Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Stoking the fire

After the shennanigans this weekend, I spent the last couple of days actually working instead of scouting. Everyone has to pay the piper, I guess.

Took the dogs out for a short walk on a piece of ground that's not really turkey country, but has some potential with new cuts and older age stands, water, etc. Just not a lot of food.

On the way, a hen was out feeding alongside the road, and she had a tom with her. They were 10 yards off the neighbor's where I have permission, but they're roosting around there, so there's a plan in place between the water, grass and cover.

On the way back, the Tom was strutting on the road. Clearly, these birds are availing themselves of Michigan's regulations to spur their advance as a species.

He moved off slowly. The hen showed no concern. About 15 yards deeper into the woods, a larger Tom was standing on the edge of cover, on the property I could hunt.

1713971394247.png

My season opens Saturday and it's supposed to be 70 degrees and rainy. The popup blind was set last Sunday at the Mossyoak (TM) bathrobe field to let birds acclimate. The rest of the week looks good. Since I'm headed out for a work trip on the 2nd, I think I'll take Tuesday and Wednesday to hunt if the weekend is a bust.

HS Undertaker choke gets here today for the 870 Express, so I'll pattern that with a 1 7/8's ounce 3 " shot shell, and my little 26 " bbl Greifelt with some 2 3/4", 1 3/8 oz #5's for shots inside of 25 yards or nice weather. Improved Modified should be fine within that range.

The SOB was in full strut in the middle of the road, with three hens at his side. I'm thinking the bully groups are probably breaking up a bit as the hens start to get more ready for the boys' shenanigans.

No real activity on the roost site behind the house, but they tend to use it on a rotation, which should coincide with tomorrow evening.

Rain in the am on Saturday, super windy in the afternoon. I'll likely not be too eager for opener, but the week looks better, and I've decided that I'm taking at least 2 days next week before I head out on a work trip. I suppose at some point I should get a camo raincoat, as the blue one seems a bit...obvious.

Letting the dogs in last night around 9, a lone gobble rang out across the road. Somewhere in the timber, about 1/4 mile from where I was watching a dog drop a load, hope waits.

So does some soggy waiting. Windy, but sunny in the afternoon tomorrow and rainy conditions until Tuesday. There are some spots that have good stands of mature trees in draws with water and good cover so I'm hoping we'll get some afternoon action. I'm planning the snack platform & ensuring there's a nice comfy wooby for warmth in the bathrobe blind. #sickforit #turkeyposse #slippers #thiscoffeecouldusesomemorecream

High winds & rain yesterday and some work kept me from heading out. Sat this am on the roost but they headed the other direction. I did have a lovely conversation with the 4 toms above me, 1 to the south & 1 to the west. Rain starting at 10 & going through tomorrow. Dropping the kids off at the pool & heading across the road.

PXL_20240428_101351310.MP.jpg

There's something about a special pair of pants. I've had this set of camp zipoff leg Cabela's pants since the 2000's. Today the crotch totally blew out while I was hunting. I was making a sweet maneuver to get close to a strutter in the field & the next thing I know my boys are gobbling out & proud.

So, swing & a miss. Changing pants & getting back out until the rain gets here.PXL_20240428_121036691.MP.jpg

Another chase on a couple of toms that were in a creek bottom. No joy. Apparently the tan chinos were a dead give away.

Chased a total 10 toms around this am, never more than a mile from my front door. It's raining the next 36 hours, but Tuesday & Wednesday look good.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back