Sell me on a 45-70

Just saw this at a local gun shoe this afternoon. JM Marlin 45-70 guide gun, looks to be in great shape. What should I offer?IMG_1118.jpegIMG_1119.jpeg

Yeah, that’s why it didn’t go home with me. Was wondering if anyone knew what a reasonable offer would be.
That is definitely high end GB pricing right there. If you can knock 300 bucks off that you are getting closer. Don’t worry if you miss it, there are others around.

And think about the configuration / there are many variants. Decide whether you want that short guide gun, sqared lever, straight stock, the porting and side safety. Just make sure you want exactly those features, otherwise wait for a better gun (for you) AND a better deal.

Last edited:
How about a .45-90 instead?

20240127_123447.jpg

Saw these at the Des Moines gunshot today. Can't say that the prices good. Seemed high to me.

Well, i for one jumped on the 45-70 bandwagon.
Albeit with a Henry Brass Single Shot.
Finally got to shoot it today.
What a hoot!!!
And packs a whallop!!

The only thing I'm looking to upgrade is the sights.
The brass front bead is hard to pick up.

Thinking either a fiber optic front sight, or putting a red dot on it.

Curious about the new marlins/henrys.

Always been a dream to hunt elk in timber with a big bore short barrel lever gun!

Curious about the new marlins/henrys.

Always been a dream to hunt elk in timber with a big bore short barrel lever gun!
I'd opt for a Ruger-Marlin or an early Marlin.

I'm not a fan of Henries. There, I said it. I know others will disagree, and probably with more experience than me but so it goes.

Would you consider a single shot like an '85 Winchester or a Ballard or Sharps?

I'd opt for a Ruger-Marlin or an early Marlin.

I'm not a fan of Henries. There, I said it. I know others will disagree, and probably with more experience than me but so it goes.

Would you consider a single shot like an '85 Winchester or a Ballard or Sharps?
No - it simply has to be a repeater. I don't really know why.

One of these in HT favorite (6.5 creedmoor) or 308 might foot the bill, but for some reason it just doesnt get the same nostalgia as a big bore.

I'll go against the grain, I love the newer Henry rifles. I bought a .30-30 of theirs a couple years ago and it's one of my favorite rifles. I actually prefer the tube feed over the side gate, which I think puts me way in the minority. The fit and finish is great, and I prefer how slender it is compared to the Marlins. The wood doesn't suck either.

Screenshot_20240131_133646_Gallery.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back