Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sell me on a 45-70

Nick87

Looking for advice on a 45-70 lever gun, I've always wanted one no idea why. I know very little about lever guns. This one will get used for hunting so nothing too fancy. I'm wanting a Marlin or a Winchester but I don't know which ones to look for. This isn't something I'm buying today or even this year necessarily I just want to know what to look for for when I find the right deal. So what to look? for jm stamp etc? Nothing in stainless either while I love stainless it just doesn't do it for me in a lever gun. Any models known for better quality or any that are known for problems?

The Marlins are great guns, I'd go JM stamped pre safety if buying a Marlin, just personal preference. I can't stand a safety on a lever gun.
My personal preference would be if going 45-70, go Winchester 1886.

The Marlins are great guns, I'd go JM stamped pre safety if buying a Marlin, just personal preference. I can't stand a safety on a lever gun.
I just wrote a long treatise on the advantages of a Marlin over the Winchester, but it disappeared. The short synopsis is Winchester (incl. Browning/Miroku) = good, Marlin, esp. original 1895 = more betterer.

Why a .45-70?

One thing that is great about lever guns is that they are fun to shoot - a lot. A whole bunch. Like 100s of times, not 10s of times. And .45-70s are a bit more punishing and expensive for that. If you are only going to shoot deer and antelope and tin cans, I'd recommend considering something like a .38-40 or .44-40 Marlin 1894. They are like .22s but with big diameter thumpers that will make you giggle every time you pull the trigger (which is MUCH easier to tune in a Marlin than a Winchester).

I just wrote a long treatise on the advantages of a Marlin over the Winchester, but it disappeared. The short synopsis is Winchester (incl. Browning/Miroku) = good, Marlin, esp. original 1895 = more betterer.

Why a .45-70?

One thing that is great about lever guns is that they are fun to shoot - a lot. A whole bunch. Like 100s of times, not 10s of times. And .45-70s are a bit more punishing and expensive for that. If you are only going to shoot deer and antelope and tin cans, I'd recommend considering something like a .38-40 or .44-40 Marlin 1894. They are like .22s but with big diameter thumpers that will make you giggle every time you pull the trigger (which is MUCH easier to tune in a Marlin than a Winchester).
Always wanted one and that's what it's gonna be. Good possibility if I ever am able to take my bucket list Yukon moose hunt that's what I'd take along.

Always wanted one and that's what it's gonna be. Good possibility if I ever am able to take my bucket list Yukon moose hunt that's what I'd take along.
Now you are talking! Perfect reason for a .45-70. I bought one for the job but it was a basket and bubba gun that took a couple years to get right. So I end up taking a Marlin Ballard .45-70 to the Yukon for moose instead.

Get a rifle, not a carbine. Just my personal opinion. Better sight radius, more weight, better balance, better club if you need one :).

This is my often posted 1895 .45-70. It's killed only a doe antelope for me, so far, and made one trip to AK for bears - unsuccessful.

4VrAryP.jpg

Now you are talking! Perfect reason for a .45-70. I bought one for the job but it was a basket and bubba gun that took a couple years to get right. So I end up taking a Marlin Ballard .45-70 to the Yukon for moose instead.

Get a rifle, not a carbine. Just my personal opinion. Better sight radius, more weight, better balance, better club if you need one :).

This is my often posted 1895 .45-70. It's killed only a doe antelope for me, so far, and made one trip to AK for bears - unsuccessful.

4VrAryP.jpg
I love fencepost pics of fine shootin' irons Brent.

4VrAryP.jpg
you need to stop posting that gun... I drool like Pavlov's dogs every time you do.

Ditto the safety thing.
New production Winchester 1886's have a tang safety right where I would put my Lyman peep sight.
The Euro clones still have the rebound hammer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back