PEAX Equipment

Sleeping out under the stars…

I had a weird experience sleeping under the stars. I was 17 years old and camping alone. Just before falling asleep, I saw a beautiful big shooting star. In the middle of the night, I was awakened by a bright light shining in my face, completely blinding me. Being only half awake the thought that went through my mind was that a shooting star was headed right towards my face about to hit me. I reacted by quickly rolling to the side. Realizing that the shooting star theory was ridiculous I fumbled around for my flashlight and looked all around. I didn't see nor hear anything. The only thing I could think of was that someone had walked up on me and shown a flashlight in my face than ran off, but I hadn't seen a living soul that entire trip and it was 2:00 AM in the middle of nowhere.

Freaked me out a bit. I didn't go back to sleep.
1697041630522.jpeg

One of the best nights I ever spent in the mountains was sleeping under the stars right at treeline in the Beartooths in late September. I’m more likely to do it in the mountains than on the prairie. I’ve done it once or twice hunting antelope and always end up having more spiders than I prefer crawling around. Some whiskey makes it a lot more fun.

The mountains of Wyoming are a great place to sleep out under the stars. It’s not a big deal. Tents are nice for mosquitos.
But if I lived down south you wouldn’t catch me sleeping on the ground. No thanks on the spiders and scorpions down there.

Early archery season down to 40* with clear skies Ive slept in my borah bivy, no tent or sleeping bag, just in my clothes layered up. A little chilly but was a good test of gear and mental fortitude. Was rewarded with seeing some huge forked blacktails at 9000'.
Bro, always bring your bag or a quilt too. Borahs are great (mine's 5 oz), but a bag or quilt can save your life. :)

Bro, always bring your bag or a quilt too. Borahs are great (mine's 5 oz), but a bag or quilt can save your life. :)
IMG_5554.jpeg
Seriously though, I know what Im doing brah. Bluebird weather, decade of hunting the spot, and good gear. Pack was so light I could get back where I wanted to without breaking a sweat. Clothes I brought kept me warm at night in those temps so it was basically like wearing a sleeping bag. Ive done it a few times solo, no big deal. Ive also pushed the limit of my old sleeping bag in bad weather with the same layering of clothes.

While a sleeping bag or tent could save your life, so could a big fire or the sos button on my inreach, or just hiking out. When its 75 and sunny during the day, with no clouds or rain for weeks, I can play with gear choices without being reckless. Without googling it, tell me the rule of 3's, and the #1 killer in the backcountry. Before I take anyone into the backcountry its what I teach them.

View attachment 296659
Seriously though, I know what Im doing brah. Bluebird weather, decade of hunting the spot, and good gear. Pack was so light I could get back where I wanted to without breaking a sweat. Clothes I brought kept me warm at night in those temps so it was basically like wearing a sleeping bag. Ive done it a few times solo, no big deal. Ive also pushed the limit of my old sleeping bag in bad weather with the same layering of clothes.

While a sleeping bag or tent could save your life, so could a big fire or the sos button on my inreach, or just hiking out. When its 75 and sunny during the day, with no clouds or rain for weeks, I can play with gear choices without being reckless. Without googling it, tell me the rule of 3's, and the #1 killer in the backcountry. Before I take anyone into the backcountry its what I teach them.
I don't know the "Rule of Threes" except for those used when writing something interesting (without googling). But I did look it up, and of course have known all three of those simplistic axioms since I was a tot. I'm guessing falling off of things is the number one killer.

But...I have lived out of doors more than 300 days/nights of my life (for work and pleasure), so there is that.

It was a simple statement. Didn't mean to question your knowledge. :)

Last edited:
Just a friendly jab @Islander You were absolutely correct about a sleeping bag n tent as safety gear. Compared to some guys on HT Im still a rookie with how much they time they spend in the mtns. My wife thought I was crazy for doing it haha. I spend a lot of time in the high country now, wish I had done it earlier in life. I know that spot very well and I live in the mountains. But the sierras of CA can be very wet or very dry. Not far from where I did that trip a 14 year old died from exposure in a snow storm while hunting - hypothermia killed him and its #1. Most of us know the rules of 3, but just dont call it that, and I preach it to beginners. My trip was a test of skill and gear. But it is cowboy camping. I knew where trees and rocks were to shelter me in a storm if needed but I only do that when it's sunny and clear for a wide margin on either end of my trip.

Just a friendly jab @Islander You were absolutely correct about a sleeping bag n tent as safety gear. Compared to some guys on HT Im still a rookie with how much they time they spend in the mtns. My wife thought I was crazy for doing it haha. I spend a lot of time in the high country now, wish I had done it earlier in life. I know that spot very well and I live in the mountains. But the sierras of CA can be very wet or very dry. Not far from where I did that trip a 14 year old died from exposure in a snow storm while hunting - hypothermia killed him and its #1. Most of us know the rules of 3, but just dont call it that, and I preach it to beginners. My trip was a test of skill and gear. But it is cowboy camping. I knew where trees and rocks were to shelter me in a storm if needed but I only do that when it's sunny and clear for a wide margin on either end of my trip.

Sierras were my childhood stomping grounds. Definitely can bite you if you aren't careful.

Living in gold camp on the mighty Mokelumne with my crazy dad. :)
Gold-Mining-on-the-Mokelumne_HC.jpg

I think you will find that falls are the number one cause of death for both hikers and hunters. Though hypothermia is one that can get those who think they are being very careful.

Sierras were my childhood stomping grounds. Definitely can bite you if you aren't careful.

Living in gold camp on the mighty Mokelumne with my crazy dad. :)
View attachment 296714

I think you will find that falls are the number one cause of death for both hikers and hunters. Though hypothermia is one that can get those who think they are being very careful.
I was way off! Hypothermia is #4?! Falling, drowning, heart attacks are 1 2 3. Yup Ive been through some crazy Sierra's weather, its definitely something to respect. I live at 4000' in them so I see it daily. Awesome pics. The moke is a fun place to explore, as is carson iceberg and desolation. Special place to live for CA, makes it tolerable to stay.

Early archery season down to 40* with clear skies Ive slept in my borah bivy, no tent or sleeping bag, just in my clothes layered up. A little chilly but was a good test of gear and mental fortitude. Was rewarded with seeing some huge forked blacktails at 9000'.
A light quilt and a 60% (length) blow-up pad would have been more comfy...

Last edited:
A light quilt and a 60% (length) blow-up pad would have been more comfy...
So would a tipi, helinox chair, and ti wood stove. I have a nice quilt and pad, very light. Point of the trip wasnt comfort but the exact opposite. How uncomfortable can I tolerate and still hunt successfully? Now I know.

So would a tipi, helinox chair, and ti wood stove. I have a nice quilt and pad, very light. Point of the trip wasnt comfort but the exact opposite. How uncomfortable can I tolerate and still hunt successfully? Now I know.
I read your posts with interest. I meant no disrespect. Certainly you got it down to the barest of minimal - I applaud your (as that was your goal) thinking. ✔

I read your posts with interest. I meant no disrespect. Certainly you got it down to the barest of minimal - I applaud your (as that was your goal) thinking. ✔
All good no disrespect interpreted. Was thinking next time maybe go with no water filter or tablets. Just drink from springs. Minimalist camping is fun.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back