Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bergara Wilderness HMR issue

YoungGun

A Co-worker of mine recently bought a Bergara Wilderness HMR in .300 Win Mag. I leveled and mounted the scope (Vortex Viper HST/Warne Rings), tightening everything to spec with a torque wrench. He followed Bergara's prescribed barrel break in instructions to a T -say what you want about various break in methods. The rifle will NOT shoot anywhere near acceptable groups, either clean or fouled. He's shot 3 factor loads: Nosler Trophy Grade with 180gr Accubonds; HSM Trophy Gold with 185gr Berger VLDs, and Federal Premium Terminal Ascent with 200gr Polymer Tipped bonded boat tail. The best 3 shot group is maybe 1.5-1.75", but most have been anywhere from 4-6" at 100 yards. The groups have seemed to tighten up as the rifle has been fouled more. I don't believe it's the shooter, as the owner is one of the snipers for our tac team, and a second sniper has shot it as well with the same poor results. Both shot quarter minute groups the same range day with their department rifles.

Any suggestions beyond sending it back to Bergara? I know he could try a few more loads, but for the price of the rifle, you'd think it would be a bit more omnivorous, and I'd hate to see him buy a few more boxes at $50-100/box to find out he has a dud. Thanks!

Bergara.jpg

Bergara WILL manage to get a 3-round group out of it using their weird ass DRT 175gr match ammo (no matter how many boxes it takes). They'll blame the shooter and ghost you.

My advice is to send it back so that you can sell it as a "proofed" rifle to recoup some of your cost, but stop wasting ammo on it and buy a Tikka.

Bergara WILL manage to get a 3-round group out of it using their weird ass DRT 175gr match ammo (no matter how many boxes it takes). They'll blame the shooter and ghost you.

My advice is to send it back so that you can sell it as a "proofed" rifle to recoup some of your cost, but stop wasting ammo on it and buy a Tikka.
I had recommended a Tikka prior to him buying this, but here we are. I figured as much for him sending it in. To me, it's a lemon. Glad to see that the link @Wind Gypsy shared shows my coworker isn't alone on this. In regards to the Viper- I've had the HSLR on my Tikka since 2015 with no issues- half to three quarter minute groups with most factory ammo, and it's tracked well for all the dialing it's ever done. Is it a Schmidt and Bender or Kahles? No. Would I buy it again for my next rifle? Also no- but it has fit the bill thus far. I just don't think this particular Bergara my buddy has is fit to see any scope on it. Our first day of shooting, the groups from the Noslers were 5" right of center, while the Federals were 3" left of center without us adjusting point of aim or the scope.

He's going to send the rifle back. We'll see what happens next.

The pillar blocks are flat and not concave to fit up to the action. If you pull the action out of the stock and see a shiny line it needs to be bedded. Mine was bad and that turned it into a solid 3/4 MOA gun.
My tikka had the same issue. There is no magic bullet. These are all mass produced guns, lemons exist.

My tikka had the same issue. There is no magic bullet. These are all mass produced guns, lemons exist.
My thoughts exactly. The true mark of a mass-production manufacturer is how they deal with the lemons. Do they make it right (#1), look for the easiest way to ignore you (#2) or flat out ghost you (#3). In my experience, Savage was #1, Bergara was #2 and Fierce was #3. Haven't had a bad Tikka yet, but only two so far.

I had a similar issue, and loose action screws were the culprit. After torqueing them to spec, the rifle shot lights-out again. Quite possible you've checked that already, but if not, worth giving it a look :)

I had a similar issue, and loose action screws were the culprit. After torqueing them to spec, the rifle shot lights-out again. Quite possible you've checked that already, but if not, worth giving it a look :)
We haven't- we'll give that a go!

They had a history of tight muzzle brakes needing to be bored out as well. Take off the brake and see if it shoots better or of it was loose. Then trade it in for a Tikka.

Earlier this year I bought a Bergara 14 Hunter. 3”-3.5” groups with several different ammo types. Called Bergara. They sent me a UPS shipping label. 4-5 weeks later I received a new rifle. First rifle action was not to spec. New rifle is shooting under an inch at 200 yards.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back