Yeti GOBOX Collection

Specificly betwixt these two....

In 1977 I shot my first bull elk with a 7mm mag in the Missouri River Breaks. Still use one today, one more vote for the 7mm.

I vote 300 Win Mag. With the 300 you have a much greater bullet weight selection. 125's to 150's for smaller sized game. 165's to 180's deer and elk. 200's to 220's for the big dangerous stuff.

...7 Remington Magnum or 300 Winchester Magnum?

Depends on what you want to accomplish or what do you intend to use them for.

300wm for distance shooting with bullets available to buck the wind better than anything available in .284.

The 7 mag is more than capable of killing anything within reasonable range.

Both are belted mags and if you are a reloader you will soon learn the differences of reloading straight walled cartridges versus belted mags after 3-4 firings on your brass.

7mm Mag is my choice. I use 150 grain core looks on elk/deer and they drop quickly

Love the .30's although my favorite moves bullets faster than the Winchester. No 7's in my arsenal but maybe someday. If so the 7 will move bullets fast too. (RUM) mtmuley

Already bored with the Kimber? Not even going to hunt a season with it?

Knows from what he is talking. Down to 140#s and would still choot my .300. Not much fun to punch holes in paper with, but when it get time to get the job done I have never questioned it..

I vote 300 Win Mag. With the 300 you have a much greater bullet weight selection. 125's to 150's for smaller sized game. 165's to 180's deer and elk. 200's to 220's for the big dangerous stuff.

Depends on what you want to accomplish or what do you intend to use them for.

300wm for distance shooting with bullets available to buck the wind better than anything available in .284.

The 7 mag is more than capable of killing anything within reasonable range.

Both are belted mags and if you are a reloader you will soon learn the differences of reloading straight walled cartridges versus belted mags after 3-4 firings on your brass.
Might want to re-think that wind bucking premise. Lots of 7mm bullets with very good BCs that are lighter and therefore faster than equal BC bullets in .30.

Take Berger's hunting line for example. No .30cal bullet has a better BC than the 180gr 7mm and only the 210gr .30 bullet beats either model of 168gr 7mm bullet. A 7mm Rem Mag can push the 168gr bullet to right at 3000fps. A 300 Win Mag will be about 2800fps or a bit more for a 210gr bullet.

My 7mm Remington mag 700 BDL 1971 vintage was accurate right out of the box and still is. 'Recently had it finished with cerakote and now think I have a new accurate rifle. Any larger caliber is "overkill" in my opinion, considering the unpleasantness of shooting.

I own a 7mm so that's what I use.
My advice is to figure out where you will hunt and call the local sporting goods store. See if they carry the ammo. Neither one works worth a hoot if you forget bullets and find out you can't buy any.

My 7mm Remington mag 700 BDL 1971 vintage was accurate right out of the box and still is. 'Recently had it finished with cerakote and now think I have a new accurate rifle. Any larger caliber is "overkill" in my opinion, considering the unpleasantness of shooting.

Must be something extra magical about the 7RMs coming off the line in '71. Mine is a legit sub moa gun with just about whatever I put in it from a box on the shelf. With my own loads I can get it to .5-.75" all day long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back