Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The greatest Christmas gift I could have

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This is a special video for me and Matthew. A bit of background.

A HuntTalker, Hem, introduced me to this family. Their son Nicholas was very sick a while back, where it was questionable if he would make it. Nicholas wanted a bunch of our videos to watch while in the hospital. Hem came by the house and Mrs. Fin loaded him up with videos, hats, and shirts. Fortunately, Nicholas recovered.

Last summer Nicholas came to see me at a speaking event. He was so bashful, it was all we could do to get a picture with him. We visited and he told me some hunting stories.

When I got off the road last week, Mrs. Fin showed me the mountain of mail that waited. On the top she had placed one envelope that said "Read First!" It was a letter from Nicholas' mother, Julie. Julie included an amazing letter and some of Nicholas's school work where he talked about me, our show, Matthew, and talked about what his dream was, etc. It was as touching as anything I've ever received as part of what I do.

I sent a copy of Nicholas' school work to Sitka and Leupold. They instantly sent me emails of stuff they were sending for me to take to Nicholas. I called Julie and told her I would be bringing a package of goods on Saturday. She told me Nicholas was up to his daily routine; watching Randy Newberg on YouTube. Nicholas has figured out how to use an iPad and even watch YouTube. Julie said he watches our YouTube videos multiple times.

That gave me an idea; make Nicholas the star of his own YouTube video. No item, no gift would match that in terms of uniqueness. I cleared it with Julie and the plan was set. We made arrangements to drive to their house yesterday afternoon.

Nicholas was one happy guy when we arrived. After opening his bag of goods, he kept us there for a long time, showing us his fort, presenting me with a card he had made, and telling me and Matthew how he and his dad were coming hunting with us someday. I asked what we would hunt. With no hesitation, he replied, "Bull Elk!"

Matthew spent this morning putting this clip together, trying to cut a couple minutes from an hour of big smiles and excitement. Might not be our most polished product, but when we shared it with Nicholas this afternoon Julie was so thankful and pleased. She replied that Nicholas was ecstatic and had watched it many times.

I am thankful to have met Nicholas and his family. For them to let us do this video for Nicholas is the greatest Christmas gift my family could ask for. And thanks to Hem for connecting us.

If you do watch the video, it would be great to leave a greeting for Nicholas down in the comments. He is a special person. A reminder of love and the spirit of the season.

Merry Christmas to all of you. And to Nicholas, his parents David and Julie, and his brothers, Max and Charlie. They provided me another reminder of the true meaning of Christmas.

Last edited:
Awesome, Thanks Nicholas. You look good in that Sitka gear, and congrats on being a Youtube Star!
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Man, that just pulls at your heartstrings. Thanks Randy for being the quality person you are.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back