Car camping meals

bisblue

Any great easy car camping meal suggestions?
I have a pretty good cook box that I toss in the truck, pot, cast iron skillet, propane Coleman two burner etc. I'll be chasing javelina in Arizona, couple days with a buddy, 6 or so days solo.
I enjoy cooking but usual keep it real simple when I'm solo. My 5 year old son can't have dairy so Mac n cheese with variation is pretty common now.
Compress_20230116_220108_8997.jpg

Last edited:
Burger onions garlic and a can of baked beans. Brown the burger with the onions and garlic then throw in the beans and simmer for a few minutes and eat up quick and easy.

Burger onions garlic and a can of baked beans. Brown the burger with the onions and garlic then throw in the beans and simmer for a few minutes and eat up quick and easy.
We do that with pork n beans with chili powder, cumin, ketchup and mustard. Try it over Great Value seasoned tater tots.

Foil packs with onions, cube steak and taters is pretty standard.

If I was car or truck camping I would precook dinners , vacpak And freeze. Thaw out and heat up in my skillet as needed. Lunch would be sandwiches. Breakfast I might cook eggs n sausage. I hate prepping food at my camp. If I have access to a grill I will eat burgers and steaks. Not a fan of boneless chicken breast. I vac and freeze leftover beans I cook from scratch rather than eat canned food but nothing wrong with canned beans. I always have chili frozen in the freezer in bags that can be reheated. Skotles ? Seem to be a very versatile cooking surface for camping.

We always pre make meals and vacuum seal individual portions. Freeze them and then drop them in pot of water on the stove to heat. Eat right out of the bag and no dishes to clean and your menu is unlimited.
This is awesome. Wish I would have asked a week ago and prepped meals.

Frozen lasagna in vacuum bag. Take it out in the morning to thaw. Boil in bag or pour out into a pan.
Frozen Stroganoff (boil in bag or cooked in pan)
box velveta mac & cheese with 1lb of ground venison
Chili or soup (again frozen in vacuum bag to boil or cook in pan)

I have a vaccum seal meal for each night that I can easily reheat in boiling water. I don't want to spend a bunch of time for cooking and clean up. Some of regulars are brats, chicken alfredo, ribs, pulled pork, chili, Lasagna and Taco meat.

Couple thick slices of deli turkey, box of stovetop stuffing, can of gravy, bag of dried cranberries.

Back in the days when I slept overnight on the back seat of my '53 Bel Air, I brought canned grub, usually chili and stew, and set the can on the exhaust manifold to warm up. Too bad no one makes a straight six engine anymore. Always made sure to just crack the lid on the can so it didn't explode. Great fun trying to fight with a hot tin can and P-38 opener getting the rest of the lid off. Ah, those were the days.

On one of those overnight car camping hunts I shot a cow in plenty of snow. Dragged her down the mountain by the ears and stuffed her in the trunk whole. Stopped at a pay phone on the way home to call dad and have him dung out the garage. When I returned to the Chev, a rear tire was flat (actually I was surprised those sawdust recaps made it to the highway carrying that load). So, with great difficulty I pulled that cow hard with rigormortis out of the trunk onto the road next to busy highway. Dug out the bumper jack and spare which fortunately had just enough pressure to get me back on the road. Changed tires and then it took everything I could muster to load the elk up again. After we had it hanging in the garage Dad asked me, "Where did you hide the tag this time?" Oh my ... it's still in my pocket unpunched! Didn't attach it because I was afraid it might come off and get lost during the drag down the mountain. I just plain forgot to punch it out. Very lucky a game warden didn't drive by during wrestlemania back at the pay phone. Yeah, those were the days. Sigh.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back