Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Sleeping out under the stars…

bedroll-graphic.jpg

I had a weird experience sleeping under the stars. I was 17 years old and camping alone. Just before falling asleep, I saw a beautiful big shooting star. In the middle of the night, I was awakened by a bright light shining in my face, completely blinding me. Being only half awake the thought that went through my mind was that a shooting star was headed right towards my face about to hit me. I reacted by quickly rolling to the side. Realizing that the shooting star theory was ridiculous I fumbled around for my flashlight and looked all around. I didn't see nor hear anything. The only thing I could think of was that someone had walked up on me and shown a flashlight in my face than ran off, but I hadn't seen a living soul that entire trip and it was 2:00 AM in the middle of nowhere.

Freaked me out a bit. I didn't go back to sleep.

Sleeping out under the stars can be one of the great joys of life (sans rain and skeeters) and I recommend it heartily, solo or not. Damn damn damn. The memories. Back at the turn of the last century, my wife and I were in Baja. We were in our 20s. We kayaked south of Loreto and met a vaquero and his nephew. We rented their mules and they hauled our asses and a bit of gear up into the mountains, where there was this tiny little bit of water. It had not rained in 18 months and EVERY wild thing was drawn to that water. It was an amazing evening, watching the birds and bighorns come in for water, listening to coyotes and godknows else in the dusk. We built a fire of dead cholla and slept under the stars. We had sleeping bags, but the vaqueros had horse blankets and saddles for pillows. Real deal. Hours after the stars came out, I heard the cowboys up and cursing in Spanish, poking the fire and shaking the blankets. In the morning I asked what was the fuss. Serpiente. They took me to a nearby pile of rocks and pried up a big flat stone. Under it was the biggest, nastiest rattle snake I've ever seen in my life. The said they were venomous enough to kill cattle and the local cattle looked damned near bulletproof. So, yeah, snakes are a thing but K and I have slept out under the stars for 30 years and I wouldn't trade one of those nights for a damned thing.

We used to do this all the time, in the desert, and in fair weather, in the mountains. Ensolite pads (and, yeah, it dates us), Trailwise bags zipped together, very snuggy. Later, when river camping, we used a mesh tent; weight was minimal. No bugs but still decent vision. Although there is nothing like no barrier between you and the stars.

And as for the skunks, in honor of Harold, we always carried pistols, my wife a .357 Model 19, and me, a .44 Model 29. Right in the fuggin' head. ;)

Look at the stars and then sleep in the truck...why sleep in the open? I have never done it and never will...seems kinda pointless when a nice dry truck is there or a tent.

If the temps have been low enough for long enough it’s fine. I’ve found scorpions around me in early season and spring here in TX, plus spiders; snakes are also an issue.

I don’t think I’d have much concern during October in higher elevation.

Some of these guys act tuff but they don’t state the temps, locations and elevations of their cowboy camps.

Some of these guys act tuff but they don’t state the temps, locations and elevations of their cowboy camps.
I guess I grew up in a time when only little girls were afraid of spiders and snakes so maybe I'm out of touch with the touchy-feely emotions of the modern man, but when did sleeping under the stars become an act of toughness?

I guess I grew up in a time when only little girls were afraid of spiders and snakes so maybe I'm out of touch with the touchy-feely emotions of the modern man, but when did sleeping under the stars become an act of toughness?
Yeah, WTF - I don't understand either. It's a joy to sleep under the stars - there's no bragging about it. I just don't understand where that statement comes from. I came of age when it was considered normal to sleep under the stars. I've done it above timberline, and done it on winter trips with temps well below zero. It's not a big deal, and is nothing to brag about. It's just fun.

Some people live sheltered lives I guess, or are just afraid of their own shadow...

Yeah, WTF - I don't understand either. It's a joy to sleep under the stars - there's no bragging about it. I just don't understand where that statement comes from. I came of age when it was considered normal to sleep under the stars. I've done it above timberline, and done it on winter trips with temps well below zero. It's not a big deal, and is nothing to brag about. It's just fun.

Some people live sheltered lives I guess, or are just afraid of their own shadow...
Sorry guys, maybe I was a bit too abrasive after my glass of scotch. I love sleeping outside but we obviously come from different regions and climates, me being in TX and you guys Montana and Oregon.

I live in the land of the rattlesnake and scorpion and yes I have had scorpions and spiders get me at night, the neighbors boy got bit by a rattler and had to be choppered out since we are so far away from anything, his medical bills were in excess of $200k if I remember right.

OP is in TN and obviously doesn’t have much experience given his questions. My point is “sleeping under the stars” can offer many deferent experiences given the location and time of year.

Again, sorry for the umbrage.

I prefer to sleep out. I also pitch a tent to duck into if I wake up with rain on my face. I don't sleep well when camping unless in a regular campground anyhow. It's all the same either way.

Tents don't stop the little scorpions we have in the SE. We have them pretty bad around my house. I have to spray Onslaught every quarter year round. That's the only thing that works for scorpions and spiders. If you have an epi pen level allergy, spray a swath around camp.

Mosquitoes....yeah we have those pretty much year round. I've been twenty foot up a pine with frost on the ground and had one buzzing in my ear many times. 40% DEET lasts all night if you're trying to pack light.

The only real issue for me is dew getting things soaked sometimes.

My Bro and I slept outside on the ground every night for about half a year while my dad hand built our cabin in NorCal. If it was wet, we slept under the camper shell (which was sitting on the ground). If dry, under the sky. No sleeping pads, just blankets, quilts, and sleeping bags. It was awesome. By the end we had our own constellations named. Easy to see how much more integrated into the night sky folks used to be.

Last edited:
So, this sounds like a cool thing to do to watch the stars with my son out in northern WY, sleeping out under the stars. But am I crazy for being a little nervous about a rattlesnake or scorpion ending up in my or my son’s sleeping bag? Is that a thing, or just some old urban (er, rural) legend? The simplicity of rolling out a couple of mats and sleeping bags and no tent (as long as the wind is calm) just sounds appealing for at least one night. Otherwise we’re sleeping in the back of the expedition
More likely to be a bear in that country than a snake or scorpion

A bivy is another option. You can be 'open air' over your face for star gazing, or close a mesh bug screen, if needed. You will have some protection from moisture/rain too, depending on how robust your set up is.

You can be pretty minimalist. For example, check out Borah Tech.

Early archery season down to 40* with clear skies Ive slept in my borah bivy, no tent or sleeping bag, just in my clothes layered up. A little chilly but was a good test of gear and mental fortitude. Was rewarded with seeing some huge forked blacktails at 9000'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back