Truck camping stove

January of 2000 the area I grew up in got hit with and unusually large snowstorm that lasted several days and knocked our power out. We did all the cooking till the power came back on out on the front porch on the Coleman stove. We had to keep the food outside as well since the refrigerator didn’t have any power and it was cold enough to keep it from spoiled. A bear came to investigate the smells of food during the night and left his tracks all around the house. I was only 9 years on at that time but I remember well that Coleman stove getting us through that week. I imagine @tarheel remembers exactly which winter storm I’m referring to.

I've got two of those little Coleman butane stoves I'm pretty happy with. They pack in a small case, real hot flame, spark ignition, and just very handy.
The fuel cylinders look like a can of spray paint. Gordons Foods sells the replacement cylinders, I get 3-4 hours of cooking each.
Plus, these stoves are cheap $20-$25 apiece.

I know this isn’t exactly what the OP was asking, but as far as camping grills go this is the best one I’ve used. Like others, I use a Coleman stove when I need a stove at base camp.
8D023B88-B879-46AA-8816-A3AAD695011E.png

I use the Bruton version of the Coleman stove. I also bring an iron skillet and cook steaks, etc in it. Hot food or coffee sure can make you feel better.

I also have coleman roadtrip stove, totally satisfied with this device. In general Coleman is a well-known brand when it comes to roadtrip grills. They are are great to use, they are portable and can cook food fast. I have coleman 9940 roadtrip party grill. This stove looks beautiful, it has incredible heating power and it is easy to assemble. The device has excellent features such as an improved burner control system that will make your food ready to serve in no time. I bought this device on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Hurricane-Emergency-Collapsible-Batteries/dp/B00NPLSZF8/ I always buy all my stuff for camping like lanterns, tents, sleeping bags on amazon cause I like their quick delivery.

Last edited:
Now you have me trying to remember when and where I got my Coleman 2 burner...

It has been at least 20 years....

One time I spilled pancake batter in one of the burners and I thought I'd killed it. NOPE, unscrewed the screw in the middle of the burner , pulled it apart and washed it, reassembled and realized this must be how guys that can rebuild carburetors must feel....

Last edited:
Now you guys got me looking at 1 gallon Propane tanks....

Agree cant go wrong with a colman, just make sure you get the adapter and hose to be able to use a regular propane tank when you have the room to take one. I bought a double double adapter and one goes to my portable webber grill and the other to the stove

My colman is like 10 years old and works great.

Thanks for making this thread. I just picked up a Coleman 2 burner for $47.17 to my door which is a pretty good savings compared to the $130 one I might’ve been tricked into buying if not for all the positive reviews for the CM.
How much cook time can I expect to get out of those 1lbs propane canisters?
Will a 4 pack be enough for me to brown some burger for tacos or chili and make some eggs for 4-5 days of camping?

Thanks for making this thread. I just picked up a Coleman 2 burner for $47.17 to my door which is a pretty good savings compared to the $130 one I might’ve been tricked into buying if not for all the positive reviews for the CM.
Will a 4 pack be enough for me to brown some burger for tacos or chili and make some eggs for 4-5 days of camping?
Yes, a 4-pack should be more than enough....for a few weeks of camping.

Yeah, it should. Splurge and buy a 5lb propane tank though. Worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back