Synthetic Beef - Impact On Public Grazing?

Look at what happened in California when they diverted so much of the water to the big cities. Things dried up in a big hurry. It's the ranchers maintaining the reservoirs and water holes out west and making sure that the water stays where it is and the wildlife benefit from that. Back before the ranchers, as you mention, there was a much more even distribution of water because it wasn't being used in such concentrated quantities at certain locations as it is now. The need for beef is what keeps the ranchers on that land and keeps it all from being appropriated and sucked dry. As for the reservoirs and current water supplies, who is going to take care of that if ranchers aren't on public lands? They seal reservoir bottoms to hold water, manage river and stream crossings, maintain roads, and manage the grazing, and pay for the privilege to do so I might add. Do you really want to leave that in the hands of the government? Look at how well they manage everything else. Who is going to pay for that? Do you want to pay a 'water, grazing and road management' tax in every tag you buy? In the short term, a year after removing cattle from the range you might see more elk there. But how many elk will you see in ten years when the water holes have all dried up, in twenty years when thousands of acres have gone up in flames?
yes alot more elk in non traditional areas due to water for cattle. Lots of water projects for wildlife also.

complain about farm and ranch subsidies but it won't be long and our government will be giving more money to synthetic meat companies & researchers than ranchers

I can see it now...beef industry crashes and 30 years from now hunters will whining on Internet forums about all the new additional hunters decreasing draw odds because they got into hunting to get “real” organic meat...oh wait...

Some truth in that, but the view holds everything else as static. Cows simply replaced bison (and prairie dogs to some degree) on the NA landscape. Bison tended to practice "take half, leave half", which ranchers are just starting to figure out. Maybe the number of bison tags would increase? :)
I don't believe that to be true at all. I was reading something a few years ago on what the range looked like when the bison herds still roamed free. The range was severly over grazed. It was backed up by figures related to the number of bison vs available grazing at the time. Pretty compelling.

I don't believe that to be true at all. I was reading something a few years ago on what the range looked like when the bison herds still roamed free. The range was severly over grazed. It was backed up by figures related to the number of bison vs available grazing at the time. Pretty compelling.
I have seen an article arguing that bison actually over grazed themselves into extinction rather than the commonly accepted view that we shot them out of existence. You can find anything on the internet. But it all requires a suspension of disbelief.

I read on the internet once the earth is flat, cigarettes don’t cause cancer, the moon landing wasn’t real, and Sandy Hook was fake.

If you read the old journals from trappers and the military there are references to sometimes having difficulty keeping there horses feed.

quoting this before reading the whole thread, but if it tasted that good they could replicate game meat and you wouldn't need to hunt... See where this is going?
Hmmm.
quoting this before reading the whole thread, but if it tasted that good they could replicate game meat and you wouldn't need to hunt... See where this is going?
Different "need" there. Grocery store, or mountains. Or maybe, synthetic game meat could be a way to take away our guns. Holy crap. mtmuley

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back