Say goodbye to another Montana BMA

Hell of a loss.

For years I'd go antelope hunting north of there and once the tags were filled we'd go slay some birds on The Teigen. Think of all the pressure that BMA would get, and now imagine where that pressure will go....It sure seems like Central Montana is being bought up and closed out quickly.

Not too many dots to connect on that one. What a shame.

I'm shocked. Thats where I've been hunting now for a few years. Great area, with lots of different terrain for a "non mountainous" area...... good for walks! That sucks. Oh well.... time to branch out explore new territory. For me, maybe thats a blessing in disguise!

What an absolute shame. The opportunity to get a conservation easement on this ranch was a huge and timely one, and one that FWP and the Commission botched beyond all belief.

Let's be honest here, who would rather have the Milk River Ranch over the Tiegen? If you raised your hand, you should put the pipe down.

What an absolute shame. The opportunity to get a conservation easement on this ranch was a huge and timely one, and one that FWP and the Commission botched beyond all belief.

Let's be honest here, who would rather have the Milk River Ranch over the Tiegen? If you raised your hand, you should put the pipe down.

Was it the FWP or was it that the Milk River Ranch owners had a good friend in Gov. Schweitzer? I would suggest it is the latter and not the former.

Nemont

Was it the FWP or was it that the Milk River Ranch owners had a good friend in Gov. Schweitzer? I would suggest it is the latter and not the former.

Nemont

It was the latter. The director of FWP was Schweitzer's BFF.

Imagine if Schweitzer had been out to get the maximum amount of lands opened permanently for Montana hunters. I wonder the difference in hunter days there is between the Teigen Ranch and the Milk River Ranch.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_54a83269-422a-5390-8c13-ee5c86ab7247.html

The bulk of the funding for the FWP portion initially was going to be federal Pittman-Robertson dollars, which are raised nationwide through the sale of guns and ammunition.

But FWP recently realized that because of the artifacts on the property it would be a lengthy process to go that route; instead the entire purchase will be funded through Habitat Montana money, which comes from the sale of hunting licenses.

P
Ken McDonald, FWP wildlife bureau chief, said on Monday that Habitat Montana has about $6 million in it. After the $4.7 million is paid for the Milk River Ranch and $1.3 million is spent for adding 981 acres to the Seven Sisters Wildlife Management Area – both items on the FWP Commission’s Dec. 10 agenda – the Habitat Montana fund will be drained.

McDonald said that means some projects that they have obligated money for now have to be put on hold. In particular, he noted that the proposal to purchase a conservation easement on 22,000 acres of the Teigen Ranch in Fergus and Petroleum counties won’t be moving forward.

The Teigen Ranch was one of the top five priorities for FWP regional supervisors, who reviewed and ranked land project proposals in May at the request of the wildlife bureau.

McDonald said they should have new money in the Habitat Montana fund at the beginning of the state’s fiscal year, which starts July 1, but he’s not sure how much.

Dan Teigen, one of the Teigen Ranch owners, was disappointed that conservation easement activity is being postponed. He noted that the ranch is for sale, and he was hoping to get the easements in place in order to keep it open to the public once it’s sold.

“I guess it all comes down to priorities, and what the decision makers on the Land Board and FWP Commission think,” Teigen said. “There are pros and cons with the reality of the market. I have my preferences for protecting Montana’s heritage and my ranch, but I know there’s many pieces to this.

“But if there’s a delay, that adds to the risk of some oil billionaire from Texas coming in and buying the place, then sticking up no trespassing signs."

They knew the risk of what would happen back in 2012.

http://helenair.com/news/local/land...cle_c9f35ed4-3271-11e2-a9e5-001a4bcf887a.html

Nobody can blame this on the Wilkes Bros. They are living by the Golden Rule: Who ever has the Gold makes the rules. This can be blamed solely on the esteemed former Governor's insistence that his family friend be rewarded a huge amount of public funds.

Nobody can pretend that isn't a fact and once again thanks Gov. Schweitzer.

https://youtu.be/4hxV_opic-A

Nemont

Last edited:
Nobody can blame this on the Wilkes Bros. They are living by the Golden Rule: Who ever has the Gold makes the rules. This can be blamed solely on the esteemed former Governor's insistence that his family friend be rewarded a huge amount of public funds.

Nobody can pretend that isn't a fact and once again thanks Gov. Schweitzer.

Nemont

I don't blame whoever bought it for buying it. It is a great property within a 2 hour drive from home for me. I have taken some great Muleys there. Seen many more as well as whitetail and pheasant. My initial thought was if the Wilk's bought it, this would be a much better bargaining chip than the Anchor in my opinion. However, I think the value of this land is more than they would be willing to part with if they are the ones who in fact bought it. They are businessmen after all. Time will tell.

I wondered if it was the Wilks as well, called someone from Lewistown yesterday morning. It is another wealthy out of state buyer, but from Tennessee. I was told he is trying to buy part of it but wants to unload part. Was told the Wilks looked at it before, but it didnt have some particulars of what they wanted.

I wondered if it was the Wilks as well, called someone from Lewistown yesterday morning. It is another wealthy out of state buyer, but from Tennessee. I was told he is trying to buy part of it but wants to unload part. Was told the Wilks looked at it before, but it didnt have some particulars of what they wanted.

Thanks, I was just assuming it was the Wilks and you know what happen when you assume.

Nemont

That sucks. We used to hunt out there often. I've shot deer, antelope, and many birds there. Sad to see it go.

Your damn right I would! I'm not saying somebody shouldn't have bought it. But it would have been nice if MTFWP had purchased the easement. I just jumped to the conclusion that is was the Wilks. Which as it turns out it looks like I was wrong. So I'm eating my words on that. However, that does not mean it does not suck. It was a large area with that had some good quality. Just sad to see it go.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back