Synthetic Beef - Impact On Public Grazing?

I recall you saying facebook is the spawn of satin. Change your mind?
After over 10 years with a Facebook account, that's my opinion. How long have you been on Twitter?

Sorry for hijacking the post. To the OP's point, not enough beef is raised on public land for synthetic meat to make a difference. Public lands don't support the beef industry, they support the livelihood of public lands ranchers.

So let's say plant based and synthetic beef substitutes do take more of the market share.

1) Wouldn't that drive real beef prices down due to less demand as well as trying to get consumers to purchase real beef versus the alternative products?

2) If beef prices drop to a level that makes paying 20+ dollars per AUM unsustainable to the average small business rancher for private grazing leases...wouldn't that make public land grazing preference (cheaper per AUM) more desirable?

3) If demand/desire for public land grazing preference increases dramatically...wouldn't that lead to an increase in pressure on public land managers by the ranching community to increase grazing on public lands i.e. allow more AUMs to be allocated to livestock?

There will always be some level of demand for real beef. If beef prices tank, it seems logical to assume that the demand will be supplied by ranchers on land that is already paid for and/or on public land grazing allotments because these two choices are relatively "cheap" forage input costs.

Look at what happened in California when they diverted so much of the water to the big cities. Things dried up in a big hurry. It's the ranchers maintaining the reservoirs and water holes out west and making sure that the water stays where it is and the wildlife benefit from that. Back before the ranchers, as you mention, there was a much more even distribution of water because it wasn't being used in such concentrated quantities at certain locations as it is now. The need for beef is what keeps the ranchers on that land and keeps it all from being appropriated and sucked dry. As for the reservoirs and current water supplies, who is going to take care of that if ranchers aren't on public lands? They seal reservoir bottoms to hold water, manage river and stream crossings, maintain roads, and manage the grazing, and pay for the privilege to do so I might add. Do you really want to leave that in the hands of the government? Look at how well they manage everything else. Who is going to pay for that? Do you want to pay a 'water, grazing and road management' tax in every tag you buy? In the short term, a year after removing cattle from the range you might see more elk there. But how many elk will you see in ten years when the water holes have all dried up, in twenty years when thousands of acres have gone up in flames?
How does the land get over grown if all the water dries up?

So let's say plant based and synthetic beef substitutes do take more of the market share.

1) Wouldn't that drive real beef prices down due to less demand as well as trying to get consumers to purchase real beef versus the alternative products?

2) If beef prices drop to a level that makes paying 20+ dollars per AUM unsustainable to the average small business rancher for private grazing leases...wouldn't that make public land grazing preference (cheaper per AUM) more desirable?

3) If demand/desire for public land grazing preference increases dramatically...wouldn't that lead to an increase in pressure on public land managers by the ranching community to increase grazing on public lands i.e. allow more AUMs to be allocated to livestock?

There will always be some level of demand for real beef. If beef prices tank, it seems logical to assume that the demand will be supplied by ranchers on land that is already paid for and/or on public land grazing allotments because these two choices are relatively "cheap" forage input costs.
There are not a lot of unused AUM sitting out there on federal lands waiting for someone to ask for them. And the federal grazing rates do not increase or decrease due to demand. This CRS report has a lot of good information about the fee schedules for federal grazing permits.

There are not a lot of unused AUM sitting out there on federal lands waiting for someone to ask for them. And the federal grazing rates do not increase or decrease due to demand. This CRS report has a lot of good information about the fee schedules for federal grazing permits.
Understood. I guess my point was that I don't think public land grazing would go away or reduce as a result of synthetic beef gaining market share, but rather the opposite could occur since public land grazing is cheaper for producers.

Reactions: Oak

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back