Synthetic Beef - Impact On Public Grazing?

I can tell you what happens to ranchland without cows. It turns to wasteland desert or gets so overgrown it burns up in wildfires, either way it won't support wildlife.

ranchland without cows = wasteland that won't support wildlife you say?

that's odd, i don't believe you for some crazy reason *eye roll*

especially considering lots of cows are grazed right in the middle of where elk wanna eat and sleep

Last edited:
I can tell you what happens to ranchland without cows. It turns to wasteland desert or gets so overgrown it burns up in wildfires, either way it won't support wildlife. So hunting goes down the tubes. Ranchers and hunters need to realize that they are each others' best allies in the land management issue and learn to work together.
How did we have wildlife before we had ranchers?
QQ

I can tell you what happens to ranchland without cows. It turns to wasteland desert or gets so overgrown it burns up in wildfires, either way it won't support wildlife. So hunting goes down the tubes. Ranchers and hunters need to realize that they are each others' best allies in the land management issue and learn to work together.
Some truth in that, but the view holds everything else as static. Cows simply replaced bison (and prairie dogs to some degree) on the NA landscape. Bison tended to practice "take half, leave half", which ranchers are just starting to figure out. Maybe the number of bison tags would increase? :)

Got to have a place with space to build these.

I chuckle at the certainty some have that they are more insightful about the future than Bill Gates is. That is after all, how he became as wealthy as he is. He saw the future concerning personal computers, and the rest is history.

If synthetic meat matches real meat on taste and nutrition and beats real meat on price,,,,well look no further than how China took over the manufacturing of many durable goods for an answer.

It won't happen in my lifetime but for a global population needing protein, raising cattle won't be competitive price wise to factory grown meat.

Some truth in that, but the view holds everything else as static. Cows simply replaced bison (and prairie dogs to some degree) on the NA landscape. Bison tended to practice "take half, leave half", which ranchers are just starting to figure out. Maybe the number of bison tags would increase? :)
Raise the number of bison tags all you want, but if these crafty critters don't want to leave the Park, you are SOL.

I chuckle at the certainty some have that they are more insightful about the future than Bill Gates is. That is after all, how he became as wealthy as he is. He saw the future concerning personal computers, and the rest is history.

If synthetic meat matches real meat on taste and nutrition and beats real meat on price,,,,well look no further than how China took over the manufacturing of many durable goods for an answer.

It won't happen in my lifetime but for a global population needing protein, raising cattle won't be competitive price wise to factory grown meat.

there you have it folks! we now know it, from 406 himself! wealth = knowing what is the healthiest best thing for mankind. rich people always seem to steer mankind for purely mankinds benefit ;)

how did that work out for enriched white bread? i wasn't around, but i bet a lot of wealthy people were saying it was gonna be the healthy cheaper smarter alternative :rolleyes:

yeah synthetic protein will probably be the future and will probably be cheaper. but has the cheaper solution to nutrition really EVER been the most nutritious and healthy? i think that's where this movement is all wrong and i will confidently call bill gates delusional for thinking so

there you have it folks! we now know it, from 406 himself! wealth = knowing what is the healthiest best thing for mankind. rich people always seem to steer mankind for purely mankinds benefit ;)

how did that work out for enriched white bread? i wasn't around, but i bet a lot of wealthy people were saying it was gonna be the healthy cheaper smarter alternative :rolleyes:

yeah synthetic protein will probably be the future and will probably be cheaper. but has the cheaper solution to nutrition really EVER been the most nutritious and healthy? i think that's where this movement is all wrong and i will confidently call bill gates delusional for thinking so

Kind of my thinking here.

Question for the synthetic meat experts here. Does PETA oppose, support, or are they indifferent on the consumption of synthetic meat?

How did we have wildlife before we had ranchers?
QQ
Look at what happened in California when they diverted so much of the water to the big cities. Things dried up in a big hurry. It's the ranchers maintaining the reservoirs and water holes out west and making sure that the water stays where it is and the wildlife benefit from that. Back before the ranchers, as you mention, there was a much more even distribution of water because it wasn't being used in such concentrated quantities at certain locations as it is now. The need for beef is what keeps the ranchers on that land and keeps it all from being appropriated and sucked dry. As for the reservoirs and current water supplies, who is going to take care of that if ranchers aren't on public lands? They seal reservoir bottoms to hold water, manage river and stream crossings, maintain roads, and manage the grazing, and pay for the privilege to do so I might add. Do you really want to leave that in the hands of the government? Look at how well they manage everything else. Who is going to pay for that? Do you want to pay a 'water, grazing and road management' tax in every tag you buy? In the short term, a year after removing cattle from the range you might see more elk there. But how many elk will you see in ten years when the water holes have all dried up, in twenty years when thousands of acres have gone up in flames?

People that eat real meat (hunters for example) should care.
I recognized that my post was unclear and modified it to be more clear.

There will be people eating meat for as long as there are people. Over the span of time, sythentic meat will be eaten by many. Much of the world is starved for protein. Some places rejoice at a meal of locusts. There are literally billions of people who have never or very rarely eaten beef.

Look at what happened in California when they diverted so much of the water to the big cities. Things dried up in a big hurry. It's the ranchers maintaining the reservoirs and water holes out west and making sure that the water stays where it is and the wildlife benefit from that. Back before the ranchers, as you mention, there was a much more even distribution of water because it wasn't being used in such concentrated quantities at certain locations as it is now. The need for beef is what keeps the ranchers on that land and keeps it all from being appropriated and sucked dry. As for the reservoirs and current water supplies, who is going to take care of that if ranchers aren't on public lands? They seal reservoir bottoms to hold water, manage river and stream crossings, maintain roads, and manage the grazing, and pay for the privilege to do so I might add. Do you really want to leave that in the hands of the government? Look at how well they manage everything else. Who is going to pay for that? Do you want to pay a 'water, grazing and road management' tax in every tag you buy? In the short term, a year after removing cattle from the range you might see more elk there. But how many elk will you see in ten years when the water holes have all dried up, in twenty years when thousands of acres have gone up in flames?
Ever given any thought to maybe damming rivers, creating reservoirs (all subsidized by TAX PAYERS), really isn't the best place to ranch and farm?

Cadillac Desert, by Marc Reisner may be worth your time to read.

I recognized that my post was unclear and modified it to be more clear.

There will be people eating meat for as long as there are people. Over the span of time, sythentic meat will be eaten by many. Much of the world is starved for protein. Some places rejoice at a meal of locusts. There are literally billions of people who have never or very rarely eaten beef.
This isn't about poor countries that eat insects for protein. This is about Bill wanting the wealthy countries to stop eating beef. And you seem to support his vision for some reason.🤔

QAnon said that the wildfires in California were caused by scientific lasers owned by a certain religion.... which I'll hold my tongue on because I don't want to hurt any feelings.

Eat BEEF 😁

I think grazing done correctly can be a good thing. I share the same frustrations as many of you since I have seen my share of overgrazed land and riparian damage on salmon streams.

This is an interesting 20 minute talk by an ecologist. He grew up loving wildlife and hating livestock. Now he tours the world lecturing on how to restore degraded land and desertification using dense herds of livestock! The premise - many of our ecosystems evolved with tremendous herds of grazing animals who were constantly being pushed around by predators. This simultaneously prevents overgrazing, adds mulch, fertilizer, and water retention, all creating great conditions for healthy vegetation. He mimics this process using a process called planned holistic grazing to restore degraded land.

Fire suppression, no grazing, invasive grasses, areas lacking wildlife - these seem like ingredients for land deterioration. Just my thoughts.

synthetic meats are definitely on the way, there is a big market for it. I personally wouldn’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back