Under the Radar items in your pack

Schaaf

Id be interested in hearing about any items you guys have found over the years that make life easier out of the pack. The title says it all, has to be items you might not necessarily read about on a gear purge but more along the lines of something you've found helps you out.

A couple of things I always bring...

A Luci outdoor lantern, leave at camp and gives me 10 hours of light if needed. Only weighs a couple ounces.

A container of whiskey. When the question is should I bring whiskey, the answer is always yes, preferably Blanton's.

many years ago, I found a pop tart carrying case at the grocery story. The outside is even shaped to look like a pop tart. It keeps my afternoon snacks from turning into crumbled mush in my pack.

square of closed cell foam (cut up sleeping pad) just big enough to sit on. Nice to have something warm and dry to sit on wherever I am. Refillable squeeze tubes for peanut butter etc. Makes messy food not messy.

Always carry zip ties and a little bahco laplander folding saw. Whiskey tends to make it on longer trips.

Sorry, not hunting with anyone packing chloroform and vaseline.

Ahhhh, re read the post, sarcasm! I got it now. Sorry.

Last edited:
A SMALL flask... just a nudge, at the right time, has got my a$$ up and moving forward when I was dragging up a hill to .....there & ready to say No.

Bright yellow hand towel. Silhouettes flashlight and weapon in tent for easy retrieval. I'll use it at the kill sight to put knives, steel and extra poly gloves on. Keeps dirt off and organized.

square of closed cell foam (cut up sleeping pad) just big enough to sit on. Nice to have something warm and dry to sit on wherever I am.

This. Great addition to a pack and doesn't weigh much at all. Other things - powdered bouillon. Better than gatorade or propel for replenishing electrolytes. Just heat water and sip.

A little squeeze bottle of nasal spray. My sinuses dry out something awful in the arid environment.

I also bring a sitting pad - I may chop it a bit to save space but I'd never leave home without since spotting is my favorite part of hunting. I also bring enough gloves to give to helpers if we're fortunate enough to have an animal down.

A friend's special something is Twizzlers. He never hunts without them.

Crooked horn Bow hook on the strap. The best $5 bucks I have spent. Tenacious tape. A big safety pin . A needle and strong thread. Blendtape. Black tape. A suture needle and thread in a sealed envelope .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back