Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sell me on a 45-70

I'll go against the grain, I love the newer Henry rifles. I bought a .30-30 of theirs a couple years ago and it's one of my favorite rifles. I actually prefer the tube feed over the side gate, which I think puts me way in the minority. The fit and finish is great, and I prefer how slender it is compared to the Marlins. The wood doesn't suck either.

View attachment 313319
That's good to know as my dislike for Henry has zero thought put into it or experience.

That's good to know as my dislike for Henry has zero thought put into it or experience.

By no means am I slighting the Marlins though. The first rifle I ever bought was a .444 that I will never get rid of. I've shot dozens of lever action marlins over the years and they're fantastic guns. Even the Remlin .45-70 I bought my dad has been great.

By no means am I slighting the Marlins though. The first rifle I ever bought was a .444 that I will never get rid of. I've shot dozens of lever action marlins over the years and they're fantastic guns. Even the Remlin .45-70 I bought my dad has been great.
The latest henrys have tube and side feed

Right. I just mentioned it because I know the magazine feed is often a reason people dislike Henry.
My gripe with them has been mostly fit and finish, because I've mostly just looked at them and shot only one or two. I'm particularly unenamored of whatever is the black stuff on their metal. I like the more traditional designs, real bluing or case coloring, etc. But your gun has a nice stick for sure - but then the ventilated pad? I realize this sounds like trivial stuff. If it works for you is all that counts.

My gripe with them has been mostly fit and finish, because I've mostly just looked at them and shot only one or two. I'm particularly unenamored of whatever is the black stuff on their metal. I like the more traditional designs, real bluing or case coloring, etc. But your gun has a nice stick for sure - but then the ventilated pad? I realize this sounds like trivial stuff. If it works for you is all that counts.

I'm seeing lots of case-colored, brass and nickel options on the Henry website, none on Marlin's.

There are 2 components to getting a 45-70.

First is the cartridge itself. Cool doesn’t even come close to describing the 45-70. It has been the standard by which all other black powder era guns are measured. A 45-70 will not only kill anything you want to shoot with it, but it will do it with a pedigree and history, no other cartridges has.

Second, Winchester or Sharps is what helps carry that pedigree of the cartridge the farthest. I have killed almost everything in Montana with both rifles in 45-70 and continue to hunt and shoot them regularly, adding to the fun and pleasure of shooting.

There are tons of guns out there to satisfy your urge to shoot a 45-70, but none will reward you like one of the original, Winchester or Sharps…

56228950362__46C953C8-1D2B-46B0-AD82-3EC96A003AA9.jpegthumbnail_IMG_4967 (1).jpeg100_0357.jpegIMG_5291.jpeg100_1559.jpegRodgersbuffalo_zps2896f8b8.jpegscan0004-3.jpeg

I'll go against the grain, I love the newer Henry rifles. I bought a .30-30 of theirs a couple years ago and it's one of my favorite rifles. I actually prefer the tube feed over the side gate, which I think puts me way in the minority. The fit and finish is great, and I prefer how slender it is compared to the Marlins. The wood doesn't suck either.

View attachment 313319
I will say, the majority of the newer Henry's do have nice wood on them.

I will say, the majority of the newer Henry's do have nice wood on them.
I'm glad Henry is there making new guns and with new designs that give at least a nod to the history of lever guns. But they aren't for me.

When you are old and feeble or even long gone, will that gun look the part of the stories it has written? I wonder about that, and much more so with the plastic/camo/stainless/scoped guns of today. Why that should matter when all I will be doing doing is feeding worms, I do not know, but I am concerned with such things. :)

There are 2 components to getting a 45-70.

First is the cartridge itself. Cool doesn’t even come close to describing the 45-70. It has been the standard by which all other black powder era guns are measured. A 45-70 will not only kill anything you want to shoot with it, but it will do it with a pedigree and history, no other cartridges has.

Second, Winchester or Sharps is what helps carry that pedigree of the cartridge the farthest. I have killed almost everything in Montana with both rifles in 45-70 and continue to hunt and shoot them regularly, adding to the fun and pleasure of shooting.

There are tons of guns out there to satisfy your urge to shoot a 45-70, but none will reward you like one of the original, Winchester or Sharps…

View attachment 313320View attachment 313321View attachment 313322View attachment 313323View attachment 313325View attachment 313326View attachment 313327
Too fancy for me. Nice guns though.

I'm glad Henry is there making new guns and with new designs that give at least a nod to the history of lever guns. But they aren't for me.

When you are old and feeble or even long gone, will that gun look the part of the stories it has written? I wonder about that, and much more so with the plastic/camo/stainless/scoped guns of today. Why that should matter when all I will be doing doing is feeding worms, I do not know, but I am concerned with such things. :)
I get it, and no, the Henry's don't really trip my trigger either. But they do have a couple of redeeming qualities. I still convert every one of those goofy magazines that I can!

I can't say enough good things about what Ruger has done with Marlin so far. They've got some more walnut/blued models in the queue for release.

View attachment 313319
I've always enjoyed shooting an iron sight 30-30 & need to get back to doing it. That Henry has some good looking wood.

I have a hard time imagining that I won't appreciate that gun in my older years because it has a vented recoil pad.
Then, you are gtg. Vented pads were pretty common in the mid20th century on those eastern deer rifles so they are not "wrong"

I had the Remington Marlin SBL but sold it and got the Ruger made when they came out. Probably my favorite rifle. 380 grain Lehigh is my go to bullet in it. I've taken an elk, couple bears, and boars with it. I lightly load it with a 300 grain soft cast bullet and pull the scope off then shoot jackrabbits with it sometimes.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1706803772986.jpg
    FB_IMG_1706803772986.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 9
Though I would love to have a lever gun in 45-70, the unfathomable pricing new retail or GB used turns me away. The CVA Scout is reasonable and here’s a place that’ll install a peep rib open sights: https://eabco.com/eabco-cva-scout-peeprib-kit.html

However, the Scout comes 25” long which is absurd. I’d have to also pay to shorten down to 18”.

Another reason to start rolling your own: 45-70 originated as a BP cartridge and BP still works today. With a drop tube and compression plug, could probably get close to 70g under 405gr lead. And there’s also this camp meat/guard load using three 45 balls or 00 buck over reduced BP loading which I’m sure would smoke grouse or may be useful in states that allow buckshot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back