etc. that have reduced access for resident hunting and could have massive impacts in the future as well - topic for another thread in itself.
Interesting - yeah from what I could tell with fairly limited time looking it seemed like it would take a least one full year to get the residency status for the purposes of hunting. That seems totally reasonable and is probably similar for western states residency. 5 years sounds like a lot! It's feeling like hunting opportunity in CO will also reduce into the longer term future both with increasing western hunting interest and with the new introduction of wolves. My wife and I have talked about moving for years, but I just can't get my head around leaving mountains behind and British Columbia is one of the first places we are both interested in.

How does it work for animals that don’t need tags (I’m thinking upland, waterfowl, coyote, rabbit, etc)? Are those open nationwide in Canada?

How does it work for animals that don’t need tags (I’m thinking upland, waterfowl, coyote, rabbit, etc)? Are those open nationwide in Canada?
I’m pretty much solely a big game hunter so not 100% sure - but I believe Canadian residents can simply buy a small game license for most of the species listed. Not sure about if one was not a Canadian citizen though. Each province/territory does have their own rules.

I’m pretty much solely a big game hunter so not 100% sure - but I believe Canadian residents can simply buy a small game license for most of the species listed. Not sure about if one was not a Canadian citizen though. Each province/territory does have their own rules.
Gotcha. My thoughts were, since big game hunting out of province is so difficult, hunting these other animals is a way you could still hunt all over the country.

If I lived in Canada, I'd be more worried about eventually not even being able to own a firearm you can hunt with.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back