Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sidearm advice

fowladdict

I have been wanting a sidearm for a while. Can anyone tell me about the Smith & Wesson .45 4566? Is it a good sidearm to carry? A co-worker has one that he is looking to sell. He said he would let it go for 400.

One of the best handguns that S&W ever made IMO. There are better choices out there for conceal carry but should serve you well for a home defense/ range gun.

It is a big gun and has a hammer. I don't like having a hammer on my sidearm for something to get in between the hammer and the pin to stop it from firing. I've never fired one so I can't tell you how the cycle feels. This gun will stop an attacking pitbull in its tracks and everyone from miles away will know you have it from its big silver style.

One of the best handguns that S&W ever made IMO. There are better choices out there for conceal carry but should serve you well for a home defense/ range gun.

I guess all things are relative? I am not a Smith & Wesson fan at all. In fairness, I have not shot any of their later offerings, and the M&P is a very popular pistol in law enforcement. That said, I think there are much better guns out there with a more proven track record than Smith & Wesson semi-autos. They make a fine revolver, but haven't been able to consistently transition that quallity to their pistols.

I guess all things are relative? I am not a Smith & Wesson fan at all. In fairness, I have not shot any of their later offerings, and the M&P is a very popular pistol in law enforcement. That said, I think there are much better guns out there with a more proven track record than Smith & Wesson semi-autos. They make a fine revolver, but haven't been able to consistently transition that quallity to their pistols.

???

In the pre-Glock days, S&W autos were pretty much the universal LE gun. I've never heard any quality complaints about them.

The Sigma was the biggest POS to ever hit the LE world. Some of their follow ups weren't a whole lot more impressive.

Their first couple of runs of their M&P rifles left a little to be desired also.

I think there are much better guns out there with a more proven track record than Smith & Wesson semi-autos.

You'll get no argument from me on that point.

However I don't think that is what Fowladdict asked. He asked two very specific questions and I offered two opinions to those questions.

Intended use was never mentioned. Is this for daily carry or mostly for carry in the woods? mtmuley

Intended use was never mentioned. Is this for daily carry or mostly for carry in the woods? mtmuley

I basically want a sidearm that is adequate for carrying while in the woods during archery season and at home (should I ever need it). So the question is, if I was to have one sidearm is the 4566 a good choice at 400 bucks? I believe it is between 700-800 new. I am curious if I am better off saving my 400 and putting it towards something else based on what I intend to use it for. Thanks for the comments gents.

It's a pretty good deal at $400. They are heavy and have a fairly large grip. Good if you have big hands, not so good if you don't. I have shot them and they are overall a pretty solid performer, and at $400 a good deal.

400 seems fair. saw one on gunbroker, IIRC, asking 450 plus transfer costs. spook nailed the merits of the mid frame 1911 function.

My Kimber is the same size..not as nose heavy as the full frame.

Last edited:
If it’s in good condition, then it’s a very good deal at $400.
It will serve your intended purpose well enough. Buy an extra magazine and a quality holster if it doesn’t come with one,
Ask to shoot the gun, if you like it, then you really can’t go wrong at $400.

When people ask me to recommend a single general purpose handgun, I almost always recommend a 4”, Stainless .357 D/A revolver. S&W 66, or 686. The .357 revolver would be more versatile and easier to shoot, clean. I don’t know what they cost new, but I’m sure it’s well over $400.

I basically want a sidearm that is adequate for carrying while in the woods during archery season and at home (should I ever need it). So the question is, if I was to have one sidearm is the 4566 a good choice at 400 bucks? I believe it is between 700-800 new. I am curious if I am better off saving my 400 and putting it towards something else based on what I intend to use it for. Thanks for the comments gents.

The Glock 36 would be a very good choice for this. Are you eligible for their public safety discount (fireman, EMT, etc.)?

Kahr makes a pretty nice, lightweight, and slim DAO .45. Their trigger pulls are a little on the long side, but pretty smooth.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a S&W hater, I'll be the first to admit I have a very negative bias against their semi autos.

I am just the opposite regarding SW. Why I like this place.... We can all agree to disagree without throwing things into a .... storm.

The Glock 36 would be a very good choice for this. Are you eligible for their public safety discount (fireman, EMT, etc.)?

Kahr makes a pretty nice, lightweight, and slim DAO .45. Their trigger pulls are a little on the long side, but pretty smooth.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a S&W hater, I'll be the first to admit I have a very negative bias against their semi autos.

I am just the opposite regarding SW. Why I like this place.... We can all agree to disagree without throwing things into a .... storm.

Absolutely.

Now, if the OP was asking about buying a Sigma, I would personally drive to his house and hog tie him to keep him from buying one:cool:

Absolutely.

Now, if the OP was asking about buying a Sigma, I would personally drive to his house and hog tie him to keep him from buying one:cool:

Sigmas are POS. Their metal frame autos are in a whole different class though. I know cuz I've owned both.

Back