Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sous Vide Antelope Steak

Guy

Or, cell-phone antelope!

Craig, a good friend of mine who has been a part time chef for 20+ years, noted my enthusiasm for cooking and also noted my seriously under-educated skill level...

He also knew that I was a hunter, and that meat from game is often nowhere near as fatty as beef.

He recommended over a year ago that I try a "Sous Vide" for cooking. A what? "Soo-Vee" is how it's pronounced.

In the simplest terms possible, ya put a chunk of meat into a plastic bag, set it in a pot, and cook it for an hour or so. Then sear the outside in a hot pan for mere moments. The meat is never over-done, and is always juicy I was told.

Today I got a Very Early Christmas Present, a Joule Sous Vide device!

I decided to put it to work on an antelope steak from last fall. Put the steak into a zip lock bag with olive oil, rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic. Pushed most of the air out and sealed it up. Then via an app on my cell phone, I set the Joule to "medium rare" for a steak. It heated up the pot of water, I put the baggie with the steak into it, and waited while some potatoes cooked. While I was waiting I also cooked up some onion, red bell pepper, and mushrooms.

Less than an hour later, I seared the antelope steak on each side, in my cast iron skillet.

Put it all on the plate, and oh my goodness! I like antelope. This was the BEST I've ever had! Moist, perfectly done, nicely seasoned... Awesome. Here's some photos:

Prepping the antelope. I'd had it marinating:
QNjgoNEh.jpg

The Joule sous vide heating up to 133 degrees:
f5usy4vh.jpg

Onion & pepper in the cast iron skillet:
YanxIAvh.jpg

The finished meal. The best antelope steak I've ever enjoyed!
AU3k3Xhh.jpg

The Joule is almost $200, from Amazon. An alternative, half the price, is the Anova. On Craig's recommendation I went with the Joule and it worked perfectly. Oh my goodness, that was a good steak!

Regards, Guy

Now this sounds tempting. I have heard of this method but never tried it myself. Kinda like them oven bags they sell to cook roast in.

Reactions: Guy
Looks good! We got a multi-cooker for Christmas last year and did a bunch of meats w/ the Sous Vide application. Turns out awesome. Can't wait to drag it back out now that grilling season is largely over.

Looks good! We got a multi-cooker for Christmas last year and did a bunch of meats w/ the Sous Vide application. Turns out awesome. Can't wait to drag it back out now that grilling season is largely over.

C'mon man, grilling season is never over. I grill even when we have two feet of snow on the ground. And in the Wyoming wind too.

C'mon man, grilling season is never over. I grill even when we have two feet of snow on the ground. And in the Wyoming wind too.

I am a delicate flower, sir. And I love soups, so wintertime is soup time, plus I got some new cast iron I'm eager to play with. We'll still smoke & grill this winter, but not every night like we do in the summer.

Just wait till you start using the puppy on roast. That’s where the really shine, I’ve made some very good elk and bear pastrami and roast elk.

Just wait till you start using the puppy on roast. That’s where the really shine, I’ve made some very good elk and bear pastrami and roast elk.

Ya - roast was on my mind when I decided to buy. We've got elk, antelope and deer roasts in the freezer. I think this will be a great way to cook 'em.

Fun, learning new stuff!

Guy

You can cook whole uncut loin, top sirloin, or roast for hours and slice after searing and they’ll be perfect.
This was my first attempt at an antelope sirloin a few years ago. The sous vide heater can be used for lots of other things as well. I have a Anova.7954A16C-DD7F-4919-8D1C-F07042C4B924.jpeg

Here's an elk round roast I did last night. We're taking it hunting this weekend to make french dips. Toasted roll, horseradish and thin sliced rare elk. Mmmmmm!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 7
You can cook whole uncut loin, top sirloin, or roast for hours and slice after searing and they’ll be perfect.
This was my first attempt at an antelope sirloin a few years ago. The sous vide heater can be used for lots of other things as well. I have a Anova.View attachment 117933
GH are you a Hopzone pro-staffer? I mean seriously variety is the spice of life.

Man these pictures are making me want to go buy one! I do all of my meat cooking in my Traeger and have been pleased. Has anyone ever tried smoking something for 30-45 minutes to get some smoke flavor and then cooking it in one of these? I really enjoy the little bit of smoke flavor the traeger gives.

Man these pictures are making me want to go buy one! I do all of my meat cooking in my Traeger and have been pleased. Has anyone ever tried smoking something for 30-45 minutes to get some smoke flavor and then cooking it in one of these? I really enjoy the little bit of smoke flavor the traeger gives.
Mixing smoking & sous vide is a bit of an art. My preferred method is to smoke at a very low temp for a few hours to get a nice smoke ring, then sous vide for appropriate time (I usually do 24-48 hours on large cuts). Then go back onto the smoker to finish it off and get your desired texture.

If you sous vide first, then smoke, you get a decent exterior texture but lack a nice smoke ring. If you smoke first, then sous vide without the final smoke, the sous vide cooking will do away with all of the nice crust you developed in the smoker.

It turns into a lot of screwing around but the final product can certainly turn out amazing.

I don't have a 6.5 Creedmoor nor a man bun. I do however have a Joule and love cooking with that thing.

Its absolutely idiot proof and everything comes out perfect!

I would rather throw a few drops of liquid smoke in it rather than risk drying it our from smoke.

Sous vide = game changing protein preparation and dining at our house.

It does bend the brain to let it go for 20+ hours of cooking time for a large roast

Sous vide = game changing protein preparation and dining at our house.

It does bend the brain to let it go for 20+ hours of cooking time for a large roast

20+ hours? Wow! I need to do some more research. :)

Guy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back