Sleeping Bag Opinions

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/blackburnSL I been taking this with me where down is not a worry with wet weather. The larger footbed is real nice, and the slip in pocket for the pad makes it impossible to roll off your pad, and that is great for when I use the hammock system. The Big agnes bags are light because they really do not have a bottom, just the pad pocket.
This! I have used a Lost Ranger for over 10 years and have been quite pleased. I like the room (Classic series) cuz I'm fat and their pads are comfy.

I have the marmot helium eq it has a 850 fill and a gortex like shell. I have had a few bad downpours at night and never gotten the down wet.

I see one on eBay for $200 right now. That's a smoking deal on a great bag.

What do you guys think about the wiggys ultra light hunter bag 20 degree for a backpacking into the wilderness outside of Durango end of September - think the bag will be warm enough - assuming there is not a blizzard? the 0 rating is almost 6lbs that is my hesitation - I am 6'1 and 220 and sleep warm anyway - never had a mummy bag so not sure if I would feel cramped. Thoughts

Ron

I'd consider something else, 6lbs is way too heavy if you are going any distance/elevation. My 2-person tarp, 0* quilt, and BA IAC weigh less than that bag combined. End of september could be warm or winter.... so not sure on the 20 rating but maybe since you are a warm sleeper. What is the weight savings for 'ultralight'?

I'm with the post that mentioned going with the better temp rating. I freeze my a*& off in my 25* REI bag when its below 35. This was on a pad with R-value of 3.2. You can always stick your arms out or vent the warmer bag.

Poke around on ebay... pretty good deals on some nice bags there. Marmot, Western Mountaineering, Montbell, etc.

I am on my 3rd bag since I started this thread. Here is what I have learned.

- Don't be scared of Down getting wet...just take precautions
- Take care to consider how you sleep i.e. restless, side sleeper etc....
- If you are a big guy with broad shoulders you will be miserable in most any mummy bag
- If you think the extra weight/bulk is worth it for a bigger heavier bag on a backpack trip...you are wrong

My only western hunt this year is a base camp hunt so I am using a BA Summit Park again. I would not take this back up a mountain again.....See my last point above.

Before I got lucky on a NM Elk tag I thought I was headed for CO OTC. I was considering 2 bags.
- Montbell UL Super Spiral #1(stretches for broad shoulders)
- Enlightened Equipment Revelation X Quilt....I was very intrigued about quilts. There are mixed reviews on whether these keep you warm enough. Glad I have at least another year to decide.

- If you are a big guy with broad shoulders you will be miserable in most any mummy bag

Before I got lucky on a NM Elk tag I thought I was headed for CO OTC. I was considering 2 bags.
- Montbell UL Super Spiral #1(stretches for broad shoulders)

I have a UL Super Spiral #0, and it is very comfortable for a big guy. I like it.

I just scored a Mont-bell UL Spiral Hugger 0 for $300 on clearance.

I was on the fence, but I hopped in it and was shocked as to how much room it had for me. I'm pretty stoked to get a 0 degree, sub 3lb for such a killer price and have comfort to boot.

I just ordered a marmot snowcrest 5 degree down bag from Sierra trading post. I wanted to spend $600 on a sleeping bag but my wife was giving me the stinkeye. Oh well, for $160 with 35% off, I think I will get plenty of bang for my buck. Can't wait to use it, should be plenty warm!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back