Caribou Gear Tarp

The Gen Z Law Regarding Boomers For Off Season Sake.

Just gonna throw this out there but not all 80k’s are created equal one may require 500 hours of ot
Fair enough. I don’t mean to sound like I’m going at you or anything, but you did say 40-50 hour weeks in the post I responded to.

I’ve got a buddy working as an apprentice in the trades right now. The hours are terrible and pay not great. Also sounds like the company has a big multi-year out of town contract coming up they want to send him on. He’d have to be paired up with someone else in their housing and get rid of his dog.

Despite what some think, there’s not necessarily good living-wage jobs out there for the free taking.

Fair enough. I don’t mean to sound like I’m going at you or anything, but you did say 40-50 hour weeks in the post I responded to.

I’ve got a buddy working as an apprentice in the trades right now. The hours are terrible and pay not great. Also sounds like the company has a big multi-year out of town contract coming up they want to send him on. He’d have to be paired up with someone else in their housing and get rid of his dog.

Despite what some think, there’s not necessarily good living-wage jobs out there for the free taking.
Depends on the trade is my point and a lot of other factors

Depends on the trade is my point and a lot of other factors
Just wish everyone would share the secret sauce so I can help get all these lazy kids off their asses and started as productive members of society.

Found this trade that looks pretty easy to hop right into. Not sure how to get to that 90% bracket though. 2022 date from the BLS.

49-9092 Commercial Divers​

Work below surface of water, using surface-supplied air or scuba equipment to inspect, repair, remove, or install equipment and structures. May use a variety of power and hand tools, such as drills, sledgehammers, torches, and welding equipment. May conduct tests or experiments, rig explosives, or photograph structures or marine life. Excludes “Athletes and Sports Competitors” (27-2021), “Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers” (33-3051), and “Fishing and Hunting Workers” (45-3031).

Percentile​
10%​
25%​
50%
(Median)​
75%​
90%​
Hourly Wage​
$ 18.46​
$ 23.73​
$ 32.84​
$ 51.51​
$ 82.44​
Annual Wage (2)
$ 38,390​
$ 49,370​
$ 68,300​
$ 107,150​
$ 171,470​

I think indeed’s data is imperfect. I clicked through where you found that to see all “entry level” electrician jobs throughout the US. A large number on the first few pages have “journeyman level” in the job title or description despite the “entry level” filter being on.
It was a general list selection based on, "Electrician", "Plumber", and HVAC Tech.

Entry level is just that. To learn the job. An opportunity to get the foot in the door.

*Time in experience = increased pay.

Examples:
1709245071810.png

1709245116628.png

1709245254621.png

I find tradespeople amusing with all this overtime, overtime, overtime. As a college grad I worked 60-80hrs each week until I was 30 and didn’t get paid an extra cent for it. Yes, I agree that makes the debt I had from that degree even more questionable. 😂
Still, wouldn’t change a thing.

It was a general list selection based on, "Electrician", "Plumber", and HVAC Tech.

Entry level is just that. To learn the job. An opportunity to get the foot in the door.

You’re misconstruing the original thread of what I’d written here. Another poster said entry level apprentice HVAC jobs were going unfilled at $80k a year, implying that the reason is because younger people are lazy. I could not confirm the veracity of the statement about apprentice level wages in any similar fields after looking through actual job descriptions and BLS data.

I wasn't relating content specifically to what you were debating/discussing with another. I am not sure if it was your coment or another person's related to trade skills. I was curious as I know numerous electricians, etc that hold their family with a fiscal responsible position - time in service.

I was sharing the various trade skills and what people have available if they get off their ass and work instead of insisting everything given to them. (Boomer speak)...

The objective is to get inand work your ass off. As @cgasner1 shared there are those who press further and start their own business. Those dedicated have a much higher chance of success. I referred to that caliber of person in my comment quoted below.

Regardless: I'll revert to an earlier comment shared:
Regardless the Gen gap stereotypes:
  • Those who directly strive for "upper class" typically succeed, via degree or street creds.
  • Those who are satisfied pushing themselves to assure "middle - mid upper" typically succeed, again via degree or street creds.
  • Those who live in the "now" typically are not preparing for a 5, 10 yr goal / retirement objectives.

I find the group living in the present w/o regard for the future follow a degree route or street creds and pout away or complain about others "class" level.

Living in the current, IMO, leads to high debt to income ratio that drives their credit score down, mortgage out of reach, and buried in debt.
These are the ones who complain about "senior" generations.

Again, IMO, senior generations tend to disapprove of the sociological evolution of society. We have our comfort and when we are forced to live within the turn of newer generational outlooks - seems via much more accessible social media / more pronounced protests / technological advancements - it pisses off us older gens face to conform / or not...

For what it’s worth on today’s work force, I am a millennial, i do most of the hiring for the company I work for. I have a job posting out now for a seasonal position that will likely turn into a couple full time positions with benefits (ie health insurance, retirement, cell phone, company truck)

I have had 12 applicants, of those 5 never called back when I tried to set up interviews. I have had 3 cancel their interview last minute, 2 not show up for their interview, and only one actually show up.

I know there are always generational issues, but damn it is hard to hire anyone right now. I’m happy if they have a pulse anymore.

I prefer to make my assumptions based off those who stare confusingly at the credit card terminal at the grocery store as it screams at them "REMOVE CARD."

Also, I'll fight anyone who knocks avocado toast that has never actually eaten it. Whole grain toast with smashed cado, everything seasoning, with an over medium egg on top covered in your favorite hot sauce is worth throwing hands.
We forgot our hearing aids so we don't hear it screaming.

No no no - not whole wheat. The ultimate Avo toast is made with Dave's Killer 21 Grain

Why someone would work in one of those trades and not have their own business is beyond me. You’ll almost always be broke working for someone else.
Having been in construction for 10 years, the answer is pretty easy...

There's a lot of stupid people in this world. Many tradesmen do NOT have what it takes to run their own business. Talking with a lot of guys in the field, it seems like a bunch of them "used to work for themselves" but work for a larger outfit now.

For what it’s worth on today’s work force, I am a millennial, i do most of the hiring for the company I work for. I have a job posting out now for a seasonal position that will likely turn into a couple full time positions with benefits (ie health insurance, retirement, cell phone, company truck)

I have had 12 applicants, of those 5 never called back when I tried to set up interviews. I have had 3 cancel their interview last minute, 2 not show up for their interview, and only one actually show up.

I know there are always generational issues, but damn it is hard to hire anyone right now. I’m happy if they have a pulse anymore.
Sorry. Not a lot of details on the job but the fact you have only 12 applicants may be a hint.

Hopefully it was a cross section of age groups in there so we can't further stereotype

Examples:
View attachment 317470

Whatever McDonalds (corporate) is paying the ice cream machine techs, it's obviously not enough. Those things are always out of service.

I'll be buying McDonald's stock as soon as they announce installation of new AI-controlled ice cream makers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back