MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Truck Camping Elk Hunt must have Food.

mannmicj

Ok Folks. I will be hunting/camping out of my truck during the 2nd Season Coastal Elk hunt in Oregon. I will be out for 4 days/nights. I may or may not take a portable cooking stove.

I thought it would be fun to ask everyone what their must have food/snacks would be in this situation.

Let it rip folks and thank you.

This season I was trying to stay mobile and went without a stove most days. Most of my meals were canned don't judge...canned stew, chili, soup, spaghetti-os, ravioli. snacks: chips, nutter butters, Costco mango slices, naan, cheese, jerky. Some mornings I had ramen or a freeze dried meal to warm up. Beer of choice limiting to no more than 2 per evening.

Over the last few months I've been vacuum sealing my favorite leftovers in single meal size ziplocs and froze them.
Dinners
Pork loin
BBQ chicken breast
Chicken picatta
chicken soup minus the pasta (boiled and added at meal time)
Carnitas
Taco Meat
Fajitas
Pulled Pork
Risotto
Beef Stew

I kept them in a dedicated Styrofoam cooler within my large cooler only to be opened when I pulled a flat, frozen bag dinner out to put in the cooler I had to prevent some products (like vegetables and fruits) from freezing the night before. The collective mass of frozen meals meant 9 days later I still had partially frozen bags of dinner in there. Some I heated in water I had on my Woodstove, and others I heated in a pan.

Breakfasts
cooked bacon
cooked sausage
Eggbeaters
Cold cereal assortment packets (poured milk right in the bag)
Pop Tarts
Bagels and Cream Cheese
Krusteaz just add water pancakes

Lunches
PB&J on Bagels or Tortillas
Salami & Cheese
Energy gels (GU Roctane)
Cuties brand Mandarins
Clif Bars
Nature Valley Sweet & salty
Nature Valley Protein Bars
Beef jerky

I usually wasn't very hungry when I arose in the morning so I'd fix a breakfast burrito or 3 and eat them once I arrived at my glassing point in the morning.

Over the last few months I've been vacuum sealing my favorite leftovers in single meal size ziplocs and froze them.
Dinners
Pork loin
BBQ chicken breast
Chicken picatta
chicken soup minus the pasta (boiled and added at meal time)
Carnitas
Taco Meat
Fajitas
Pulled Pork
Risotto
Beef Stew

I kept them in a dedicated Styrofoam cooler within my large cooler only to be opened when I pulled a flat, frozen bag dinner out to put in the cooler I had to prevent some products (like vegetables and fruits) from freezing the night before. The collective mass of frozen meals meant 9 days later I still had partially frozen bags of dinner in there. Some I heated in water I had on my Woodstove, and others I heated in a pan.

Breakfasts
cooked bacon
cooked sausage
Eggbeaters
Cold cereal assortment packets (poured milk right in the bag)
Pop Tarts
Bagels and Cream Cheese
Krusteaz just add water pancakes

Lunches
PB&J on Bagels or Tortillas
Salami & Cheese
Energy gels (GU Roctane)
Cuties brand Mandarins
Clif Bars
Nature Valley Sweet & salty
Nature Valley Protein Bars
Beef jerky

I usually wasn't very hungry when I arose in the morning so I'd fix a breakfast burrito or 3 and eat them once I arrived at my glassing point in the morning.
This is a hardcore list for sure. Way to plan ahead.

Like @2rocky, I’m a big fan of good, home cooked soup or stew or whatever frozen in a ziplock bag. Easy good meals to reheat in the evening. I also tend to crave candy when I’m hiking all day—Peanut M&Ms and Baby Ruth’s are favorites.

But let’s be honest mannmicj, we all know these suggestions are meaningless, because your pack is going to look like it’s got nothing but bricks stacked in it from all of the Tillmook baby loafs that will be jammed in there... 😉

Like @2rocky, I’m a big fan of good, home cooked soup or stew or whatever frozen in a ziplock bag. Easy good meals to reheat in the evening. I also tend to crave candy when I’m hiking all day—Peanut M&Ms and Baby Ruth’s are favorites.

But let’s be honest mannmicj, we all know these suggestions are meaningless, because your pack is going to look like it’s got nothing but bricks stacked in it from all of the Tillmook baby loafs that will be jammed in there... 😉
LMAO... Yes, there will be some Tillamook included in my hunting diet... Peanut M&Ms are a must for me as well. I'm trying to convince myself to leave the portable stove. So far my menu started with: meat sticks/jerky, Tillamook, avocados, bananas, nuts, and apples. It's basically survival food and won't take up much space. I also plan to have some milk in the cooler for cereal and chocolate milk :)

This thread is giving me other ideas as well. I want to go as simple as possible so very little time is spent on food prep each day. All that said. Having something warm/hot to eat would be nice since I will be spending all my time out in the rain... Haha. The stove might end up going when all is said and done.

For a snack - braunschweiger with ritz crackers and cold beer is needed at least one night. Otherwise sharp cheddar with summer sausage and triscuits is one of my preferred snacks I could eat every day.

Costco canned chicken with rice and pasta sides is a easy hot meal when truck camping. A bit better than a lot of canned meals IMO.

Serious question.

Have you all had Cabot?

Tends to be a bit regional, but costco carries it, I implore you make the purchase.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back