Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado penalty box?

Ckleeves

Does Colorado actually enforce the 5 year waiting period on Sheep and Goat apps after harvest?

Just so we are clear I have never broke the rules on this but it appears the system doesn’t have anything to stop somebody from doing it. My wife is in timeout right now and yet the Mountain Goat app tab doesn’t say “There are no applications or licenses available for (insert species)” like it would if someone tries to apply for Desert and Rocky’s the same year. I can take it all the way to entering hunt codes on that page. I’m Obviously not going any further then that so maybe it stops you before checkout but I find the whole deal weird.

I’m in the penalty box in Utah for LE elk and it’s clear as can be there. Gives me the year and I can start applying again and says right on the tab “ineligible” if I were to try to apply.

I just find the whole thing weird and wonder how many people are unknowingly (or knowingly) jumping right back in.

It will let you get to the point where you submit your application and then will reject it at that point.

I tried to see if I could apply for pp only while in the penalty box a couple years ago.

Does Colorado actually enforce the 5 year waiting period on Sheep and Goat apps after harvest?

Just so we are clear I have never broke the rules on this but it appears the system doesn’t have anything to stop somebody from doing it. My wife is in timeout right now and yet the Mountain Goat app tab doesn’t say “There are no applications or licenses available for (insert species)” like it would if someone tries to apply for Desert and Rocky’s the same year. I can take it all the way to entering hunt codes on that page. I’m Obviously not going any further then that so maybe it stops you before checkout but I find the whole deal weird.

I’m in the penalty box in Utah for LE elk and it’s clear as can be there. Gives me the year and I can start applying again and says right on the tab “ineligible” if I were to try to apply.

I just find the whole thing weird and wonder how many people are unknowingly (or knowingly) jumping right back in.
It is my understanding that you can apply immediately for Desert Bighorn if you harvested Rocky the prior year. You cannot apply for the Rocky or a goat until the 5 year wait is over. Once you have harvested a Desert you can no longer apply for a Desert.

It is my understanding that you can apply immediately for Desert Bighorn if you harvested Rocky the prior year. You cannot apply for the Rocky or a goat until the 5 year wait is over. Once you have harvested a Desert you can no longer apply for a Desert.
Correct. But if you harvest a Rocky there seems to be nothing from stopping you from applying again for Rocky’s again the following year. There might be, I’m not sure I just find it weird that the tab isn’t blacked out while on your waiting period.

It will let you get to the point where you submit your application and then will reject it at that point.

I tried to see if I could apply for pp only while in the penalty box a couple years ago.
Gotcha good to know. Glad to see there is a hard stop built in.

Hmm...asking for a friend? :unsure:

After a rocky mountain bighorn ram harvest you can apply for desert bighorn or a rocky mountain bighorn ewe. If you apply for a ewe and are not successful you will not be awarded a preference point. The same thing is not true for mt goat if you harvest any mt goat you are out for 5 years. I'm not sure how it is enforced electronically but there might be an issue when you drew and harvested again.

Sandbrew

I have been out of the box for RBH for a few years now, tried for Desert, but feel I wasted time, I would have been back in the draw this year. Just went back into he RBH draw to get a point. All this talk about draw changes has me a bit worried it may be for not if there are some changes on the horizon. Oh well.

I have been out of the box for RBH for a few years now, tried for Desert, but feel I wasted time, I would have been back in the draw this year. Just went back into he RBH draw to get a point. All this talk about draw changes has me a bit worried it may be for not if there are some changes on the horizon. Oh well.
If you already drew a RBH ram tag, you already won, regardless of any changes that Colorado may or may not do in the future.

I would like to find out how it feels to be in the penalty box.

And the CO penalty box is basically 8 years since, except for some ewe & nanny tags, it takes three preference points to even have a chance of drawing. I'm in year 3 of 8 for sheep.

I will tell you my experience. I drew a bighorn sheep tag in 2018 and was locked out for 5 years. I applied for a desert bighorn sheep tag this year in 2024 and was successful so I feel like I won the lottery.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back