Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sleeping Bag Opinions

drthornton

I am in the process of buying a sleeping bag/pad for my first back country Elk adventure in the 2011 season. Will be backpacking in and the shelter will be a 2 man tent. Will likely be hunting mid-late Sept in CO or WY unless AZ, UT or NM for some reason, smile upon me. I am also considering a 1st season CO rifle hunt. So avg. low temps will be in 40s and 30s...extremes aside.

I did archery Elk hunt this year but because it was our first western hunt and I was given an offer I couldn't refuse I went guided. Please do chastise me too much as I don't see this happening again and OYOA will be my future.

So I've been doing research on gear for about a year. I am set on most gear but sleeping bags have my head swimming. I want to start camping with my girls over the course of the next year to test my gear/systems out and to spend time with them so I want to buy my sleeping bag now and start camping ASAP. Budget.... would like to spend less than $200.

Opinions:
1. Down or Synthetic? I know that down is lighter and compresses better and synthetic is cheaper and performs better in wet conditions. So which is more suitable and what do you guys use? My hunt this year involved hiking 10 miles a day and with only a daypack I can really see the advantage of saving every ounce weight. It also rained. Considering the decreased warmth from a damp down bag(don't really know how bad it is) I can see the advantage of synthetic.
2. Temp rating? I originally thought I would get a +15 to +20 bag but that is pretty low for the avg conditions I am looking at. Course the lower you go the heavier it gets. I was hoping to get 1 bag to cover me for all year but that may not be the case. I am now thinking a +30 to +40 bag and consider a different bag all together for more extreme conditions if I ever plan to encounter them.
3. Sleeping pad? First thought was a simple Therm-a-rest pad just for the insulation value and I would just tough out being uncomfortable. Unfortunately I am a side sleeper and in a late spring backyard with my girls we slept on the floor of the tent....that sucked! I now am leaning toward a Big Agnes inflatable but of course those can loose air.

I am currently looking at a Eureka +30 Silver City Synthetic Bag and a Big Agnes Air Core Pad.

Thanks

I went with a wiggys http://wiggys.com/ I couldn't be happier with mine. A little heavier but does well when wet and is perfect for the hunting and camping I do. He uses a lamilite synthetic material that is much different than regular synthetic materials. Running a special at the moment for free shipping and 30% off all bags at the moment.

Last edited:
I would get a lower temp bag then you have figured.Nothing worse then being up all night because your cold.From my experience,30* bags aren't comfortable to me at 30*.I'd rather pack an extra 2lbs and be warm and comfortable.I use a 0* bag for my mid Sept hunts.Temps this year were 27* each morning.I never got cold and slept good.Don't skimp on what you sleep in or what you put on your feet.Those are two essentials to me for being comfortable, and pain free.

I would get the insulated air core, a 15-20degree bag. I've been snowed on in September, and it can get into the 20's at night. The temp ratings are usually optimistic and a few extra degree's won't hurt.

Wiggy's are nice bags, but thier heavy and bulky IMO.

This year I bought a sleeping bag liner made by Sea to Summit. It weighs a little under a pound and increased the warmth of my bag 5-7degrees. The biggest bonus was I don't sweat in my bag as much or at least I don't stick to it anyway, and I can wash the liner instead of the whole bag.

I'd look at a Big Agnes bag to go with your pad. They're well made and if I was in your shoes... it would be what I'd be looking at. I've always been on the fence with down/synthetic. I've never had my bag get wet in 15 years of backpacking. I currently and for the last 5 years have had a down bag. If I had to do it again I'd probably go synthetic, there are some new synthetics out that will compress nearly as much as down and are very light.

Down has basically zero insulating value when wet, synthetic will retain about 40-60%. It will also dry a bit faster. However... most all quality down bags have a water resistant treatment/shell these days.

I've never had a down bag, so I can't commit on which is better. However, if you have a good tent, you shouldn't have to worry about the bag getting wet. I also suggest going with a lower rated bag as it is not fun freezing your arse off because you wanted to save a pound or two. Check into a 30 degree bag that you can use a liner with which will provide you with a bag that you can use most of the year and give you a little flexibility if it's cooler or warmer than the longterm average. I imagine you're already aware, but don't leave the bag in the stuff sack for the next year if you do buy it early. Check to see what your hunting buddy has. You could always zip the two together if you get cold :D

I bought a Big Agnes Pomer Hoit several years ago, and am super pleased. Super light, especially since the pad is integrated into the bottom of the back. IMO, definitely the way to go if you're looking to save weight.

Go with a warmer bag. Froze my but off for six nights in the Wind River MTS. on Sept. 15th, and we were in a cabin with a stove. Granted, the cabin had holes in the walls the size of softballs, but we froze all night every night, and the only sleep I got was by reclining in the F-250 on the third day with the truck running and the heat on. Good luck. If you hunt Wyoming in 2011, I'd love to hear about your overall general plan (hunt area no., points you have, etc. just generic stuff).

I used to always use down than I got away from it because I worried about getting wet.Than during one of my many cold ,sleepless nights in my syn. bag I realized that I had always managed to keep my down bags dry and I always slept comfortably through the night.I just switched back.
You will have to double your budget for a good Western Mountainering bag(that will last the rest of your life and well into your childrens)or you could get a Cabellas"Boundry Waters"bag and stay pretty close to your budget
Tim

Big Agnes Pomer Hoit.......zero degree bag with insulted core pad.......VERY lightweight, packs small, and will keep you energized with the comfortable sleep you'll receive.

On my Alaska hunt, I had my Wiggy's bag and my buddy had his $500 down bag. Bottom line, he woke up wet and cold almost every night and I stayed warm and dry the whole trip. Just my 2 cents, but I love my Wiggy.

drthornton-
I think we were in the same general area for the CO archery elk hunt this year and I can guarantee we hit some temps below freezing during some of the nights--my bivy sack was frosted over and stiff, which was a bad deal for me since I borrowed my brother-in-law's Kelty (supposed) 20degree :rolleyes: bag because it is lighter weight than my current bag. The bag is a hunk of junk and I wouldn't let my kids sleep in it for a backyard camp out in Phoenix. In summer.

My bag is down and I roll it up with my gore-tex bivy sack around it, so there's no chance it'll get wet. I'm in the market for a new one too and I'm between a Wiggy's (heavier), Marmot Helium (my first choice), Marmot Pinnacle & the Big Agnes Pomer Hoit but they're all considerably over $200. I figure I'll be in it between 15-30 nights a year for many years to come so I'd rather spend a little (or a lot) more on a quality bag as, like with optics, bargains usually aren't worth crap.

I've used a BA Insulated Core pad and haven't had any issue with leakage, so I'd recommend it.

No judgement here on the guided hunt. I've never done one & probably won't but I do feel like I'm lacking some important knowledge since I learned what little I know from mainly lazy hunters & my hunting opportunities were often many years apart. Probably could pick up some good pointers from a solid guide.

Best of luck on your choice.

p.s. Someone is selling a Wiggy's Superlite (used) on ebay for under $200 with shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wiggys-Super-Light-Sleep-System-X-Long-Military-/230525199597?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ac5f64ed#ht_858wt_907

Last edited:
Big Agnes Pomer Hoit. Light, compacts well, and the pad inserts into the sleeve on the bottom of the bag. Can't roll of the pad unless you roll the entire bag.

I've used Thermarest Neo Air, Ridgerest, Z-lite, Prolite's, and BA ins. air core on a variety of mediums. For a side sleeper I think the BA air cores and ins. air cores are pretty hard to beat for the price.

For $200 I'd try to find a high end bag used (Montbell, WM, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the input!
Another point of reference is I am 6'4" and 240#s and 39 years old...so I need Long and wider bags.
I have decided to get a 0* bag in conjunction with a BA insulated air core pad. I have also decided that I cannot sleep comfortably without being able to turn on my side. I understand that turning inside a bag will not work and therefore bags with lower insulation on the back or pad sleeves are not gonna work for me. Thus I have taken BA bags off my list.

I am now down to weight vs cost

Here is my current list...let me know what you think and if you have had bad experiences with any of the bags listed.

Down Bags:
1. Western Mountaineering Kodiak MF $510 3#s
2. Marmot Lithium Membrane $484 3#-4ozs
3. Montbell UL Super Spiral $449 3#s
4. North Face Nova $459 3#-8ozs
5. Montbell Super Sprial $329 3#-14oz
6. Marmot Never Summer Membrane $369 4#
7. Kelty Zephyr (Discontinued) $189 3#-13oz

Synthetic:
1. Northface Snowshoe $160 3#-11oz
2. Wiggy's Superlite Lng/Wd $153 5#(based on quality reviews)
3. Montbell Super Spiral Burro $200 4# -10oz
4. Sierra Designs Catalyst $200 4#-8oz
5. Mountain Hardwear Lamina $195 4#-12oz(MH website lists at 1# lower ????)
6. Kelty Cosmic $100 4#-12oz

So just stepping back from this and looking at the data I don't see a reason to get a Down bag unless I plan to spend and additional $300 to save around 11oz. At this point in my hunting carrier I don't see the benefit.

So does anyone have experience with a Northface Snowshoe bag?

Dr.

Keep in mind that in addition to weight the down will likely pack down much smaller too. For your situation I'd look at companies 600-fill bags instead of their 850-fill bags. Most companies, Western Mountaineering excepted, will offer a "value" line of down bags with the slightly less quality down. You still take advantage of modest weight savings and likely substantial pack size savings with a much friendlier price tag. Check out bags like the Marmot Sawtooth, REI Halo, Big Agnes Lost Ranger and the Mountain Hardwear Piute.

And opinions are like elbows but... I don't see the need to spend the $$ on a 0*. 0* bags provides marginal improvement in most conditions over a 10-20* bag. With the pesos you save on those 10* you can easily buy a liner and stretch the rating of your bag by wearing some insulation to bed and even throwing a nalgene bottle or platy bag of warm water down by your feet in the bag.

That's my two pennies worth.

So does anyone have experience with a Northface Snowshoe bag?

Just used on on my UT elk hunt. Great bag when it was 90 degrees :rolleyes: But anyway, it seemed comfortable, and I got it because it packs pretty small and is light for the 0 rating. REI says the newer bags they carry now have some standard for the rating to keep it true. The newer synth bags are packing smaller than they used to and I always worried about the down and wet problems so I decided to stay with synth. Plus if synth gets wet it can be dried easier in a pinch. I also got the tall model. It packed and weighed what my old 15 degree bag did.
BTW, REI has them on sale right now, so I need to stop there and get my partial refund for the difference.

Last edited:
Took Smalls advice and looked at 10-20 degree down bags as well.

Basically for my size I narrowed it down to 3 bags
1. North Face Snow Shoe $162.30 0 degree 3# 11oz Stuff 9.5x18=171=80in^3 comp shoulder 64”
2. Marmot Sawtooth Membrane +15 $250.27 3#8oz stuff 7.5x16 (-51 in^3)= 60in^3 comp Shoulder 64”
3. Montbell Super Spiral Hugger +1+15 $288 3# 3oz stuff 7.5x14.8=56in^3 comp
4. Kelty bags are both light and cheap which makes me worried that they are not very high quality and I could be in the same spot in a year or 2 saying I wish I would have spent the $ on a good bag.

So based on everything the North Face Bag sure looks like the best deal.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back